• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Yes - but why are people so drawn to evil?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Not sure, exactly, but it affects everyone to a point-Christian or not.

Could be that the answer lies within the fall of Adam somewhere and the curse God placed on mankind. Or, at least a symptom of the fall.

It's also a glaring indication that we are still seperated from God in our current state.

t.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

secondeve,

Truth be told, nobody is certain what will happen to them after death;

I beg to differ, My Savior lives and I will stand upon my own two feet and see God with my own two eyes.

This is a surety to me. :noidea: Now that is comforting.

I also want to take a poke at your observation about blackness. No one can know the blackness of death I think you said?

I would offer that it is completely opposed to the Light and Life now visible to you.

Joh

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Secondeve,

Hi, how's it going? I used to be an atheist. I hated and despised the Word of God. I went out of my way to debate with Christians and give them a piece of my mind! I thought the idea of God was ridiculous. I believed in evolution - I thought creationists were crackpots! Strange how thing's can change, eh? Especially when God works.

I know your situation - and before I got saved - I would probably have agreed with everything you're saying! However - having been at both extremes (i.e. Hardline atheist who hated Christians - and now a cimmitted Christian with evangelical beliefs) I can telll you which one is best!

No matter how well things are going in your atheist life - there will always be something missing. An empty space which can never be filled. And, no matter how hard you search - you will never find the answers to life.

So, what if you're wrong about God? And what if we're right?

1. If there is no God...

So what? Then, according to you - I'll just go six feet under and that's it. I won't be alive to feel regretful for wasting my life on the Bible. And to be honest, it wouldn't be a regret anyway - because I'm enjoying life more than ever at the minute!

BUT

2. If God does exist...

You'll end up spending an eternity in Hell and all those years that you spent denying God will come back to haunt you. You'll have no chance to escape and you will suffer pain every day and night for an eternity.

Revelation 20:10 - "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

Revelation 20:15 - "And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

Just sit back and think about it for a minute. If you're wrong (and there's a good possiblity you could be) then you'll suffer grave consequences.

It's like gambling everything you have on the toss of a coin.

If it lands on heads, you're okay. Nothing gained, nothing lost.

BUT

If you land on tails - not only do you lose everything you have - but you also have to suffer the pain and torment of that decision forever.

------

So you see, that's quite a risk you're taking. You're gambling with the devil. Does that not bother you?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,580
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Birthday:  04/13/1960

I think it's important to note that many (Not sure if I could guess on the actual ratio) Christians were atheists before they accepted Christ- as in my case.

I couldn't care less about God, Jesus, the Bible, or religion in general before I asked Him into my heart as my Savior.

I still lived a decent enough life, to a point. For 34 years I lived without any form of religion squirming it's way into my being.

Then, one day- BAM!

But, my point is, hundreds of thousands of us remember what it's like before salvation. Personally, I didn't realize the love of Christ before I accepted Him, but He certainly did not fail to help me once I honestly asked.

People who do not accept Jesus are not any more evil than anyone else.

t.

Thank you for that ted :wub::24:

Many don't remember when they walked in the dark and yet still were decent human beings with the same morals and values. Just FYI for everyone, this post is not to bash athiests. Eve has demonstrated a respect for us and we should do the same. She is of value to these boards and I will have to get the :emot-pray: macstoogies :24: to see that it stays respectable :P

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

I remember what I was like before Jesus pulled me out of the trash I was in. I wasn't decent or moral and all I valued was my own pleasure. I'm glad I was that way, becaude if I wasn't, it might've been very difficult for me to see my need for a savior. It also prevents me from looking down on others because I know I've probably done worse than anyone I know.

Eve, you seem to be the opposite of how I was. You're nice, respectable, giving, humble.....and if you're happy with your life, I'm happy for you. I like you a lot. I'm glad you're here. I know it must be so confusing for an atheist, all these religions claiming they're right. How do you know if any are right? All I'd like to say is keep searching. You're very educated and intelligent, so I know you value truth. You'll find it if you keep looking.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

1. If there is no God...

So what? Then, according to you - I'll just go six feet under and that's it. I won't be alive to feel regretful for wasting my life on the Bible. And to be honest, it wouldn't be a regret anyway - because I'm enjoying life more than ever at the minute!

BUT

2. If God does exist...

You'll end up spending an eternity in Hell and all those years that you spent denying God will come back to haunt you. You'll have no chance to escape and you will suffer pain every day and night for an eternity.

So you see, that's quite a risk you're taking. You're gambling with the devil. Does that not bother you?

I find it funny you used the word gamble, cause you just totally exemplified the fallacy of Pascal's Gambit (or Pascal's Wager).

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,580
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Birthday:  04/13/1960

1. If there is no God...

BUT

2. If God does exist...

I find it funny you used the word gamble, cause you just totally exemplified the fallacy of Pascal's Gambit (or Pascal's Wager).

:thumbsup: macstoogie #4-4 :wub: There will be no arguements nor sarcasm on this thread. Humor and respect is allowed :wub:

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,276
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  02/21/1986

Since AAA never came back to answer my question, maybe you can.

Why is there so much evil in the world?

And why does evil make "better drama"?

Why in "Reality TV" do people prefer watching the rat race to be won by the number 1 rat, rather than watching people doing good to each other and building each other up? (And when they do see the better side of humanity, why do so many mock it - "Bring out the tissues - gag!" and such comments? - I saw this from the message board of "Who Wants to Be a Superhero?" BTW)

And can yoiu answer this from your "heart" (the depths of your soul) rather than your "head"?

Good question, nebula - I'll be the first to admit that this is just what I think, but seeing as that's what you've asked for, here goes:

In nature, animals kill to eat, to keep from being eaten, in terratorial fights or over mates. That's just what people do - with one exception. We also kill for pleasure. Animals, when not killing for food, fight and sometimes kill because it demonstrates power. It makes the other animals aware that they are a force to be reckoned with. This is what I think happens with people. We commit horrible crimes because we want to show how powerful we are, or to feel in control. There are crimes like rape, because we see something that we want and endeavour to take it. We kill out of fear or in self-defence, protecting our territory or our herd. We kill to show who is the strongest alpha, or squabble to decide who gets first pick at the best food. The difference between humans and other animals is that we're smarter. We can think through, plan ahead. We recognise why certain acts make us feel strong, and we recognise the power of fear and awe and aggression. But we have dexterous hands, tricky minds and better tools. And those things in combination can make us brutal. They are also the same things which can make us brilliant, and caring, and clever. But we still evolved from animals, and when circumstances or anger force us down to the bones of our selves, where survival of us and ours is all that matters, we become either scavengers, prey, or predators. They're simple terms, and ugly ones - we can still think and be human, but we know that, when all other choices or normality have been stripped from us, those are the options left. Indifference is just as dangerous - and it comes from a herd mentality. Before all others, I protect my tribe, my pack, my people. Why should I send my money to help those who are starving in Africa? They aren't my pack. But when we are at our best, and we use empathy, we recognise that yes, they are like us.

How many times have you driven by a car-crash and seen people gawking? Morbid curiosity. We're glad we're not the ones in the car, but we want to look. We're curious creatures. And gossipy. The reason we like a bit of tragedy or drama in our stories is because they'd be bland without them. Nobody wants to read about Sally-who-has-a-perfect-life, because Sally-who-has-a-perfect-life doesn't exist. We live with our little struggles everyday, and we like to see other people going through the same thing. It isn't that we want bad things to happen to other people - we just know that, sooner or later, they will, because that's how it is with everyone on the planet. We want to hear about things that are real, or which, in the right light, look real. I loathe reality TV, because they invariably dredge up uninteresting, dramatic, showy people who wouldn't know a good conversation if it was brought to them asleep on a chair. But people watch for three reasons. We know that bad things happen, and so we are curious when circumstances allow us to view them objectively, at a distance - i.e., when they are happening to someone else, so that maybe we can understand them better when it's our turn. We like suspense and drama because they thrill us - will they defuse the bomb in time? Will he get the girl? Will she be ok? - because they make us feel as if we were living that experience, too, and it gives us the rush of chemicals we might get if it did happen to us, but without the personal anxiety. And, finally, we recognise when stories are false. Even mythology is without perfection. The gods always start out with good intentions, but some little trickster or enemy ruins it. Lots of times, we start out immortal. But someone makes a mistake, and death comes to man. We start out friends with the animals, but again, it doesn't last. I think, in a way, we understand that we can only appreciate the good times when we understand that they don't last - because then we know how special they are.

Does that answer your question?

1. If there is no God...

BUT

2. If God does exist...

Revelation 20:10 - "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

Revelation 20:15 - "And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

I have answered this SO many times. And I say the same thing here as I have elsewhere: you act as if Christianity were the only religion. What if Islam or Hinuism is right? You'd have realised there's a god, but picked the wrong faith - so off to hell with you! The same as me. If there is a god, you've got hundreds of religions to pick from. How can you be sure which is the right one? Alternatively, there is a God but humans have never got it right. Or there is no god at all. Either way, if Mormonism was the right answer, or Mayan sun-worship, you're in just as much trouble as me. And given what I know about mythology and human nature - I think the odds are in my favour :thumbsup:

Guest Thomas I Believe

Since AAA never came back to answer my question, maybe you can.

Why is there so much evil in the world?

And why does evil make "better drama"?

Why in "Reality TV" do people prefer watching the rat race to be won by the number 1 rat, rather than watching people doing good to each other and building each other up? (And when they do see the better side of humanity, why do so many mock it - "Bring out the tissues - gag!" and such comments? - I saw this from the message board of "Who Wants to Be a Superhero?" BTW)

And can yoiu answer this from your "heart" (the depths of your soul) rather than your "head"?

Good question, nebula - I'll be the first to admit that this is just what I think, but seeing as that's what you've asked for, here goes:

In nature, animals kill to eat, to keep from being eaten, in terratorial fights or over mates. That's just what people do - with one exception. We also kill for pleasure. Animals, when not killing for food, fight and sometimes kill because it demonstrates power. It makes the other animals aware that they are a force to be reckoned with. This is what I think happens with people. We commit horrible crimes because we want to show how powerful we are, or to feel in control. There are crimes like rape, because we see something that we want and endeavour to take it. We kill out of fear or in self-defence, protecting our territory or our herd. We kill to show who is the strongest alpha, or squabble to decide who gets first pick at the best food. The difference between humans and other animals is that we're smarter. We can think through, plan ahead. We recognise why certain acts make us feel strong, and we recognise the power of fear and awe and aggression. But we have dexterous hands, tricky minds and better tools. And those things in combination can make us brutal. They are also the same things which can make us brilliant, and caring, and clever. But we still evolved from animals, and when circumstances or anger force us down to the bones of our selves, where survival of us and ours is all that matters, we become either scavengers, prey, or predators. They're simple terms, and ugly ones - we can still think and be human, but we know that, when all other choices or normality have been stripped from us, those are the options left. Indifference is just as dangerous - and it comes from a herd mentality. Before all others, I protect my tribe, my pack, my people. Why should I send my money to help those who are starving in Africa? They aren't my pack. But when we are at our best, and we use empathy, we recognise that yes, they are like us.

How many times have you driven by a car-crash and seen people gawking? Morbid curiosity. We're glad we're not the ones in the car, but we want to look. We're curious creatures. And gossipy. The reason we like a bit of tragedy or drama in our stories is because they'd be bland without them. Nobody wants to read about Sally-who-has-a-perfect-life, because Sally-who-has-a-perfect-life doesn't exist. We live with our little struggles everyday, and we like to see other people going through the same thing. It isn't that we want bad things to happen to other people - we just know that, sooner or later, they will, because that's how it is with everyone on the planet. We want to hear about things that are real, or which, in the right light, look real. I loathe reality TV, because they invariably dredge up uninteresting, dramatic, showy people who wouldn't know a good conversation if it was brought to them asleep on a chair. But people watch for three reasons. We know that bad things happen, and so we are curious when circumstances allow us to view them objectively, at a distance - i.e., when they are happening to someone else, so that maybe we can understand them better when it's our turn. We like suspense and drama because they thrill us - will they defuse the bomb in time? Will he get the girl? Will she be ok? - because they make us feel as if we were living that experience, too, and it gives us the rush of chemicals we might get if it did happen to us, but without the personal anxiety. And, finally, we recognise when stories are false. Even mythology is without perfection. The gods always start out with good intentions, but some little trickster or enemy ruins it. Lots of times, we start out immortal. But someone makes a mistake, and death comes to man. We start out friends with the animals, but again, it doesn't last. I think, in a way, we understand that we can only appreciate the good times when we understand that they don't last - because then we know how special they are.

Does that answer your question?

1. If there is no God...

BUT

2. If God does exist...

I have answered this SO many times. And I say the same thing here as I have elsewhere: you act as if Christianity were the only religion. What if Islam or Hinuism is right? You'd have realised there's a god, but picked the wrong faith - so off to hell with you! The same as me. If there is a god, you've got hundreds of religions to pick from. How can you be sure which is the right one? Alternatively, there is a God but humans have never got it right. Or there is no god at all. Either way, if Mormonism was the right answer, or Mayan sun-worship, you're in just as much trouble as me. And given what I know about mythology and human nature - I think the odds are in my favour :thumbsup:

Im really saddened that you would think the odds are in your favor. Delusion of a falsity leads to many dead ends, pain, misery, hell. There is only one true and Living God. Nothing or no one can convince me otherwise.