• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  438
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/07/1969

On the one hand, you're stealing, on the other, the Gospel is being spread.  Personally, I see nothing wrong with taping a cd for personal use.  I am against breaking copyright laws however.  Usually Christian magazines, music, etc.. will allow you to make x number of copies per original.  

We must be careful how we live, but as you say, don't get caught up in legalism.  

I could be wrong in my beliefs, and I pray that if so, I will be shown so I can change.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

When in doubt always ask permission.  Most scholarly work can be used so long as the publication and author are cited in your work.  And copyright laws allow for copying for personal use.  For example, if you buy a songbook and copy a few pages to take along in your car or on a trip or something. Other works which you do not own such as audio or video need to have written permission by the author.  This applies even if you borrow an audio cassette from the library and copy it for yourself.

This has nothing to do with what we call "legalism" however.  It just has to do with what's right.  As believers we should always be the first to set the example by following the laws which have been set for us.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Once its on tv, its not infringement of copyright laws to tape. Unless you plan to sell, the material taped. Showing movies in mass, like to over 20 people at one time does break the copyright laws, though and we do it all the time. My own conscience says that copyright law is overstepping the bounderies of our personal freedom, for the purpose of monetary gain, by the filmmakers. I remember Disney trying to stop daycare centers from showing their videos to the kids. It didn't work as I remember, because that is just plain stupid. That center is not earning money showing that movie.

Common sense has to rule.

Guest KiwiBird
My own conscience says that copyright law is overstepping the bounderies of our personal freedom, for the purpose of monetary gain, by the filmmakers.

Guest Fabrice

Hello

I perso download a lot right now because here in Belgium we can't buy that music I dl and because I want to try it first in order to know if I like it or not.

I have never photocopied books and never was given or lended a photocopied book.

I think that for God it's ok as long as we buy some CD's, everyone hasn't got the possibility to buy. Okay we pay the internet but it's true we can make a big profit if we d/l all day long.

Still, God sees our heart; can we afford this or that ? if yes buy ! if yes but don't want to pay ... not good.

Hi Kiwi,

It is not a violation of copyright law to tape shows off of the television, so long as they are for personal use. However, if you were to tape something off the T.V. for the purpose of profit, then that is a violation of the law.  You cannot tape or record anything off of the television or radio for the purpose of profit or distribution.

Actually, with exception to the MP3 issue, there are really no grey areas here.  You are free to tape or record any audio or video you wish from the radio or T.V. so long as it is for personal use.  You are also free to make copies of any audio or video that you have already purchased so lonbg as it is not for personal use only.

So what do you do as a Christian, and a friend of yours asks you to copy a music CD for him or her?  Simple.  You tell them that it would be best for them to go and buy the CD for themselves.  This is not about legalism, but about being a proper person and doing what is right.  

The Lord Jesus never broke any of the Roman laws - the laws of the land.  Think about that for amoment.  The Lord never broke one single Roman law.  And He further never encouraged His followers to break any of the Roman laws.  Therefore, when He was brought before Pilate he could find no wrong in Him.  Pilate killed an innocent man for political reasons, not because the Lord had broken any laws.

Lanakila,

Not trying to start an argument, but there are some points you made which should be corrected.  First, showing a videotape of a television show to 20 people or more is not an infringement of copyright law if it is for educational purposes.  For example, if you tape a news interview or a PBS documentary.  However, you cannot tape cable shows.  Probably because you pay for cable services.

I remember the Disney affair also.  But as I recall, that was related to copies of Disney movies being shown at daycare centers, not originals.  Under the law, copies cannot be produced for distribution.  And copies made for educational purposes are restricted to non-profit use for a period of 45 days.

Maybe it would help this discussion overall if we took a look at title 17 of the U.S. Code.  I don't know so much myself.  I had to check the code to see if my suspicions were correct before I wrote any responses.  There is a lot to title 17.  BUt the sections I think we are dealing with are related to fair use, which is only 2 or 3 sections.  This title can be found online at http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/index.html

By the way, everyone, please do not get me wrong.  I'm not trying to be a legalist here.  I happen to work in a law office and some of these issues have come up - especially the MP3 issue.

For me it is not a matter of whether the law is righteous or not.  Many human laws are very unrighteous.  But I do not believe that the Bible ever gives us the freedom to break the law - even if it is an unrighteous one.

Think about this for a moment. There will be a day when unrighteous men will seek to accuse God's people - just as the Pharisees accused the Lord Jesus.  Now, in that day, would you be a person who would shut the mouth of the accusers, or will you give them cause to accuse you?  When they point their finger and say to you, "You are not a Christian, because a Christian would not behave thus."  Will you be the one to say, "You have wrongly accused me, I stand blameless before God and man"? Or will you be the one with nothing to say at all because you know in your heart that they are right?  Listen, Satan is already accusing us on so many other fronts right now.  Why give him more and more ammunition?