tah

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

I noted this in my Scripture reading a couple of weeks ago...

I was wondering what you all might think about it..

I find it a pretty interesting Scripture...

Just curious ....

Job 35:6 If thou sinnest, what doest thou against him? or if thy transgressions be multiplied, what doest thou unto him?

Job 35:7 If thou be righteous, what givest thou him? or what receiveth he of thine hand?

Job 35:8 Thy wickedness may hurt a man as thou art; and thy righteousness may profit the son of man.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I'm super tired right now, so my answer won't be as in depth as I would otherwise . . . I apologize.

But the sequence of events is that Job's 3 friends were insisting that Job's hardships were the consequence of sin and were "encouraging" him to repent. Job responded at first that he didn't do anything deserving of punishment. But as their insistance increased, so did his - to the point that he began charging God with being unjust against him.

As I understand this section here, Elihu is responding to Job's accusations against God.

But as far as these three verses, I think his point that our sins and our righteous acts hurt or benifit our fellow man more so than God Himself.

JMHO

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1964

Job 38:1Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,

2Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?

Job 42:7And it was so, that after the LORD had spoken these words unto Job, the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, My wrath is kindled against thee, and against thy two friends: for ye have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job hath.

8Therefore take unto you now seven bullocks and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you: for him will I accept: lest I deal with you after your folly, in that ye have not spoken of me the thing which is right, like my servant Job.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  636
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

I noted this in my Scripture reading a couple of weeks ago...

I was wondering what you all might think about it..

I find it a pretty interesting Scripture...

Just curious ....

Job 35:6 If thou sinnest, what doest thou against him? or if thy transgressions be multiplied, what doest thou unto him?

Job 35:7 If thou be righteous, what givest thou him? or what receiveth he of thine hand?

Job 35:8 Thy wickedness may hurt a man as thou art; and thy righteousness may profit the son of man.

There's a very important point here, imv, that we sin against God only in that we sin against ourselves and, particularly, other people.

'Then Elihu said: "Do you think this is just? You say, 'I will be cleared by God.' Yet you ask him, 'What profit is it to me, and what do I gain by not sinning?"'

"I would like to reply to you and to your friends with you. Look up at the heavens and see; gaze at the clouds so high above you. If you sin, how does that affect him? If your sins are many, what does that do to him? If you are righteous, what do you give to him, or what does he receive from your hand? Your wickedness affects only a man like yourself, and your righteousness only the sons of men."' Job 35:1-8 NIV

This reminds me of:

'"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."' Acts 17:24-25 NIV

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

I'm super tired right now, so my answer won't be as in depth as I would otherwise . . . I appologize.

But the sequence of events is that Job's 3 friends wee insisting that Job's hardships were the consequence of sin and were "encouraging" him to repent. Job responded at first that he didn't do anything deserving of punishment. But as their insistance increased, so did his - to the point that he began charging God with being unjust against him.

As I understand this section here, Elihu is responding to Job's accusations against God.

But as far as these three verses, I think his point that our sins and our righteous acts hurt or benifit our fellow man more so than God Himself.

JMHO

That was what I was curious about....

that thought itself... ;)

A few years ago the Lord spoke to me that my actions, sitting in the corner and pouting because life was not going the way I wanted it to, had no effect on His plans...

I was to either get out of the corner and participate in His purpose or just sit there and watch it..

That is what this scripture reminds me of...

my actions, whether good or bad, were not causing any variance in what God was doing or going to do...

But, it did affect my relationship with people...a lot... :wub:

Well, my brain hurts now...I am going to back off of the question and think about something else for a while... :whistling:

Pointer..I sure liked what you posted and you got the question and perhaps a lot of the answer but I still am not quite grasping what is , I feel, there to see..

Thanks for your thoughts folks... :24:

Scripture is always amazing... :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  489
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  02/12/1964

Can I add to this a little....???

It is written that three of Jobs friends came to visit him. They are even named. Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite. Elihu who was not one of the three suddenly appears from nowhere and is with them...Where did he come from..?

I know a description of who he IS can be seen as he is "Elihu the son of Barakel the Buzite of the family of Ram." I want to ask you a question about Elihu concerning something he said...I have heard people on this thread condemn Elihu for his words, yet puzzling to ME is the very fact that God has NOT condemned the Words of Elihu. Listen to some of what Elihu says here..

Elihu continued," Bear with me a little longer and I will show you that there is more to be said in Gods behalf. I Get my knowledge from AFAR; I will ascribe Justice to my maker. Be assured [Please listen carefully] THAT MY WORDS ARE NOT FALSE; ONE PERFECT IN KNOWLEDGE IS WITH YOU."

Let us now skip forward to the time when God has completed his discourse with Job. Job has repented, though he said nothing sinful and even claimed through all of his ordeal to now have a greater revelation of who God IS..."My ears had HEARD of you but now my eyes have SEEN you."

God then chastises by NAME Eliphaz, and his TWO friends...Again, no mention of Elihu....It is even mentioned that by NAME after this chastisement from God Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar did exactly what the Lord required of them...It was only Jobs prayer that saved them..."Take seven bulls and seven rams and go to my servant Job and sacrifice a burnt offering for yourselves..My servant Job will pray for you and I will ACCEPT HIS PRAYER and not deal with you according to your folly. You have not spoken of me what is RIGHT as my servant Job HAS...

Curious again...No mention of this Elihu who made the very bold statement "my words are not false, one perfect in knowledge is with me." Why if Elihus Words were condemning of Job, did God not select him also to bring an offering as what he has spoken is not right....Surely this leaves us with the truth that what Elihu said IS Truth and IS perfect in Knowledge....From my own experience I see these words of Elihu as some of the greatest wisdom throughout all of scripture...

Could this have been the Lord talking..? (Prophetically of course) Also, to those on this thread should you not be very careful in your judgement of Elihu if even God himself has not chosen to chastise him for his words........

It makes me all the more aware of just how easily we can be people just like Jobs friends if we are not careful...

Something to think about...

Regards,

Ben.