Fiosh

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

That would be a major difference between you and me. I know that my doctrines are correct and will not change. That is not arrogance. It is my faith in Jesus' promise that the Holy Spirit will lead His Church to all truth.

If you know your doctrines are correct and will not change, then you are not likely to ever second guess yourself or look at the doctrines objectively, as I had asked a few posts back.

I would add that the difference is between you and me is that I know the Bible and my God will not change. Man-made doctrines will change. Eating meat on Fridays is a good example.

I understand the current Pope is also wondering about going back to completely Latin masses and no more folk music or modern music, only the old-time hymns.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

For the rest of us Christians it's our faith in Christ that matters and our denominations mean very very little.

That's not an insult?

You bolded only the first half of the statement. The second half says our denominations mean very very little.

How many Catholics do you know on a deeply spiritual level, in order to make that statement?

Seriously...how many?

Well, if you were to be included I would have to stick with what I'd said earlier. Obviously your church mean a great deal to you.

I've met literally thousands that are committed to their relationship with Jesus Christ.

I'm not saying you or any other Catholic is not committed to Jesus Christ. I'm saying that faith goes hand in hand with the Catholic Church. If a Catholic becomes disgruntled with the Catholic church, they totally leave God and don't attend anywhere. They see God and the RC church as one.

Anyway, you did start this whole thread and you did ask for questions.

For me, there are just too many rules and doctrines extraneous to the Bible and that would be my biggest problem. God left his word for us for a good reason and I don't think there's any need to make up things that arent' in there.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Artsylady:

RE: "I'm not saying you or any other Catholic is not committed to Jesus Christ. I'm saying that faith goes hand in hand with the Catholic Church. If a Catholic becomes disgruntled with the Catholic church, they totally leave God and don't attend anywhere. They see God and the RC church as one. "

Again you are making sweeping generalizations based on your limited experience. Show me statistics. You are way off base.

This is your opinion, and you are entitled to it, even though you are wrong. But don't state it as fact.

Thanks,

Fiosh

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

For the rest of us Christians it's our faith in Christ that matters and our denominations mean very very little.

That's not an insult?

You bolded only the first half of the statement. The second half says our denominations mean very very little.

How many Catholics do you know on a deeply spiritual level, in order to make that statement?

Seriously...how many?

Well, if you were to be included I would have to stick with what I'd said earlier. Obviously your church mean a great deal to you.

I've met literally thousands that are committed to their relationship with Jesus Christ.

I'm not saying you or any other Catholic is not committed to Jesus Christ. I'm saying that faith goes hand in hand with the Catholic Church. If a Catholic becomes disgruntled with the Catholic church, they totally leave God and don't attend anywhere. They see God and the RC church as one.

Anyway, you did start this whole thread and you did ask for questions.

For me, there are just too many rules and doctrines extraneous to the Bible and that would be my biggest problem. God left his word for us for a good reason and I don't think there's any need to make up things that arent' in there.

There would be quite a few ex-Catholics on this very site that would be very surprised to find out when they left the RCC church they left Jesus. I'm not Catholic but, thats a pretty broad and kinda insulting statement don't you think. I find plenty of people who would argue that they only love Jesus not their specific "group" find when someone starts talking about their "demon" they suddenly become very defensive and even angry. Thats not Catholic or denominational, so whats the excuse for that? Are they more in love with their institution than they are Jesus?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

The number of people coming or going from a particular church is not a measurement of its faithfulness to God. Jesus' had people coming and going all the time. It is a ministry's faithfulness to God and the degree to which they are connected to Him that measures its faitfulness.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  03/24/1981

Hi fiosh,

Let me go through these one by one:

Baptism in voto is baptism of desire, which refers to one who had intended to be baptized, but died before receiving the sacrament.

I believed that the doctrine of there being no salvation outside of the church was tempered by the baptism

in voto
, in that sincere non Catholics who through no fault of their own did not know of the church or that it was the true Church of Christ, could through responding to the calling of the Holy Spirit be baptised by desire. The catechism, for example, says:

"Those, who through no fault of their own do not know the Gospel of Christ or His Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and moved by grace, try in their actions to do His will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  961
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

That would be a major difference between you and me. I know that my doctrines are correct and will not change. That is not arrogance. It is my faith in Jesus' promise that the Holy Spirit will lead His Church to all truth.

If you know your doctrines are correct and will not change, then you are not likely to ever second guess yourself or look at the doctrines objectively, as I had asked a few posts back.

I would add that the difference is between you and me is that I know the Bible and my God will not change. Man-made doctrines will change. Eating meat on Fridays is a good example.

I understand the current Pope is also wondering about going back to completely Latin masses and no more folk music or modern music, only the old-time hymns.

Artslady, Catholics believe that the Catholic Church was established by Jesus Christ. We are not going to second guess Jesus Christ. Eating meat on Friday is not a foundational dcotrine of faith, but rather a tradition. These can and have changed. Another example of this would be alter girls. There weren't alter girls until rather recently, not sure on the date. I can tell you that such doctrines of the Eucharist, Priesthood (men only), reconciliation, Purgaory, other Sacraments, these will never change, and haven't for 2,000 years.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Artslady, Catholics believe that the Catholic Church was established by Jesus Christ. We are not going to second guess Jesus Christ. Eating meat on Friday is not a foundational dcotrine of faith, but rather a tradition. These can and have changed. Another example of this would be alter girls. There weren't alter girls until rather recently, not sure on the date. I can tell you that such doctrines of the Eucharist, Priesthood (men only), reconciliation, Purgaory, other Sacraments, these will never change, and haven't for 2,000 years.

Purgatory happened sometime within 2000 yrs as it is not biblical in the least. It is a convenient little doctrine dreamed up my man/pope.

Hebrews 9:27

And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,

Says nothing about a waiting room, or a holding cell.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  961
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Purgatory happened sometime within 2000 yrs as it is not biblical in the least. It is a convenient little doctrine dreamed up my man/pope.

Hebrews 9:27

And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,

Says nothing about a waiting room, or a holding cell.

FA,

I resepctfully disagree, but will leave it at that. It is however a doctrine within Catholicism, and will never change. :emot-wave:

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

It is however a doctrine within Catholicism, and will never change.

That says it all. :wub: