• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/12/1944

reconditioned:

You should ask God to give you the Holy Spirit and if you get it then you can read it, if you don't get it it may be best not to read it.

When we become born again, we have the Holy Spirit resident within us, and we are to read the Word of God, and learn of Him and of His ways so we can obey Him and grow in Him. There isn't an option, for when you refuse, you will starve to death spiritually.

There is no good reason to not read the Word of God!

I must differ with you on this. Where there is no option, there be only robots, not human beings.

God has given us free choice and if He never intervened in some of the most horendous atrocities in history, He will not intervene here. It is that gift of free choice and the way we excercise it, that determines our walk with God and Yeshua.

No. We are responsible to live before God in a way that He would have us live--we are responsible to God to grow up in Him, to mature and feed on His Word. There is no option. A Christian in name only will get a rude awakening one day, "Depart from me, for I never knew you." The Holy Spirit in you yearns for things of God, and reading the Bible is one way to satisfy that hunger. If you don't yearn, then you need to ask God why and make that right with Him.

To deny the choice, the option, is to deny an amazing gift God gave us.

Let me clear something before we get tangled up in an unnecesary argument. I think we mean the same thing in different words.

I wrote: "It is that gift of free choice and the way we excercise it, that determines our walk with God and Yeshua."

and you wrote: "We are responsible to live before God in a way that He would have us live--we are responsible to God to grow up in Him, to mature and feed on His Word"

Together, this means: The way we excercise that free choice is our responsibility to live the way God intended us to.

The fact that I might have a rude awakening some day, hasn't yet given me the enthusiasm for reading scripture.

I could say that from now on I will religiously read every morning.

I could say that i'm going to work on that enthusiasm.

I could say plenty of things that would make it look "good".

I could actually throw every concievable lie into this conversation.

I choose not to. This is where I'm at.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member

It might seem off-topic at first, but it isn't. Just bear with me.

Mountain bike riding has been a hobby of mine for quite a while. Having a somewhat tight Friday schedule I had to find a route that would fit, and I did.

I ride up the Naftali Hills towards the city of Zfat and it's all of a 60-90 minute ride up and 15-20 minutes back down.

I can make it as strenuous as I want and go as fast or as easy as I feel like.

Riding uphill on a bike lends itself to plenty of meditation time and I find myself "discussing" things with the Holy Spirit.

Today, the topic was.....yes, right!.... "Reading and Enjoying God's word".

There are parallels between Reading the Bible and riding uphill on a mountain bike. Did you know that?

First of all, it's something you have to decide to do consciously, I mean, you don't usually just find yourself on a bike riding uphill, do you?

Then there is the long haul. It can be quite a drag, depending at the angle you are looking at it from.

If I were to describe the uphill ride moment by moment it would sound something like "Push the left foot down on the peddle till you feel the bike moving forward. Release your left foot and push down with the right one. Now push again with the left....push with the right...the left..the right...left...right...left...ri....le...r...l...z..z.z.z.zz.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"

Can you imagine describing the whole 60 minutes like this??!! Doesn't it sound the most boring thing you can think of?

I find the Bible similar in the sense that if I "study" it word for word...I just fall asleep, yet the journey as a whole can be fascinating.

How do I read the Bible as a whole and not bit by bit, or word by word..... that's a trick I haven't managed yet, but today's bike ride showed me the direction. Well it wasn't the bike ride obviously. It was the Holy Spirit guiding me.

( by the way, I was wondering if "Reading " and "Riding " were related by any "coincedence" ..... :thumbsup: )

I must confess that the topic itself came about and came into focus after discussing it here in the forum for a while now. Whether you gave answers, suggestions, opinions, even disagreements (?) or just something that came to mind. It was all beneficial and I would say things seem to be on the move.

Maybe I'm getting a bit over excited about it but can you blame me? Suddenly there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a train!

So thank you all. You are a blessing ! :whistling::whistling:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Mountain bike riding has been a hobby of mine for quite a while. Having a somewhat tight Friday schedule I had to find a route that would fit, and I did.

I ride up the Naftali Hills towards the city of Zfat and it's all of a 60-90 minute ride up and 15-20 minutes back down.

Riding uphill on a bike lends itself to plenty of meditation time and I find myself "discussing" things with the Holy Spirit.

There are parallels between Reading the Bible and riding uphill on a mountain bike. Did you know that?

First of all, it's something you have to decide to do consciously, I mean, you don't usually just find yourself on a bike riding uphill, do you?

Then there is the long haul. It can be quite a drag, depending at the angle you are looking at it from.

If I were to describe the uphill ride moment by moment it would sound something like "Push the left foot down on the peddle till you feel the bike moving forward. Release your left foot and push down with the right one. Now push again with the left....push with the right...the left..the right...left...right...left...ri....le...r...l...z..z.z.z.zz.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"

Can you imagine describing the whole 60 minutes like this??!! Doesn't it sound the most boring thing you can think of?

I find the Bible similar in the sense that if I "study" it word for word...I just fall asleep, yet the journey as a whole can be fascinating.

How do I read the Bible as a whole and not bit by bit, or word by word..... that's a trick I haven't managed yet, but today's bike ride showed me the direction. Well it wasn't the bike ride obviously. It was the Holy Spirit guiding me.

( by the way, I was wondering if "Reading " and "Riding " were related by any "coincedence" ..... :thumbsup: )

I must confess that the topic itself came about and came into focus after discussing it here in the forum for a while now. Whether you gave answers, suggestions, opinions, even disagreements (?) or just something that came to mind. It was all beneficial and I would say things seem to be on the move.

Maybe I'm getting a bit over excited about it but can you blame me? Suddenly there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it's not a train!

Blessings, hupo! As we are open to hear what the Lord has to say to us when we have a need or a question, He comes in and in His own wonderful way, He answers!

Reading God's Word avails us of His precious promises, and knowledge of His ways! How else can we learn of God? From others? Yes, but only those who are obedient as we should be to READ His Word!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  150
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

"

( by the way, I was wondering if "Reading " and "Riding " were related by any "coincedence" ..... :21: )

I absolutely get where you are coming from Hupo.... the way that I read scripture may be different but there is no "legalism" in it. I do not commit to read any amount daily.... my goal is not to read it in a year. My goal is to understand what I am reading and meditate on it till it gets in, also I do not read scripture in order, for example an entire book at a time. I do remember the day when I would try to read a certain amount of scripture each day and by the third to fifth day I had scraped the entire thing in frustration. Part of the reason was it was just words on a page then. I do know that I understand and receive the passages that I read far better now than then, I wasn't even saved then.

That said, here is how I read.... I read a passage(s) based on a teaching that I have heard recently either at church or at a website called OnePlace.com, I listen to James McDonald alot. PM me if you are interested in the link. Or I read a passage based on something that the Holy Spirit has reminded me of or led me to. Also, as I read, I mark and write in my bible the things that jump out at me.... I put dates in there, notes and impressions that I have while reading. What is happening here is I am having an "interactive" experience while reading the passages. I do not time it, or commit to reading any amount, five years later you wouldn't believe how much of the Bible I have read, retained and have knowledge of. I know cause I have written, dated and highlighted or put notes in it. When I was new to the Lord, I bought colored pens that didn't bleed through the pages and changed colors alot, sounds silly I know, but my Bible is pretty colorful now and really reminds me of how much time I have been in the Word. I am one of these "easily distracted" people and needed this interaction to keep my focus.

Maybe you can use some of this for yourself and your reading time. :laugh::21::thumbsup:

Bethany

• Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

Don't put pressure on yourself to read a whole chapter a day, if you find that cumbersome. Also, don't try to read therough Leviticus or Numbers if you're having one of those times :whistling:

Really, though, reading the Bible doesn't have to be burdensome. It's okay to just read a verse or two sometimes. I wouldn't want to go the rest of my life only reading that much...but if you're really feeling like reading a whole chapter isn't nourishing you, then don't!

Find a good Bible study to go through. Ask your pastor for recommendations...one whose entries are short and to the point is probably best to start out. But there are tons of those things out there...you might have to go through a couple to find the one that's right for you, but I promise you there are some enjoyable ones out there.

One final thing: remember that the Christian life isn't always about what feels good. I'm giving you these pointers to get you into it a little more...but don't stop trying to grow in the discipline of reading scripture. If you read one or two verses every day for a month, maybe make it your goal that at the end of the month, you will read a whole chapter once a week, or something like that. Take baby steps, but always take steps.

There was a time when I "heard" a voice saying "don't read the Bible.....". I was convinced satan was behind this one and so I force read for a couple of months only to finaly hear God wording the full sentance: "don't read the bible....with your own mind!". That was an awesome lesson. If I could only put it to practice......

hupo,

We all do struggle from time to time and even face guilt about reading or not reading the Word. I understand your struggle because mine is the exact opposite. Personally, I believe that God doesn't want us to follow some kind of protocol in reading His Word, but just to read it. It's about getting to know Him and allowing Him to show us who we are. Maybe you could try reading a good devotional. Not only are you getting the Word into your spirit that way, but you're also being taught a possible application for it. Then, once you work through the frustration of having to force yourself to read it, you'll learn to enjoy it. God will help you with this because He wants this relationship with you.

God's love to you,

4given1

Blessings, hupo! As we are open to hear what the Lord has to say to us when we have a need or a question, He comes in and in His own wonderful way, He answers!
He sure does :24:
Reading God's Word avails us of His precious promises, and knowledge of His ways! How else can we learn of God? From others? Yes, but only those who are obedient as we should be to READ His Word!

Yes reading is definatly a good way to get to know God, but I don't think it's the only way. On the other hand, having another way, is no excuse not to read.

Re: this topic..... I do read. I don't enjoy it. (Yet!)

I absolutely get where you are coming from Hupo.... the way that I read scripture may be different but there is no "legalism" in it. I do not commit to read any amount daily.... my goal is not to read it in a year. My goal is to understand what I am reading and meditate on it till it gets in, also I do not read scripture in order, for example an entire book at a time. I do remember the day when I would try to read a certain amount of scripture each day and by the third to fifth day I had scraped the entire thing in frustration. Part of the reason was it was just words on a page then. I do know that I understand and receive the passages that I read far better now than then, I wasn't even saved then.
Yes, there are ways to reading. I did read the bible in a year and almsot swore not to do it again. I tried reading verses at random. tried reading according to topic. tried following a word around.... I haven't yet found the right "remedy"
That said, here is how I read.... I read a passage(s) based on a teaching that I have heard recently either at church or at a website called OnePlace.com, I listen to James McDonald alot. PM me if you are interested in the link. Or I read a passage based on something that the Holy Spirit has reminded me of or led me to. Also, as I read, I mark and write in my bible the things that jump out at me.... I put dates in there, notes and impressions that I have while reading. What is happening here is I am having an "interactive" experience while reading the passages. I do not time it, or commit to reading any amount, five years later you wouldn't believe how much of the Bible I have read, retained and have knowledge of. I know cause I have written, dated and highlighted or put notes in it. When I was new to the Lord, I bought colored pens that didn't bleed through the pages and changed colors alot, sounds silly I know, but my Bible is pretty colorful now and really reminds me of how much time I have been in the Word. I am one of these "easily distracted" people and needed this interaction to keep my focus.

Maybe you can use some of this for yourself and your reading time. :emot-wave::clap::24:

Bethany

THanks Bethany,

At fellowship today I took notes as to your suggestion. If it won't work, it won't do any harm :24:

What does work is reading scripture with music attached, in other words, songs do speak to me.

I'll have to see what I can do with that

THanks and God bless :24:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  313
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

You might have ADHD, or depression. Is it only the bible or long texts genarally?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

:) Glad to hear it, Hupo!

If it helps, reading the Word will become more exciting as you begin to apply it to your life. For instance, when you are faced with fear - Psalms 91 and 121 will suddenly become very meaningful to your current situation - and you'll want to repeat them over and over as prayers and to strengthen your faith. Or if you desire to learn how to live more righteously, Proverbs and the Epistles have great guidelines. Or when a friend is discouraged and you want to encourage them, it's wonderful to pull out a Scripture verse that encourages them to have hope.

Then reading Scripture is more than pushing the peddle, but enjoying the scenery as well. :emot-hug:

Lord bless you in your endeavors!

You might have ADHD, or depression. Is it only the bible or long texts genarally?
What on earth is ADHD? sounds like a new scripting language for windows Vista

It's mainly the Bible, and the reason for that is i've given up reading anything else. I get too tired too quickly now days