• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,580
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/13/1960

Well, for me, the trinity is just another triple deity - sounds like an idea borrowed from older cultures. Mythology is full of triples: Norns, Graces, Charites, Furies, Fates, Grey Women, Gorgons; goddess triads like Demeter, Persephone and Hecate; the three Celtic Bridgits; Hathor, Isis and Sekhmet from Egypt; Parvati, Dagma and Kali from the Vedic cultures; Ereshkigal, Geshtinanna and Ishtar. Even in the Talmud/Jewish folklore, you've got Lilith and the two Eves. The idea is as old as religion. Three has always been a special number to lots of cultures, and it works well with an idea of balance: two extremes, and a middle path. Maiden, mother, crone. Boy, youth, man. So given the fact that Christianity arose in the Roman world, where the classical triads would have been extremely well known and respected, it doesn't surprise me that the idea transposed itself into father, son and spirit.

Well done P :b:

Just a reminder, this topic is about the Holy Spirit and though I realize there will be different topics that spin directly from the Original Post, this Topic is about the functions of the Holy Spirit.

Anyone is welcome to start a topic on the Trinity. I would really like to see this get back on it's original topic as to how the Spirit works in us.

As belivers in Christ we can at least agree that the Holy Spirit is a part of the holy Trinity that manifests itself in us when we come to believe in Christ.

For the non believer or Atheist, steam, water, ice can be used as an analogy but it, again is scientific and there is no scientific example to compare to the divinity of God and He Himself manifested in three important persons.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,276
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  02/21/1986

Well, for me, the trinity is just another triple deity - sounds like an idea borrowed from older cultures. Mythology is full of triples: Norns, Graces, Charites, Furies, Fates, Grey Women, Gorgons; goddess triads like Demeter, Persephone and Hecate; the three Celtic Bridgits; Hathor, Isis and Sekhmet from Egypt; Parvati, Dagma and Kali from the Vedic cultures; Ereshkigal, Geshtinanna and Ishtar. Even in the Talmud/Jewish folklore, you've got Lilith and the two Eves. The idea is as old as religion. Three has always been a special number to lots of cultures, and it works well with an idea of balance: two extremes, and a middle path. Maiden, mother, crone. Boy, youth, man. So given the fact that Christianity arose in the Roman world, where the classical triads would have been extremely well known and respected, it doesn't surprise me that the idea transposed itself into father, son and spirit.

Well done P :b:

Just a reminder, this topic is about the Holy Spirit and though I realize there will be different topics that spin directly from the Original Post, this Topic is about the functions of the Holy Spirit.

Anyone is welcome to start a topic on the Trinity. I would really like to see this get back on it's original topic as to how the Spirit works in us.

As belivers in Christ we can at least agree that the Holy Spirit is a part of the holy Trinity that manifests itself in us when we come to believe in Christ.

For the non believer or Atheist, steam, water, ice can be used as an analogy but it, again is scientific and there is no scientific example to compare to the divinity of God and He Himself manifested in three important persons.

Sorry CJ! :wub:

Well, I've got my own questions about how the HS works - but I'll post them later, whe I'm not so busy! :)

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

I've often wondered if these older cultures borrowed their concepts from something they heard about from cultures even older than they were. Perhaps from cultures based from the family tree of Noah?

Anyway, thanks CJ for the OP!

t.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,580
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Birthday:  04/13/1960

I've often wondered if these older cultures borrowed their concepts from something they heard about from cultures even older than they were. Perhaps from cultures based from the family tree of Noah?

Anyway, thanks CJ for the OP!

t.

Thanks t. but I often wonder if I should continue to post :b:

Of course you should!

I love to see where people post things in ways I either haven't ever thought of, or in ways that I haven't thought to consider in ages.... :b:

t.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  167
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

:whistling: There was no trinity(or Christianity for that matter) around Noah's time.

Edited by ethical.atheist

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,849
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  03/17/1979

There was no trinity(snip)around Noah's time.

Yes, there was. :emot-highfive: The Trinity has always existed.

:emot-puke-old: There was no trinity(or Christianity for that matter) around Noah's time.

Yes, there was.

But, Christ had not been born at the time. In that regard, so much had not been revealed as of yet, or come to fulfillment.

But, I think you get what I was saying anyway, right? :wub:

t.

• Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

I'm trying to imagine some kind folk with a personality.......like the Holy Spirit Whom the Father has chosen to reveal Himself in this particular age. All three revealed Entities of the One True God, Jehovah, possess identical attributes including those underscoring human personality. Jesus too, was quite explicit: "He that has seen Me has seen the Father." Deuteronomy 6:4 isn't bad either: "Hear, O Israel: Yhwh our Elohim (plural noune in Hebrew) is Yhwh a unity (singular in Hebrew). It's essentially "echad" in Hebrew, unity, togetherness, or complex oneness; not "yachid," indivisible oneness or singularity. So clearly if language means anything, the original Old Testament speaks volumes. The Father, Son & Holy Spirit are said to have birthed the universe....secured our redemption....had integral part in Jesus' resurrection....etc.

Further, lest we forget, practically everything in life happens to be triune: MATTER is gas, liquid, solid. It exists in three forms; a gas, a liquid, a solid, yet it's basically one in chemical composition. ENERGY is power, motion & heat - three, yet one. A BOX is height, width & depth, three dimensions, three-oneness, for the existence of one box. AN ATOM is matter, force & motion, triune and yet one atom. WATER is snow, steam and ice. Three different things, OR try throwing a ball of........steam to your friend! Ah, the Eureka Moment! And really, the analysis can be quite trenchant. Now it's off to StarBucks again for a maple macchiato with steamed milk. With a quik apology to Bill O', one can hardly get pithier than that! Sure, sure, and heavy metal is durable stuff.

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

:21: There was no trinity(or Christianity for that matter) around Noah's time.

Jesus was there! Always!