• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

In another thread, the subject of ecumenism came up, and I honestly feel a little puzzled over it. So as not to diverge that thread, I wish to discuss the issue here.

What is the difference between ecumenism and "unity in the Spirit" (being one in the Spirit)?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,844
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

You've obviously got to take into account the DOCTRINE embraced by all these other religions which are, or will be, a part of the ecumenical system.

We are constantly told that we all worship the same 'god', or that there are many roads to God.

How can you have unity without truth?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Are you saying that ecumenism is a movement, and that it tries to include Mormans and Jehovah's Witnesses, and the like?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Content Count:  7,844
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

Are you saying that ecumenism is a movement, and that it tries to include Mormans and Jehovah's Witnesses, and the like?

Ecumenism certainly includes all kinds of erroneous religious beliefs, including, believe it or not - witchcraft.

It encompasses literally allsorts.....e.g. .Baha'i............and even, in their own words, "the church of satan will not be exempt"

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

Ecumenism can mean two different things.

1. It can mean different churches all that adhere to the Nicene Creed, who in attempt to be more unified as The Church, enter into communion with each other.

2. It can be something like the Unitarian Universalisms spokes on a wheel approach.

Most mainline protestant churches have entered into communion with each other, and I think that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecumenism

this is a better definition of the term.

At some levels, ecumenism is a good thing. Working together with other people is always a good thing if there is a worthy common goal that both agree on.

We should try to be at peace with people whom we even disagree with. There is no reason why christians can't work with people of other faiths in a humanitarian way.

However, since we worship the Father through His Son in the Holy Spirit, and no other "religion" does the same, it is important that we not be led into the worshipping of anything less than 100% Yeshua (Jesus)

So...we can not be yoked at all to a ceremony of reverence toward any other but Yeshua. There is no moral equivalence of gods

That is compromise.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Nicely explained, Yod. There can be no compromise. :rolleyes:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

In another thread, the subject of ecumenism came up, and I honestly feel a little puzzled over it. So as not to diverge that thread, I wish to discuss the issue here.

What is the difference between ecumenism and "unity in the Spirit" (being one in the Spirit)?

If we are to be one in the Spirit it must be the Holy Spirit. My research indicates that for the most part the ecumenical movement is more interested in "unity" than in truth. God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow - He does not change. We cannot be in unity of the Holy Spirit if we compromise any of the truth revealed to us by Him in the Scriptures. When Jesus prayed that we might be one even as He and the Father are one (John 17:23) He defined the oneness we are to have --- the same as He and the Father... not the oneness that we might achieve by committee and compromise.

Below are a few sites that discuss this issue....

http://www.jeremiahproject.com/prophecy/ecumen01.html

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecumenism

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  640
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

pbob,

i am in agreement with you and the way you stated it.

forestkc,

not to pick, but if you were to check out a goodly portion of the denominations you mentioned in your post, you would find there are numerous differences in their theology, and many that are more than just different interpretations of the same verse. your generalization is correct in may instances, but not as broadly as stated.

your brother in Christ!

Dan