• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/29/1978

In our day and age, which is not unlike that throughout history, the acquisition of wealth and power on earth is the driving force and motivation in many people

Yeah, people get confused thinking that abundant/abundance means prosperity.(material gain). Not so. You can be poor but abundant in the Fruits of the Spirit. But so often abundance in worldy possessions is placed higher than abundance of God's Love and Faithfulness.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

The problem is, G-d promises prosperity to His children; you can't take out those verses from the Bible. However, prosperity can take many forms. No, I definitely believe that G-d wants us prosperous, in health, happiness, even finances.

Prosper - to be successful, to thrive

Abundant - present in great quantity, fully sufficient

Yeah, God does want the best for His Children and to see us thrive in all aspects of our lives and to be fully sufficient in Him. As for finances, what God has Blessed us with money wise, we then need to give back freely, for God loves a cheerful giver!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Yeah, God does want the best for His Children and to see us thrive in all aspects of our lives and to be fully sufficient in Him. As for finances, what God has Blessed us with money wise, we then need to give back freely, for God loves a cheerful giver!

Amen! :thumbsup: What King wouldn't bless the King's Kids? We have quite an inheritance, eh?

Amen! :thumbsup: What King wouldn't bless the King's Kids? We have quite an inheritance, eh?

Ain't that the Truth!! :blink:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

Mark 10:20-22 (King James Version)

And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.

Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

I would like to point out that the net effect of these verses is to turn the rich person into a poor person. In the eyes of the world, and most of the Christian financial advisers, this is foolishness.

If you have never been placed in the position of giving away (or losing) everything that you have and starting over with nothing, let me assure you that you are missing a real treat. :noidea: The man Jesus was talking to understood the end result of what Jesus said to do, and he went away sad, even grieved, but he kept his stuff.

Having possessions is no big deal, but most people can't understand that the possessions so very often have them. I have a friend that just recovered from Malaria in Africa because he didn't have a net to sleep under to keep from being bitten. He loves the Lord, he is poor, he suffers as a direct result of the poverty, and his life nearly ended this Christmas season because of his poverty situation.

Anyone that wants to email him, PM me and I will give you his email address. He is very willing to tell his story, and it is best for you to get it from the source. He needs help from Christians that have more than he does, but I gotta tell you, RARE is the response to giving alms (gifts) to the needy even among the Christian wealthy. This has been my 30+ year observation. Please prove me wrong. :noidea:

PS I am sorry, I realize I skewed this thread into a completely side issue.

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

If you have never been placed in the position of giving away (or losing) everything that you have and starting over with nothing, let me assure you that you are missing a real treat. :noidea: The man Jesus was talking to understood the end result of what Jesus said to do, and he went away sad, even grieved, but he kept his stuff.

:noidea: The thing is, most believers get their eyes on the blessings instead of on the Blessor. This is wrong. G-d is our source for everything, even in the material world, and His resources are unlimited, therefore our blessings are unlimited, as well. To enjoy the unlimited blessings of the Lord, one must live according to His rules and guidelines, which explains why so many believers are living so far below where G-d wants them. To give a kind of homey example, any time I ever took a job (or assignment would be a better word) for the money, I was miserable. But when I take on projects I am interested in or believe in, regardless of the pay, the money comes in and it is always more than expected. In other words, I have learned to keep my eyes off my bottom line and on the One who provides. When I do this, my bottom line takes care of itself.

I have, in fact lost everything. And got it all back and more. It is an experience I highly recommend. Scripture teaches we must be willing to give all, or as I would paraphrase, we need to loosen our grasp on things.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

I have, in fact lost everything. And got it all back and more. It is an experience I highly recommend. Scripture teaches we must be willing to give all, or as I would paraphrase, we need to loosen our grasp on things.

It is an experience I highly recommend. :noidea: (You sound like a follower of a certain man from Galilee :noidea: )

Only someone that has been through this process could emerge with so precious of an attitude. :noidea: This sounds so insane to the ones that have not yet been down this road.

Suffering in and of itself is just suffering, and the process is miserable, but in Christ Jesus there is great treasure at the end of the process, and often even during the process, but to discribe it to anyone that has not been there is like trying to describe color to a person born blind, you have to experience it for yourself.

GBY

Guest Biblicist

If I Were a Rich Man Lyrics

[TEVYE]

"Dear God, you made many, many poor people.

I realize, of course, that it's no shame to be poor.

But it's no great honor either!

So, what would have been so terrible if I had a small fortune?"

If I were a rich man,

Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum.

All day long I'd biddy biddy bum.

If I were a wealthy man.

I wouldn't have to work hard.

If I were a biddy biddy rich,

Yidle-diddle-didle-didle man.

I'd build a big tall house with rooms by the dozen,

Right in the middle of the town.

A fine tin roof with real wooden floors below.

There would be one long staircase just going up,

And one even longer coming down,

And one more leading nowhere, just for show.

I'd fill my yard with chicks and turkeys and geese and ducks

For the town to see and hear.

And each loud "cheep" and "swaqwk" and "honk" and "quack"

Would land like a trumpet on the ear,

As if to say "Here lives a wealthy man."

If I were a rich man,

If I were a wealthy man.

I see my wife, my Golde, looking like a rich man's wife

With a proper double-chin.

Supervising meals to her heart's delight.

I see her putting on airs and strutting like a peacock.

Oy, what a happy mood she's in.

Screaming at the servants, day and night.

The most important men in town would come to fawn on me!

They would ask me to advise them,

Like a Solomon the Wise.

"If you please, Reb Tevye..."

"Pardon me, Reb Tevye..."

Posing problems that would cross a rabbi's eyes!

And it won't make one bit of difference if I answer right or wrong.

When you're rich, they think you really know!

If I were rich, I'd have the time that I lack

To sit in the synagogue and pray.

And maybe have a seat by the Eastern wall.

And I'd discuss the holy books with the learned men, several hours every day.

That would be the sweetest thing of all.

If I were a rich man,

If I were a wealthy man.

Lord who made the Lion and the lamb

You decreed I should be what I am

Would it spoil some vast eternal plan

If I were a wealthy man?