George

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

I might add, are you saying that the late Mother Theresa is not a Christian role model?

I don't think it was the sacrifices made by Mother Theresa that Marnie was critical of. :noidea: It was the outrageous statements you made against Roberson that is in question.

This is well reported stuff. It was all over the news in 1994 with the diamond mines and with Charles Taylor. The 700 Clubs own financial records proved it. The guy is a bad person. Even the President of the Southern Baptist Convention said as much.

As far as Liberia goes, Pat Robertson's own words;

What Robertson, 73, has not discussed in these broadcasts is his financial interest in Liberia. In an interview yesterday, he said he has "written off in my own mind" an $8 million investment in a gold mining venture that he made four years ago under an agreement with Taylor's government.

Yet, he added: "Hope springs eternal. Once the dust has cleared on this thing, chances are there will be some investors from someplace who want to invest. If I could find some people to sell it to, I'd be more than delighted."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?p...A35786-2003Jul9

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...&ran=185866

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Robertson

Nobody is denying his defense of Taylor. I remember when this story broke. At the same time, it is mere speculation that Roberson was only defending Taylor because of financial reasons. Nobody can prove he wouldn't have done the same thing anyway.

Then why did he attempt to orginally hide the fact he had 8 million on the line? If this was a one time deal it would be one thing, but its a pattern. I mean come on now, I was born at night, but it was not last night. So what if Pat Robertson preaches and quotes the Bible, its his actions that are what is telling. Hitler constantly quoted scripture, but we sure know that he was no Christian.

There are way to many good and decent Christians out there for me to waist any time constantly rationalizing the unconcionable deeds of of someone like Pat Robertson. If he is not a modern day Pharsees, then who is?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  201
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Most of the things Roberson has been wrong about were nothing more than predictions.

Well, with just the one little caviat that I've heard him say on his show that the Lord tells him these errant predictions. Not all of them, must some of the ones that are wrong. The rest of the time, he lets people believe by implication that the Lord is telling him, such as when he says here that the "Lord did not say it would be nuclear," the obvious implication is that God gave him the prediction, but didn't say this bit about it being nuclear. Pat is not so stupid as to be unaware of how his statements lead people to believe God is telling him these things.

If you really want to convince me that Pat is a false prophet, I want complete transcripts of his prophecies, showing that he was claiming they were given to him from God

Unfortunately, I do not keep transcripts of his show on those rare occasions when I have watched him.

Edited by David Haggith

I agree that if you don't like Pat Roberson, you shouldn't waste time watching him. I would say however, that he is not a modern day Pharisee, at least not in the likeness of the ones Jesus rebuked. The Pharisees were guilty of many things, but on the top of that list was denying that Jesus was the Christ. It is amazing to me how many throw the label of Pharisee around so freely today, but if one will actually go back and read about them, they will find that most they are accusing of being modern Pharisees are nothing of the sort.

Well I will agree that they were guilty of denying that Jesus was the Christ, but also they were people who were greedy, materialistic, sought to strongly influence politics, were self-rightous and who promoted beliefs that were shaped around their own greedy and selfish worldviews rather than the teachings of God. Sounds to me as being a pretty close match to guys like Robertson.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I believe the Dali Lama to be geniune, too, and a good man with good intentions

A good man, eh? There is no one good--no not one.

Psalm 53:3

Every one of them has turned aside;They have together become corrupt; There is none who does good, No, not one.

Every one of them has turned aside;They have together become corrupt; There is none who does good, No, not one.

I wasn't speaking in such an absolute sense. In that sense, Pet Robertson is a no-good man either.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I wasn't speaking in such an absolute sense. In that sense, Pet Robertson is a no-good man either.

Well the way you were going on about it, Pat didn't even measure up to the Dalai Lama! The Dalai Lama couldn't even lick Pat's boots!

Well the way you were going on about it, Pat didn't even measure up to the Dalai Lama! The Dalai Lama couldn't even lick Pat's boots!

The Dalai Lama, while not a Christian, has devoted his entire life to the service of others. He lives simply, strives for peace, and fights for the impoverished and the oppressed. It is something of an irony that his actions are more Christian than many Christians. Of course, as Ghandi said: "I like your Christ, I don't like your Christians, Your Christians are so unlike your Christ". Its unfortunate how as Christians we see that quote ringing true time and time again.

Pat Robertson lives a life of pure luxury off of donations from largely the impoverished, has used his tax exempt aid organization to line his pockets by furthering diamond mine operations in which he was partnered with a brutal African dictator on, and has supported a war criminal and murderous dictator when the U.S. intervened in Liberia simply because Pat Robertson had 8 million invested in gold mines there.

So really, the Dalai Lama could not like Pat's boots, because the Dalai Lama probably could not afford the few minutes of Pat Robertson's very costly time to do so.

Honestly, why do guys defend a guy like Pat Robertson?

The Dalai Lama couldn't even lick Pat's boots!

Well, he could. He just wouln't like to because Pat steps in lot of ... well, you know ... his own mouth.

It is something of an irony that [the Dalai Lama's] actions are more Christian than many Christians.

Sad commentary on many Christians, indeed. I think Christ would love the guy. They could talk for hours, and I think that if they ever met in person, the Dalai Lama just might come around because he would have a lot less distance to come in terms of his LIFE than many Christians.

Of course, as Ghandi said: "I like your Christ, I don't like your Christians, Your Christians are so unlike your Christ"

He also said -- I am told -- when asked why he didn't become a Christian,

"Because I never met one."

We can recoil and lash back against those statement; but, in doing so, we only prove how very like the statements we are.

--Knave Dave

Edited by David Haggith

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

...And they'll know we are Christians by our love

By our love