• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I did not say that it was right or wrong, but rather I stated that our morality today is not comparable at all. What was right and wrong 3000 years ago is not always right and wrong today.

And what makes "our morality" so much better? By whose standards?

Again, you claimed it was Moses' command, when in fact Moses was relaying God's command. So by saying you have a problem with Moses' command, your are saying you have a problem with God's command. You can't keep trying to dodge that. It won't work.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

If Moses were among us today, ruling a nation, we would consider him a monster. In Exodus verses 1 and 2 we see the ritual sacrifice of the first born of every man and beast. Is that a high regard for the sanctity of life?

Moses had no qualms at all in ordering the slaughter of every man, woman, and child in war. Look at Numbers 31:14-18

forrest,

God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. what was moral 3000 years ago is still moral today, and what was immoral back then still is.

EXCEPT of course to those who don't know God.

oh, and no, the scriptures in that passage were referring to the premature birth. that's already been proven. sorry if you're so stuck on your modern-day paraphrase translation that happens to be the current favorite of the catholic church, but it's wrong on this one, just like the message bible is wrong on this one.

by the way, if you ever answered my question earlier, i missed it. when did the KJV cease being the official bible of the RCC?

was it about the same time they decided that premature births should change to miscarriages?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

forrest,

God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. what was moral 3000 years ago is still moral today, and what was immoral back then still is.

EXCEPT of course to those who don't know God.

So it would be moral for us today to slaughter every man woman and child in Iraq, sparing only the virgin girls, who the soldiers could take as spoils of war?

I did not say that it was right or wrong, but rather I stated that our morality today is not comparable at all. What was right and wrong 3000 years ago is not always right and wrong today.

And what makes "our morality" so much better? By whose standards?

Again, you claimed it was Moses' command, when in fact Moses was relaying God's command. So by saying you have a problem with Moses' command, your are saying you have a problem with God's command. You can't keep trying to dodge that. It won't work.

I, like many Christians, think much of the Pentateuch is allegorical. Therefore, I don't think that the wholesale slaughter depicted in it was a command of God.

Ask yourself, would slaughtering an entire nation, women and boy children, and sparing only the little girls to be taken as spoils of war be a moral and just thing today?

Which is my point, why on earth would we use the same moralities of the ancient hebrews today regarding the sanctity of life.

So it would be moral for us today to slaughter every man woman and child in Iraq, sparing only the virgin girls, who the soldiers could take as spoils of war?

Forrest, do you realize that this line of thinking is taking Scripture way out of context? The Lord declared a judgment of destruction over the land of Canaan, and He instructed the children of Israel to carry it out. There is no reason to believe this judgment has been declared over Iraq.

What you just said reminds me of a skit I saw where a Christian is asking the Lord how to serve Him, and He answers by giving her the parable of the Good Samaritan and says, "Go and do likewise." She goes out, but never helps anyone in need. When the Lord questions her, she responds, "But I didn't see any beat-up Jews lying on the side of the road!" :taped::rolleyes:

Sorry, but I am shaking my head and wondering how you will react when Jesus returns and slays the people of the Earth gathered to war against Him (Rev. 19). Or do you think the judgments of the entire book of Revelation are not going to physically happen? :blink:

Which is my point, why on earth would we use the same moralities of the ancient hebrews today regarding the sanctity of life.

I am severely disagreeing with you over the source of the Hebrews' actions.

If the Old Testament was all allegorical, why isn't the New Testament allegorical, too? I mean, if the Pentateuch is allegorical, then Abraham never existed. :rolleyes: So how can Paul's teaching on Abraham's faith have any validity if none of that actually happened? :blink:

If the Old Testament was all allegorical, why isn't the New Testament allegorical, too? I mean, if the Pentateuch is allegorical, then Abraham never existed. :emot-giggle: So how can Paul's teaching on Abraham's faith have any validity if none of that actually happened? :blink:

Abraham probably existed. However, where the New Testament is primarily first hand accounts and letters, the Pentateuch was not recorded as it happened. Do you believe the creation stories in Genesis are literal, historical accounts? Do you believe that the story of Noah's Ark and the worldwide flood is a literal, historical account?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

If the Old Testament was all allegorical, why isn't the New Testament allegorical, too? I mean, if the Pentateuch is allegorical, then Abraham never existed. :blink: So how can Paul's teaching on Abraham's faith have any validity if none of that actually happened? :)

Abraham probably existed. However, where the New Testament is primarily first hand accounts and letters, the Pentateuch was not recorded as it happened. Do you believe the creation stories in Genesis are literal, historical accounts? Do you believe that the story of Noah's Ark and the worldwide flood is a literal, historical account?

Yes! :emot-giggle:

And which of the Gospels were recorded as they happened and went straight to the presses as the events unfolded?

It must be quite frustrating not knowing if what you believe in is true or not.

t.