• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

We are to model our lives on Christ, Christ did fast. Fasting is mentioned in scripture in the New Testament; I think it can be done, as long as it does not become some sort of pride thing, or something which leads to ill health I think it can be good.

I don't see it however as a command. Christ and Paul for example were also celibate and unmarried, yet this is not a command from scripture.

One of the great things about our scripture is that it is not a list of do's and don'ts although both do's and don'ts are certainly there. We also get advice, help, history and guidance along with the commandments of God. I think fasting is in that realm of helps. My problem with it is that I know I would do it in a way that would benefit me, as a sort of physical challenge. I like to run and do a couple of marathons each year, now this is very hard but it is something I enjoy, it is for me, not for God. Thus the danger for me if I tried fasting is that I would look at it as some sort of physical challenge and probably get into it, see how long I could do it, etc, it would become about me, not about God. This is why I don

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

The Bible, in the NT, in one of the letters to the churches, whilst speaking of relations between huband and wife, says they're to only abstain from sexual relations during agreed upon times of prayer and fasting. Fasting from what, food, sex? I don't know, but it doesn't say if it says when.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Our church every year does a fast at the first week of September. We choose individually how we will do this, whether it is a full or partial fast. For instance, I fasted meat and sweets and the internet, (which is why you didn't see me!). Some people fast things totally other than food.

During this time we use the availability provided by lack of meal preparation or ease of it, to pray, as well as listen to what God is saying to our hearts. We have certain things we pray about: personal things, and also shared requests suggested to us by leadership. We meet throughout the week also. The youth meet one night for an hour of prayer, the women another night, the men another and on Saturday morning we all meet together for an hour. this is on top of our already scheduled times of corporate prayer and individual daily "God-time". It is during these times of fasting and prayer that God is blessed by us, and we are blessed by Him, and things start to move! It is a unifying thing and it is a period of refreshing as well.

It certainly is a challenge, but the blessings and the intimacy with the Father that is generated is so worthwhile to our walk. I highly recommend it!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

you don't believe in the practice

I do believe in getting facts right.

Then why do you keep denying them and stop discouraging those that do?

oc

OC, it's pointless.

There is a difference between engaging in honest yet heated debate and deliberately whacking a hornets nest.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  636
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Pointer this is a sincere question, can you quote to me the scripture 1Co 7:5 from the Bible that you are reading from, i am truly trying to understand you're point of view. On why you feel the way you do. and why that you say that I re-posted what may be a satan quote? :thumbsup: i am not sure why you are not respondng to me???

There is a material discrepancy in source texts. That means that one source text is not the Word of God. It may therefore be of Satanic origin. While this verse is unquestionably a command, neither version can be said with certainty to be Scripture. As it is the only command to fast in what might be Scripture, it is unjustified to conclude that God commands fasting, and this source may even be Satanic teaching.

Here is the verse yet again, this time from the RSV. It does not matter which modern version one chooses, none of them contain 'fasting' except the NKJV.

'Do not refuse one another except perhaps by agreement for a season, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again.' 1 Cor 7:5 RSV

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

this is what i have

KJV: 1Co 7:5 Defraud ye not one the other, except [it be] with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

LITV: 1Co 7:5 Do not deprive one another, unless by agreement for a time, that you may be free for fasting and prayer. And come together again on the same place, that Satan may not tempt you through your incontinence

MKJV: 1Co 7:5 Do not deprive one another, unless it is with consent for a time, so that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer. And come together again so that Satan does not tempt you for your incontinence.

MSG: 1Co 7:5 Abstaining from sex is permissible for a period of time if you both agree to it, and if it's for the purposes of prayer and fasting--but only for such times. Then come back together again. Satan has an ingenious way of tempting us when we least expect it.

ISV: 1Co 7:5 Do not withhold yourselves from each other unless you agree to do so for a set time in order to devote yourselves to prayer. Then you should come together again so that Satan does not tempt you through your lack of self-control.

ASV: 1Co 7:5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be by consent for a season, that ye may give yourselves unto prayer, and may be together again, that Satan tempt you not because of your incontinency.

I beleive this is one of those things that I really need to go into prayer about and be lead by the Holy Spirit on. Do you have a version of the NASB? I understand that one is really closest to the correct translation.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I still believe that fasting is important because Jesus often went into prayer and fasting, and we are to be christlike in our actions. I need to pray on the correct Bible to read and apply to my life

I beleive this is one of those things that I really need to go into prayer about and be lead by the Holy Spirit on. Do you have a version of the NASB? I understand that one is really closest to the correct translation.

No problem. 'Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again.' 1 Cor 7:5 NASB

I still believe that fasting is important because Jesus often went into prayer and fasting, and we are to be christlike in our actions. I need to pray on the correct Bible to read and apply to my life

Might I suggest that you read my first post (#4) on this? Also:

'"How is it that we and the Pharisees fast , but your disciples do not fast ?" Jesus answered, "How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them?"' Matt 9:14-15 NIV

Might I suggest that you read my first post (#4) on this? It may have been missed. Here is most of it, so people have another opportunity to answer it directly if they wish to.

It was common for Jews to fast at times of conviction of sin, or when praying for a particular outcome. There is, however, no divine command to fast in the OT. Neither is there any command to do so in the NT, though there are Jesus' warnings about associated hypocrisy. Some early Jewish Christians practised it, perhaps out of habit, but it was not generally adopted by Christians. Fasting was an understandable response before the crucifixion, but it is, imv, much less so now.

The bottom line with fasting is, if it helps, do it. Many find it rather irrelevant, as they find that close fellowship with the Lord makes such things odd and unnecessary. They find that He does not need to be persuaded to give an abundance of good things, and if we do not get them, it is some problem of our own that prevents Him from giving- and fasting will not necessarily help, though prayer and reading/listening to the Word will. When fellowship with Him is broken due to sin, it is restored instantly by repentance when convicted, and one can go on one's way, rejoicing. The Christian should, after all, rejoice always.