• Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/04/1963

Grace to you.

[...]

Peace,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that post (No 47: Reply to Emeraldgirl). We have quite a lot of commomn ground regarding our walk into Salvation as it usually happens amongst Christians.

Keep witnessing, Bro!

Blessings.

Edited by Jorge S

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Isn't anyone else crazy in love with Jesus today??? Everyday???

:36::6::8::emot-hug::emot-hug::emot-hug::emot-hug::wub::wub:

YIPPEE!!!...GOD IS AWESOME! JESUS LIVES! :thumbsup::emot-hug::emot-hug:

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,276
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  02/21/1986

If we like our characters a bit "dark", why do we demand perfection out of them? We want our "heros" to be model citizens, don't we?

Also, would you consider Mother Theresa to be boring?

I'm not sure we do demand perfection of dark characters

Sorry, our communication got mixed up. I meant we like our "good guy" characters a bit dark, yet we demand perfection out of them.

Isn't that a contradiction in terms, though? Perfect but flawed? Or do you mean that they always act correctly, despite being dark?

Why do so many people enjoy watching people getting rotten with each other?

Take Survivor - is it possible to get ahead without being a complete jerk? Or at least being a subtle jerk?

Honestly? I think it's just human nature to pick up the rotten log and look at the muck underneath. We're fascinated with other people's flaws and tragedies, because they distract us from our own. We like watching people being jerks to other jerks, because if we don't like any of them, we like to see that they all get their comeuppance. If we've decided we like one of the contestants, we feel good when they win and angry when they lose - because we like to compete. We also like to probe strange ideas like death or gore or rudeness and see how far we can get, how long we can stick it out before it bothers us, testing our limits and the limits - by proxy, in shows like this - of other people. And, in a way, deep down, we watch and smile a little because we're glad it isn't us - then again, on reality TV, some people might think those shows are great and want to be on them, so they could be a jerk for once and be loved for it. And I think that's as good an answer as I can give. :24:

If we are products of evolution, and evolution is about improving to survive - why do we have such a facination for regression?

Who says it's regression? I'd just call it the flipside. Example: my boyfriend's best and worst trait is his passion. When he gets into something, he works with dedication and enthusiasm, because he gets personally involved in what he's doing. If something upsets him, he works up a temper and takes it personally. Both reactions are the result of the one personality trait, but are different expressions of it in different circumstances. Schardenfredue is a negative inverse of a survival mechanism: noting what others do wrong, so you don't do it yourself, is good, but being glad it's happened to them and not you, while occasionally pragmatic, is still unpleasant. Morbid curiosity reflects other curiosity: good or bad, we want to see what's happening. Gossip is the other side of being interested in people: we want to talk about the bad as well as the good. Or so my theory goes, in this respect.

Put another way, why would we evolve an instinct for curiosity if we only looked at good stuff? How could we learn from negative experiences if we were never interested in them?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,276
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  02/21/1986

The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned

Then how does anyone ever convert, if they have to be godly already in order to hear God?

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

You must have faith to receive the spirit. We all have a soul we do not all have the holy spirit w/in.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  489
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  02/12/1964

Then how does anyone ever convert, if they have to be godly already in order to hear God?

secondeve,

You dont have to be godly to convert....You have to be able to admit that you ARE NOT...and be willing to repent and SEEK Gods forgiveness.

The purpose of hearing Gods voice is to grow in the knowledge and understanding of God. Before you can do that however you must come to him.

You come as you ARE...!! You can never reach a point in your own efforts where you will be able to say..."Ok, I'm good enough to take that step now."

Jesus said, "all you who are weary and heavy ladened, come to me and I will give you rest. Learn from me for I am gentle and humble of heart. Take my yoke upon you for my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

He doesnt say fix yourself up before you try to come into my presence..Get your act together first......

He says come just as you are, burdens and all. Worries and all...Sins and all. Come to ME and I will give you REST FOR YOUR SOULS.

Jesus came for the sinner. You have to be able to admit that you ARE a sinner.

Regards,

Ben.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

You must have faith to receive the spirit. We all have a soul we do not all have the holy spirit w/in.

What about those who had faith that they'd receive the spirit, yet felt nothing after a period of time? Is that person supposed to just stick with it and continue to have faith?

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Eve, I know that you havent the foggiest idea of who I am but I beg of you to listen and believe me.

I have felt God's presence with me, it brought me to tears.

It was almost like I could reach out and touch Him.

It was the most peaceful and calming feeling I ever had.

I was alone in my thoughts and praying when I opened my eyes and KNEW He was there.

This probably means nothing to you, but I have NO doubt in my mind or heart or soul that Jesus exists as our Savior.

Can't you just take my word for it and Believe in Him for yourself?

It wont cost you anything, it doesnt require you to DO anything but believe.

Your world will change and you will be blessed.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

lypse,

What about those who had faith that they'd receive the spirit, yet felt nothing after a period of time? Is that person supposed to just stick with it and continue to have faith?

Joh