• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  387
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/11/1977

1Sa 16:16

Let our lord113 now4994 command559 thy servants,5650 which are before6440 thee, to seek out1245 a man,376 who is a cunning3045 player5059 on a harp:3658 and it shall come to pass,1961 when1961 the evil7451 spirit7307 from God430 is upon5921 thee, that he shall play5059 with his hand,3027 and thou shalt be well.2895

this is verse 23...

1Sa 16:23 And it came to pass,1961 when1961 the evil spirit7307 from God430 was upon413 Saul,7586 that David1732 took3947 (853) a harp,3658 and played5059 with his hand:3027 so Saul7586 was refreshed,7304 and was well,2895 and the evil7451 spirit7307 departed5493 from4480, 5921 him.

Edited by TomPJr

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

It is simply a statement about God's sovereignty and his ability to use evil to achieve His purposes without actually being evil or doing evil Himself. Notice that the text does not say "an evil spirt of God". Rather it states it was an evil spirit from God. God permited the evil spirit to act according to its own nature in Saul's life. In doing so, God achieved His eternal purposes. Thus we see that God is sovereignly in control over both evil and good.

Good directly eminates from God's character. Evil does not. So God uses passive agents to control evil rather than actively producing it Himself.

It should also be pointed out that the hebrew word for evil (Ra'ah) can mean either harm, painful, wickedness, or destruction. The translators of the Septuagint used the Greek word poneros to translate this word. It is the same word used in Revelation 16:2 to describe the "painful sores" that would break out on people.

What is also interesting is if you look at 1 Samuel 16:14

Now the Spirit of the LORD had left Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD began to torment him,

1 Samuel 16:14 CSB

Notice one is of God, one is sent by God

Later in verse 16 we see the Evil Spirit referred to as the evil spirit from God (Elohim, rather than Yahweh)

Frequently in the OT, when Yahweh is used, it focuses on God's loving care for His people. When Elohim is used it speaks of God's transendance and control over all events. His sovereignty

For example in Genesis 7:15 we read:

Those that entered, male and female of all flesh, entered just as God had commanded him. Then the LORD shut him in.

Genesis 7:15 CSB

Thus we see that it is Elohim that commands the people to enter the ark, but Yahweh that shuts the door. We see 2 aspects of God's character at work. His transcendant soveriegn command, and his loving salvific care.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

TomPJr

Interpretation !

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. KJV

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create calamity; I, the Lord, do all these things.' NKJV

Amos 3:6 Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it? KJV

Amos 3:6 If a trumpet is blown in a city, will not the people be afraid? If there is calamity in a city, will not the Lord have done it? NKJV

Micah 1:12 For the inhabitant of Maroth waited carefully for good: but evil came down from the LORD unto the gate of Jerusalem. KJV

Micah 1:12 For the inhabitant of Maroth pined for good, But disaster came down from the Lord To the gate of Jerusalem. NKJV

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I agree with the answer given by EricH. Here is another passage that shows how God can use something evil to bring about his will. 2 Chronicles 18:18-22

18 Again he said; Therefore hear the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting upon his throne, and all the host of heaven standing on his right hand, and on his left.

19 And the LORD said, Who shall entise Ahab king of Israel, that he may go up and fall at Ramoth Gilead? And one spake, saying after this manner, and another saying after that manner.

20 Then there came out a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will entise him. And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith?

21 And he said, I will go out, and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And the LORD said, Thou shalt entise him, and thou shalt also prevail: go out, and do even so.

22 Now therefore behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against thee.

The more I read the scriptures, the more I am in awe of just how much in control of his creation God is. There are many that believe God simply created us, and now is completely differen't and hands off. I don't believe that is true. The Bible gives us a look at the ultimate plan of God, and he will use whatever means necessary to ensure that plan is fulfilled.

:thumbsup: