>> Hannah <<

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  636
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

1CO 7:5 consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

pointer i know you are fixing to enlighten me on things I'm ready , bring it on LOL I am willing to learn I know what i have read , and I know you have other resources that you bring things from, you said that fasting is not in the oldest transscripts which ones are you talking about?

Why did you not ask that question the first time? Why have you re-posted what may be Satan's work?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

re-post what may be satan's work? now i need to ask what are you talking about?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

We are instructed in how to fast in Matthew 6:16-18 by Jesus himself.

Fasting can be a means used in turning back to God. In the book of Jonah you can see they turned back to God repented and fasted for God's mercy.

And there are many stories like this throughout the bible.

Fasting is to strengthen our spirits and weaken our flesh and is a means to seeking God for what it is we set our heart out for as for Daniel it was for knowledge for he wanted to know things. for other it was humility before God and repentance. In the book of Acts Cornelius a Gentile believer was fasting and praying for salvation for four days and then God sent Peter to his house and he recieve salvation of sins.

cupofjoy I like your spirit when you said bring it on.

Fasting is biblical practice else Jesus wouldn't have instructed how to do it to get God's attention would He.

OC

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

fasting is in the Bible 17 times

So is murder. That does not make it a desirable practice.

1CO 7:5 consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

'Fasting' is not in the oldest manuscripts.

?what? we are told not to murder, we are told to fast but not make public of our fasting. It is supposed to be private, God took the time to have it placed in the bible for a reason, therefore I think it is important.

The point is that just because it's mentioned several times in the bible does not mean it's something you should feel you need to practice.

Personally, I believe it depends on many factors including what you believe about it in the first place. My health prevents fasting, though when I was healthy I did fast in college a few times. I was blessed somewhat, but at the same time Jesus' command basically to not let anyone know you're fasting is not easy to follow in a group situation and became more of a burden than blessing. I don't believe in spiritual burdens, so I stopped.

However, There is a book called "Hunger for God" which I found to be a profound blessing when it comes to understanding the whole concept of fasting. I wish I'd read it before I went to college so I'd had a better idea of what I was doing.

I don't think the biblical concept of fasting should burden anyone. For one should not be made to feel guilty if they do not practice it. For it is something of choice for one to do in spiritual battles. I do think alot of Christians are made to feel guilty if they do not fast and that is not right in my book.

There are many who do have health issues to consider as I am one of them myself so I understand this. And you should consider your health if you are going to fast if you have health problems.

There are tremendous blessings that can come through fasting and prayer but fasting is by choice in seeking God. We are given the concept of fasting in the word and the concept of prayer but it is by one's choice to practice the principles of both.

We are not instructed at all. That is not an instruction to fast, even to Jews. Even if there was such a thing, it would not necessarily apply to the church.

There are tremendous blessings that can come through fasting and prayer

Such as?

I don't think the biblical concept of fasting should burden anyone. For one should not be made to feel guilty if they do not practice it.

The evangelical tradition is to regard with suspicion those who do- certainly those who make an issue out of it.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I beleive we are each individually to search out God's word to know what God has for us each individually we all walk in different levels some make be more intellect in knowledge, some may have more wisdom, some may be more compassionate, some may be simplistic as a child, we all have our strengths and weaknesses some may be more willing to grow, some may stagnic, no one can bring us our salvation we each individual have to seek out our own salvation with fear and trembling. But at the same time we can come together and discuus what we have learned and share what we are each convicted on, and ask questions on what we are not sure of. Then we should take this and go study God's word and pray for God to reveal to us each what he wants us to know at that moment, he may reveal more later or show us all that moment. God is good and knows us each and where we are. I personally am glad that I found this board, s has been very insightful.

We are not instructed at all. That is not an instruction to fast, even to Jews. Even if there was such a thing, it would not necessarily apply to the church.

Reread pointer I said this is "HOW" we are to fast if we choose to do so. Jesus himself fasted and prayed and we are told to follow His example.

If you personally do not believe in fasting as in the word. Then don't practice it but don't tell others it is not biblical when it is all throughout the word. I think of the terrible things Jesus had to endure on the cross and the agony he went through in the garden and how that he practiced both prayer and fasting in order to keep Him strong and I learn from that as Jesus overcome the temptations of Satan to not submit His will over to the will of the Father to go to the cross.

And Jesus is our example to follow after.

oc