• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/25/1988

This question came across my mind last night after reading The Bible. In Genesis 19:7-33, Lot's daughters made Lot drink wine and become drunk. Both daughters ended up pregnant. Nowhere did i read of God punishing Lot's daughters. So would Incest be considered sin?

incest is a sin. the first command against incest was issued in leviticus. it states clearly that a parent and child shall not lie together. incestuous relationships are spelled out as 'near kin'. a person's near kin is specifically a parent or child, a grandparent or grandchild, or a sibling. when telling of specific people and incidents in history, doesn't usually give us the entire picture of what occurred. it's quite likely that lot's daughters were punished by God. the information as to how He punished them is not available to us.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  02/02/1961

Um, yeah.....it's a sin against God, the person, and yourself.

Anita

Guest gr8kmission

The silence on God's judgement of the matter does not mean the action was without consequences. Lot's daughters acted on fear not faith and we are told whatever is not done in faith is sin. Their children were the detestable progenitors of the Ammonites and the Moabites. There were generational curses on their offspring in keeping with the prohibition in the book of Deuteronomy. Incest is not acceptable before God.

This question came across my mind last night after reading The Bible. In Genesis 19:7-33, Lot's daughters made Lot drink wine and become drunk. Both daughters ended up pregnant. Nowhere did i read of God punishing Lot's daughters. So would Incest be considered sin?

i'm still kinda surprised you would question whether or not it is a sin. i'm wondering, by any chance was there some reason to question this? do you know someone who you suspect might be involved with a parent, child, sibling, aunt or nephew? and if that is the case, do you need some direction in how to witness to this person?

butero, this is two threads in which you mention the chronology.... i know the bible is not laid out chronologically, and i've never been good at following the list of who begat who. could you please lay it out for me? (no, i'm not being facicious, i'm sincerely wanting to get my timeline straight.)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

At the time of Lot, the prohibition against incest had not been given. That came later on in the law of Moses. Lot's daughters were afraid that since they were in hiding, there would be no sons to carry on after the death of their Father, especially since his wife had become a pillar of salt, so they got him drunk and became pregnant by him. As far as how God viewed their actions, the Bible is silent on this matter. Incest is most definately a sin today.

Right, what he said.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Yes it is a sin. Being a pedophile is also a sin, I have scripture for that as well if you

butero, i get that it was necessary for a period of time, i totally agree that there was a specific point in time (levitican law) when the command against incest was first instituted. i guess what i'm asking is if you could kinda lay out a historical timeline of what major biblical events took place prior to levitican law... because i think most of us (certainly me) kinda look at the order of the Biblical books as being chronological, even though we (orr at least i) know that they aren't.

actually, that would kinda hijack this thread. i have to get off the computer in a few minutes, but maybe if it's not too much trouble, could you start a new topic about historical chronology? it would be a tremendous help to me.

Guest willing servant

didnt christ also say if you cause children to sin it would be better to have a millstone around your neck... or somethink like that?