• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1971

Wow, I'm really glad I read this thread. I didn't know who Joel Osteen was till about a few months ago when I seen him on TV. I was awed by his message, he spoke such a message of hope and encouragement. So I eagerly awaited to watch his next program again.

When I did, he held up his Bible at the beginning and said something like "this is my Bible, I am what it says I am" and on and on. But then the entire program was encouraging words, very interesting I might add, but I didn't hear anything from the Bible. I mean he didnt even read any scripture, like at all.

I watched him a few more times to see if anything would change, and it was always the same thing. Encouraging words and nothing more. No scriptures read or anything. Just his words.

I dunno. I'm not judging the man, but I definitely started to wonder about him and his message, and I doubt I'll watch him again.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Is he a heretic, a false teacher, a fasle prophet, does he tell lies, or has he caused anyone to stumble of fall. Have any of his critics ever been on CNN or any other television shows. Until this thread, I had vever heard of the guy much because we don't CNN or TBN unless it's a rebroadcast. Have any of you guys who are criticising him been in touch with him personally and expressed your feelings about him, or do you just snipe at him be hind a keyboard> Huh?

Any of you guys ever hedged around a question asked of you because what you say might offend. Hey. Give the guy a break. If you don't like him, don't listen to him. I wish I could hear him, then I could judge for myself. I like it first hand.

Sorry if anyones toes got under my foot.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  583
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/14/1962

Is he a heretic, a false teacher, a fasle prophet, does he tell lies, or has he caused anyone to stumble of fall. Have any of his critics ever been on CNN or any other television shows. Until this thread, I had vever heard of the guy much because we don't CNN or TBN unless it's a rebroadcast. Have any of you guys who are criticising him been in touch with him personally and expressed your feelings about him, or do you just snipe at him be hind a keyboard> Huh?

Any of you guys ever hedged around a question asked of you because what you say might offend. Hey. Give the guy a break. If you don't like him, don't listen to him. I wish I could hear him, then I could judge for myself. I like it first hand.

Sorry if anyones toes got under my foot.

eric, you need to go back to tmrfiles post #6 in this thread and read that transcript of the show a little closer. This is the missing part from the interview which you should also read.

In the interview, Larry King tossed Osteen another "soft-ball," asking Osteen about the wicked and vile sins of abortion and homosexuality. Even lost people take a stand on these blatant "sins."

KING: How about issues that the church has feelings about? Abortion? Same-sex marriages?

OSTEEN: Yeah. You know what, Larry? I don't go there. I just ...

KING: You have thoughts, though.

OSTEEN: I have thoughts. I just, you know, I don't think that a same-sex marriage is the way God intended it to be. I don't think abortion is the best. I think there are other, you know, a better way to live your life. But I'm not going to condemn those people. I tell them all the time our church is open for everybody.

Again, Larry appears surprised at Osteen

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Lol. brother I could shoot holes in just about anyone who has been on tele eveangelising, but I'm not here to shoot people down, I'm here to try and build them up, unless of course they are known heretics or have an obvious ulterior motive. No mate my foot wasn't crushed. You haven't enough weight to crush my foot. There's only one who can do that and He's done it often, and to Him I bow the knee.

Hey, bro, you have a nice day in the Lord.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  362
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  07/04/1955

My opinion and we all have those. Joel is one who will not address sin at it's core. He walks all around it and only speaks on issues that make everyone think all is well and there is no work to be done as long as I go to church and read his book. He is nothing but a feel good preacher and is decieving many . This is my opinion and if it is judging pointing out sin then so be it!

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/23/1977

I heard in the Larry King Live show Joel Osteen told Larry that he wasn't sure whether anyone would be saved except through Lord Jesus Christ. All the true disciples of Jesus Christ firmly believed that there is no salvation except through the Lord Jesus Christ .All the disciples who walked with the Lord heard and taught so. Peter preached "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." Acts;4:12 John wrote;Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him." John;3:36 And Jesus Christ himself has said, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John;14;6 How can God accept anyone who rejects His Son whom he sent into the world?-Whom He sent as the Savior of the world.No one can save except the one who was sent to save.That is Jesus Christ the Son of the Living God,

"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." Acts;4:12

Here's a transcript of the interview Joel Osteen had with Larry King. I don't know if this is the show you are talking about, but he made some very wishy washy remarks concerning salvation through Jesus Christ.

http://apostasywatch.com/

Last night, (6-20-05) Joel and Victoria Osteen were interviewed on CNN by Larry King. Osteen showed clearly why he has the largest church in America. He told everyone, including King, what they wanted to hear. He refused to say that Jesus was the only way to heaven.

KING: Because we've had ministers on who said, your record don't count. You either believe in Christ or you don't. If you believe in Christ, you are, you are going to heaven. And if you don't no matter what you've done in your life, you ain't.

OSTEEN: Yeah, I don't know. There's probably a balance between. I believe you have to know Christ. But I think that if you know Christ, if you're a believer in God, you're going to have some good works. I think it's a cop-out to say I'm a Christian but I don't ever do anything ...

KING: What if you're Jewish or Muslim, you don't accept Christ at all?

OSTEEN: You know, I'm very careful about saying who would and wouldn't go to heaven. I don't know ...

KING: If you believe you have to believe in Christ? They're wrong, aren't they?

OSTEEN: Well, I don't know if I believe they're wrong. I believe here's what the Bible teaches and from the Christian faith this is what I believe. But I just think that only God with (sic) judge a person's heart. I spent a lot of time in India with my father. I don't know all about their religion. But I know they love God. And I don't know. I've seen their sincerity. So I don't know. I know for me, and what the Bible teaches, I want to have a relationship with Jesus

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

My opinion?

He's fluffy, he doesn't spill enough milk, much less meat....it's all feel good stuff. And like many tv preachers he seems to always need money

HOWEVER>>>

I'll stop short of saying he's heretical, I've never heard or seen anything heretical.

I mostly agree with the gist of the conversation that Joel Osteen could do a better job of preaching the Bible. I find that almost all preachers in America have a selective message to varying degrees...but Joel stays away from anything that might be controversial or even "hard"

Yet, I feel the need to defend Joel Osteen here because I do believe he is a brother and this thread calls that into question. I'd like to point out that speaking guile is a sin. You don't like his style? Fair enough...neither do I.

But I get really sick of christians spewing on other christians. That is what turned me into an atheist in 1975. I'm more ashamed of some of the judmentalism of this thread than I am of Joel Osteen.

You think there is a problem with Joel? Take it to Abba and leave it there. Surely there are more edifying topics we could discuss?

18But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired.

19If they were all one member, where would the body be?

20But now there are many members, but one body.

21And the eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you"; or again the head to the feet, "I have no need of you."

22On the contrary, it is much truer that the members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary;

23and those members of the body which we deem less honorable, on these we bestow more abundant honor, and our less presentable members become much more presentable,

24whereas our more presentable members have no need of it. But God has so composed the body, giving more abundant honor to that member which lacked,

25so that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another.

26And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.