• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  191
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  629
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/29/1970

I am studing the different gifts given to the children of God. In the book at I am studing from it states that prophecy does not necessarily mean to foretell the future. It doesn't really go into anything else which explains this. Can anyone please help me to understand this.

May God bless you

Jacqueline

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

Prophecy means to receive communication from a Deity. In Christianity, it's to receive communication from God hisself. Most prophecies foretell the future, but do so to validate divine intervention. Most prophets are called to speak for God, and it is human nature to be skeptical of a self-proclaimed prophet. But, if this person speaks truth, doesn't contradict hisself, can foretell future events with 100% accuracy, then this person is receiving the inspired word of God. Most prophets can also perform miracles, but do so to glorify God, not themselves. Be cautious of that.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  09/20/1947

Prophecy means to receive communication from a Deity. In Christianity, it's to receive communication from God hisself. Most prophecies foretell the future, but do so to validate divine intervention. Most prophets are called to speak for God, and it is human nature to be skeptical of a self-proclaimed prophet. But, if this person speaks truth, doesn't contradict hisself, can foretell future events with 100% accuracy, then this person is receiving the inspired word of God. Most prophets can also perform miracles, but do so to glorify God, not themselves. Be cautious of that.

Well explained JustinM. I have looked at the same subject in my studies and I find it interesting that this area of the gifts of the Holy Spirit seemed to have stopped with the OT Prophets. Although the Apostle Paul gave guidelines and, did not in any way discourage this gift, he seems wary when he says,

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  191
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  629
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  03/29/1970

Can anyone give me scripture that say's that prophecy isn't in effect today. I've heard so many state that there is no real prophet today. Is it that we're just so immune to what we deem the supernatural that we don't pay attention? Is it that we hear about so many proclaimed prophets or foretellers that when a real prophet speaks we close our ears placing them in the first two catagory? Please educate me. I'm here to learn.

God bless you

Jacqueline

I am studing the different gifts given to the children of God. In the book at I am studing from it states that prophecy does not necessarily mean to foretell the future. It doesn't really go into anything else which explains this. Can anyone please help me to understand this.

May God bless you

Jacqueline

Hello Jacqueline

A Prophet of God, the One True God, is inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Sometimes the Holy Spirit reveals future events, this is Prophecy,

but not all Prophecy reveals future events. A Prophet may utter words

that are edifying to another beleiver. Another definition of Prophet is Poet.

The following is taken from Smiths Bible dictionary.

" The different meanings or shades of meanings in which the abstract noun is employed in Scripture have been drawn out by Locke as follows: 'Prophecy comprehends three things: prediction; singing by the dictate of the Spirit; and understanding and explaining the mysterious, hidden sense of Scripture by an immediate illumination and motion of the Spirit.'

Order and office . -- "

All true Prophecy comes from our Father, and Glorifys His Name.

When Father reveals His Word to someone, and they share it with another, this is

a form of Prophecy. Beware, Scripture warns us there "will be many false prophets",

so make sure you verify everything through the written Word of God. A true Prophet

will never contradict the written Word. The first words out of Jesus' mouth when he

started His Ministry were, "It Is Written".

Keep The Faith

Yours in Jesus Christ, Peter

Can anyone give me scripture that say's that prophecy isn't in effect today. I've heard so many state that there is no real prophet today. Is it that we're just so immune to what we deem the supernatural that we don't pay attention? Is it that we hear about so many proclaimed prophets or foretellers that when a real prophet speaks we close our ears placing them in the first two catagory? Please educate me. I'm here to learn.

God bless you

Jacqueline

Hello Jacqueline

1 Corinthians, chapter 12

"1": Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

"2": Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.

"3": Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

"4": Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

"5": And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.

"6": And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

"7": But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

"8": For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

"9": To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

"10": To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

"11": But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

"12": For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

"13": For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

1 Corinthians, chapter 14

1": Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

"2": For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

"3": But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

(continue reading Corinthians)

"edification, exhortation, and comfort."

Prophecy!

(only from the Holy Spirit)

Keep The Faith

Yours in Jesus Christ, Peter

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I take prophecy to mean the ability to understand and convey God's word to others.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/17/1968

Jacqueline-

Prophecy is still alive and well today! However, as others had stated it can be missused. If it is to lift up and bring attention only to the giver than it's wrong and not from God. I'm leary of people who travel around and label themselves as prophets. It's seems they are being placed in the light and attention is only being drawn to them.

Some people are gifted in being able to see through God's eyes and can give prayerfull advise.

We have several prophets at our church, but they don't go around prophesying all the time, usually only when there is a movement of the HS and there is a message for the church. A couple of our prophets also have the gift of tongue and interpretation. It's hard to explain in writing, you really have to be there as a witness.

It's so humbling.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Yes, prophecy is mostly expounding truth from scripture. God-breathed truth that finds a home in one's heart. Prophetic! The Rhema Word! Amen!

A priest represents the people to God, a prophet represents God to people.

Every time you speak the word of God you are prophesying. Even when you witness to someone you are prophecying.