• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

Asking questions in no way shows a lack of faith...on the contrary, it is those who don't ask questions who are afraid of growth; indeed, this includes growth of any kind, not solely spiritual. Scripture commands us to love the Lord with our minds as well as our hearts, and there needs to be an integration, rather than a seperation, of faith and learning. And yes, part of the Spirit's function is to grant Believers with discernment, however His main work is to act as Comforter and Intercessor, speaking on our behalf even when we don't know the words to say...

Once you are a non believer, questions then become sarcasm or disrespect.

Sadly for some this is true, some are truthful, and respectful, but many nonbelievers drown in their own pride, they can't see through the walls. Not all non-believers are full of sarcasm and disrespect, some are very good people, who havn't had a chance to know the Lord yet, some however are disrespectful, and sarcastic.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

What I have seen so far like the thread 'Hold on...' and others, I can see why you people are sensitive to sarcasm and disrespect. It's really making me look like an angel. :wub:

The truth of the matter, Many are :wub::wub: Believers and non-believers alike, Respect should be valued reguardless of beliefs, and sarcasm only instigates.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I am just glad that we have something to report to us what our Savior did for us and the history of the family of God. Remember what John said about the account of the Gospel? I suppose if I were to write about everything that Jesus did, there wouldn't be enough books or pages in all the world to recount the stories. If that is the case with only four books of the Bible, what of the other sixty-two? There is so much that we don't know. We have a guide in the Bible to at least know something of our Spiritual history and newly-made historical relatives. I believe that we just listen to what Jesus told us to do because that pertains to our society and age most effectively. One of the most important things He desires of us is to be one as He and the Father (and Spirit) are one.

• 1 month later...

• Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,580
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Birthday:  04/13/1960

Asking questions in no way shows a lack of faith...on the contrary, it is those who don't ask questions who are afraid of growth; indeed, this includes growth of any kind, not solely spiritual. Scripture commands us to love the Lord with our minds as well as our hearts, and there needs to be an integration, rather than a seperation, of faith and learning. And yes, part of the Spirit's function is to grant Believers with discernment, however His main work is to act as Comforter and Intercessor, speaking on our behalf even when we don't know the words to say...

We may be in agreement here but it the nature of the questions that can allow for confusion. God sees to our growth when we are ready for it and in His timing. Everything is in His timing. One question should be if a situation comes up, is this of the Spirit or is it not followed by prayer and petition in His Holy name.

Questioning God can cloud faith and judgement. We learn when we listen and obey, there is where the growth is.

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  318
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  11/21/1963

Commitment to Jesus

Following Jesus is

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

This is an old thread that got re-started, but I wasn't a memeber when this debate was going on. So, I'd like to add my 2 cents worth. In both the Hebrew and Greek languages letters also stand for numbers - similar to Roman numerals. Our Bible has indeed been copied many, many times, but when the scribes copied the text, every word added up to a certain number. Every line also added up to a certain number. Each paragraph and each page added up to a certain number. If, after copying the text, the numbers didn't add up they would throw away what they had just copied and to it again. This is how the original texts have been kept true through the ages.

As the original languages were translated, some words were difficult to translate so they just left the original word. For instance in Job chapter 40 we read about the "behemoth". When the King James translator came across the description of the animal and the word, they had no idea what a "behemoth" was. Some have tried to say it is an elephant or a hippopotomus, but the description is that of a dinosaur. Well, why did they just say dinosaur? The word "dinosaur" wasn't invented until around 200 years later! So, they did the best they could. Also, some meanings of words have changed from King James's day. The word "naughty" had a much worse meaning then than it does now. So that's why a good newer translation might be more easily understood. A good concordence, such as Strong's, is so very helpful. There are online sources at www.blueletterbible.org or www.net.bible.org or www.biblegateway.com that really help to get the deeper and truer meaning from scripture.

But over all of this is the Holy Spirit. A person can read and read the Bible, but unless he has opened himself up to the Holy Spirit there will be no understanding and it will just be a bunch of words. The Holy Spirit has kept the Bible true all these years, and will continue to do so until we all get to Heaven.

<>< ><>

Nathele

Let us be honest. Where does it say that Jesus looked to man to make a commitment or a promise to Him?

Jesus, who lived and breathed as a man in the flesh, made the first commitment.

1 Peter 2:23: who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously.

I don't see how making a choice to commit my life to God is hiding my faith or in any way boasting but rejoicing in giving everything to Him.

:wub:

But over all of this is the Holy Spirit. A person can read and read the Bible, but unless he has opened himself up to the Holy Spirit there will be no understanding and it will just be a bunch of words. The Holy Spirit has kept the Bible true all these years, and will continue to do so until we all get to Heaven.

<>< ><>

Nathele

:wub: Amen!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/07/1981

We may be in agreement here but it the nature of the questions that can allow for confusion. God sees to our growth when we are ready for it and in His timing. Everything is in His timing. One question should be if a situation comes up, is this of the Spirit or is it not followed by prayer and petition in His Holy name.

Questioning God can cloud faith and judgement. We learn when we listen and obey, there is where the growth is.

I do believe we are coming at the same issue, just each from a different end!... :emot-pray:

I do believe we are coming at the same issue, just each from a different end!... :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: