• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

Look, people have this conversation/argument every year.

Yes, the tradition of celebrating Halloween derives most directly from Samhain, a pre-Christian festival (one of four key festivals - the others are Imbolc, Beltane and Lughnasa). Yes, there were specific rituals tied to its observation, but it comes just as much originally from recognition of seasonal changes.

The bottom line: except for practicing neo-pagans or Wiccans, very few people nowadays have any idea of the origins of the festival. Therefore, in the way it is celebrated and what it has become, it's a fun and secular holiday (which makes a lot of money for the candy companies), mostly an event for the kids.

I personally don't have a problem with any aspect of Halloween. (And it's not Satanic anyway.) If you feel like you don't want your kids to participate, that's certainly your right as a parent - just be prepared to explain why everyone else gets a pillowcase with seven pounds of chocolate!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

Hmm, interesting thread. I can see everyones point of view, and I think everyone has some valid reasons for why they feel the way they do. I guess for me, I would just have to see if the acts that I am undergoing are honoring God. IF you truly, in your heart of hearts, believe that what you're doing is right in the name of Jesus, then by all means, you should do what you have chosen. And I think this answer is going to be different for everyone. I think it depends on our relationship with Christ and our relationship with those around us.

Yes, I suppose this is a politically correct answer. But I just think that if we all thought more about honoring God each and every day, then perhaps one day which seems to stick out, just wouldn't. We can't know for sure what God thinks of all of this since he has not left us scripture of which to follow...so we just have to interpret the scripture we do have, along with prayers...to find what is right for us. God Bless you all and I pray that we might love God (and eachother) each and every day...no matter what the calander says.

sierra

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

I think that is a good point.

Just do your best and don't worry so much.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Hmm, interesting thread. I can see everyones point of view, and I think everyone has some valid reasons for why they feel the way they do. I guess for me, I would just have to see if the acts that I am undergoing are honoring God. IF you truly, in your heart of hearts, believe that what you're doing is right in the name of Jesus, then by all means, you should do what you have chosen. And I think this answer is going to be different for everyone. I think it depends on our relationship with Christ and our relationship with those around us.

Yes, I suppose this is a politically correct answer. But I just think that if we all thought more about honoring God each and every day, then perhaps one day which seems to stick out, just wouldn't. We can't know for sure what God thinks of all of this since he has not left us scripture of which to follow...so we just have to interpret the scripture we do have, along with prayers...to find what is right for us. God Bless you all and I pray that we might love God (and eachother) each and every day...no matter what the calander says.

sierra

What? God has NOT left us scripture to follow?

Romans 12:2

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

If all the halloween bashers disapproved of tv as much as they did halloween, the world would be a far better place.

Choose your poison. :P

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

sierra

What? God has NOT left us scripture to follow?

Romans 12:2

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is

A couple of months back, there was a thread on the satanic bible.

I said it was something that should be left alone.

Others argued in favor of reading and studying that book.

I guess my point is....if it's ok to study satan's bible...why is it not ok to dress up and ask for candy?

That thread by the way, can be found in Controversial Issues.

A couple of months back, there was a thread on the satanic bible.

I said it was something that should be left alone.

Others argued in favor of reading and studying that book.

I guess my point is....if it's ok to study satan's bible...why is it not ok to dress up and ask for candy?

That thread by the way, can be found in Controversial Issues.

I started that thread. The question was not is it Ok to read the Satanic bible just to dabble with it. The question was would reading the Satanic bible be beneficial to the mature christian who was dealing with people in the occult. The topic was not about just casually reading the book. It was about reading it to obtain information useful in converting people who are dabbling in the occult.

If you say so.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  09/25/1988

So why did you ask if you already had your mind made up?

I never thought Halloween was Satan's birthday. I just wanted to see what other people have to say on that issue.

Edited by Warrior of Christ

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

My family (and a couple of friends) and I are going to call one of the local hospitals and see if we can come visit the children who are hospitalized and bring them candy that night. Not sure if it's allowed yet, but we're going to check and see. Just thought it would be a unique way to be a blessing to kids who aren't able to do anything fun while all their friends are trick-or-treating or whatever.