• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

First of all, why do you keep it? And why are there those who keep it strictly, but others who go to church, then do everything like it was any other day? This is something I've never understood.

For those who believe the Sabbath was changed from the 7th day to the first, why do you believe this? Are there any here who keep Sunday because that's just the way it's always been done in your family and you never really thought about it?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,447
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

First of all, why do you keep it? And why are there those who keep it strictly, but others who go to church, then do everything like it was any other day? This is something I've never understood.

For those who believe the Sabbath was changed from the 7th day to the first, why do you believe this? Are there any here who keep Sunday because that's just the way it's always been done in your family and you never really thought about it?

This is the day most of the early church chose to worship because of the Resurrection. It is a tradition and a display of unity. However no particular day is the designated day of rest and worship in the NT. The Sabbath was not officially "changed". The Sabbath, as has been explained in threads you won't address, has been fulfilled in Christ, our Sabbath rest.

sw

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

Anyone else? I really am curious.

Edited by kat8585

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Content Count:  1,447
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

Anyone else?

You sort of remind me of a JW inviting people to a "bible study" in order to ambush them with sect talking points.

sw

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,850
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

Anyone else?

You sort of remind me of a JW inviting people to a "bible study" in order to ambush them with sect talking points.

sw

:24::):emot-hug:

:rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,946
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  06/06/1979

I was brought up to go to church on Sundays. I know people who go on Sundays and some go on Saturdays saying that is the Sabbath not Sunday. Maybe traditional and then again there are churches who have services all week long.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  05/06/1986

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I quite like the idea that there was no actual day set by the Lord for the sabbath, but that we should choose a day ourselves to have as our day of rest each week. Just as long as we have it is what's important, right?... Maybe I'm just not educated enough in the Bible yet though.

Oh and I'm not saying that you can just randomly choose a day of the week - I mean it's one that you stick to as a pattern. You don't just decide to have Wednesday off one week and then the next week you decide Thursday. :24:

edit: forgot to mention that like most people my sabbath is Sunday. That's what I was raised with as the norm. :rolleyes:

Edited by stitchy

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  08/20/1961

Seeing how the church that I am attending has services on sunday that is the day that I worship with the Body of Christ, tuesday is women's bible study, thursday night is communal prayer so I choose to participate at these times....I have had times in my life when I worked on sundays which makes it hard to observe that day for rest... BUT, the important thing is not the day, it is the fact that we should seperate ourselves to rest in Christ, and I believe that if we put limitations on that to a specific date or time we do not honor Him, we should live our lives as an act of worship and find our rest in Him even in the midst of the things of the world. Just my thoughts, not law.

H7673

שׁבת

shâbath

shaw-bath'

A primitive root; to repose, that is, desist from exertion; used in many implied relations (causatively, figuratively or specifically): - (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, keep (sabbath), suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.

Sabbath

SABBATH, n.

1. The day which God appointed to be observed by the Jews as a day of rest from all secular labor or employments, and to be kept holy and consecrated to his service and worship. This was originally the seventh day of the week, the day on which God rested from the work of creation; and this day is still observed by the Jews and some christians, as the sabbath. But the christian church very early begun and still continue to observe the first day of the week, in commemoration of the resurrection of Christ on that day, by which the work of redemption was completed. Hence it is often called the Lords day. The heathen nations in the north of Europe dedicated this day to the sun, and hence their christian descendants continue to call the day Sunday. But in the United States, christians have to a great extent discarded the heathen name, and adopted the Jewish name sabbath.

2. Intermission of pain or sorrow; time of rest.

Peaceful sleep out the sabbath of the tomb.

3. The sabbatical year among the Israelites. Lev 25.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/19/1948

I choose to celebrate my assurance of salvation by honouring the Lord's day - the day that Jesus rose from the dead. I believe that we have stolen more from our Jewish brethren than is good for us and we should not steal their Rest Day as well. It was a gift that God gave to His people and I don't want to stand in between my in laws. :blink::)

I often wonder if people believe that Sabbath means seven(th) That would explain much of the misunderstanding that occurs.

Now, I may choose to honour my Lord's resurrection but I also believe that people must needs do what feels "holy" to them. If you believe that Saturday should be made separate and apart - have at it.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

That's my belief as well. :thumbsup:

What I think is most important for Christians, actually, is not so much the day of the week, but the act of setting aside a day for God. Whichever day it is, do it FOR GOD.

"One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living."

Romans 14:5 through Romans 14:9