• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  812
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/15/1961

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that ANYTHING that controls us is not of God. If I can puff a cigarette once a week---take it or leave it---I don't think that's a sin. If I MUST have 6 cups of coffee a day---that is sin.

It's not so much the object, as the obsession.

As for the Scriptural support? " I am the Lord thy God, you shall have no other Gods before me" or "You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only shall you serve"

Amen Fiosh.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

When one is aware that smoking kills and harms others---and still does it---it is not hypocritical to speak out against it. It is an activity that affects other people besides oneself.
I am glad I have to answer to my merciful Father instead of you. :emot-highfive:

I rarely use these things but... :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that ANYTHING that controls us is not of God. If I can puff a cigarette once a week---take it or leave it---I don't think that's a sin. If I MUST have 6 cups of coffee a day---that is sin.

It's not so much the object, as the obsession.

As for the Scriptural support? " I am the Lord thy God, you shall have no other Gods before me" or "You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only shall you serve"

Amen Fiosh.

Right on! :emot-highfive:

Guest shiloh357

When one is aware that smoking kills and harms others---and still does it---it is not hypocritical to speak out against it. It is an activity that affects other people besides oneself.

it is hypocritical when you are eating processed foods and consuming things that are just as deadly as smoking but only use the Bible to condemn smoking.

Who's hypocritical? I agree with you about that! :emot-highfive:

My point is that if you are eating ANYTHING that is unhealthy, you don't have a leg on to stand on to point the finger at smokers

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

it is hypocritical when you are eating processed foods and consuming things that are just as deadly as smoking but only use the Bible to condemn smoking.

Who's hypocritical? I agree with you about that! :emot-highfive:

My point is that if you are eating ANYTHING that is unhealthy, you don't have a leg on to stand on to point the finger at smokers

I sure will point when they pollute my space!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  08/08/1964

In my opinion smoking is not a sin...

smoking 14 packs a day might be a sin just like gluttony or drinking alcohol in excessive amounts.

Are you absolutely sure that the Holy Spirit who resides in you (if you know the Lord) would be happy to have you ingest poison-laden smoke into your lungs? Think about it some more.

It is not what goes into the body, but what comes out.

The Holy Spirit resides in the heart...not the lungs.

I know that the Word tells me in 1 Corinthians 6:19:

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;"

What does that say to you?

Read the whole chapter...

It tell's me in 1 Corinthians 6: that the main vein of the conversation is about sexual sin. In verse 18 it say's

Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.

If you want to go along that same line of thinking then it would be a sin to eat greasy food, drink soda pop and eat sweets because in my opinion those things are just as unhealthy as smoking.

I agree with that.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  812
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  06/15/1961

shiloh357 said

It is hypocritical to judge smokers, when we abuse our bodies in other ways that are just as deadly.

it would be hypocritical to judge anyone for anything if the person judging did those things as you mentioned and did them without regard to moderation. Sorry shiloh, but I am a recovered addict who knows...I have been there and done that..and I have even justified those things by the very words you just used. Some things in this world cannot be helped. We eat what is put in the grocery stores because that is what is available to us not everybody has a farm and not everybody can afford to eat the more expensive organic foods. We don't have to go to McDonald's..but an occasional cheese burger doesn't necessarily mean I am going to end up with heart disease nor does it mean I am signing my death warrant..certain things we do to our bodies does sign our death warrants and there is no question about it, if we do it we WILL die from it.

If you wish to justify what you do to your body by smoking cigarettes or have other habits that are proven to cause certain death...that is your business. But please make sure that if you call a person a hypocrite that you are not doing it to help in the justification to your own personal life choices.

#1. nobody should be judging in the first place.

I am a recovering addict as well but that doesn't give me license to judge wheather somebody is in sin or not because they happen to smoke. Like I said earlier...I don't believe smoking is a sin but if you were smoking 14 packs a day and couldn't go without, it is a sin...just like gluttony or any other thing done in excess.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

man said:

Edited by jackie d

George Burns smoked cigars his whole life and he lived to 100.

I know many people in their 70s, 80s, 90s, that smoke. There are people who are over 100 years of age and smoke up to and more then a pack a day.

While that is true, some people seem to be pre-disposed to the effects of smoking. My father smoked all his life---until he died at the age of 66 from respiratory failure due to emphysema and COPD.

Would he have developed those illnesses without smoking? I don't know. Medical science seems to indicate that he would have had a better chance at a healthy life and healthier lungs without cigarettes.

My dad passed away at 72. ( I sometimes catch myself wanting to pick up the phone and call him ) He smoked all his life, but it wasn't cigarettes that killed him.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

man said:
Suicide is not a sin...I know you want it to be but it's not. There's a thread in the outer court addressing this issue...
it is good to see that human beings have finally come to a conclusion on this very touchy controversial issue..........God must be pleased to finally know that human beings have made his final ruling on this one. And yes I AM being sarcastic!

Go ahead be sarcastic how, very becoming of you.