• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

"Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands"

What if he's aware you are trying to be a good Christian and he is clearly not a Christian and is taking full advantage of your wanting to obey all of the rules, particularly in the NT. I know only Christ's blood will save us, but He does say to do our best and some NT books declare this standard of spousal submission.

Lets just say my husband fills our living room with garbage TV every day and is subjecting the entire household to the end results of this mental destruction. His response to my objections would be, "Just because you watch things like this, doesn't mean it will influence your behavior."

My theory on that is, your brain is like a sponge, only you can never squeeze out what you put into it. Soaking up a little dirt is something that sometimes happens whether we allow it or not, but mopping the entire dirty side of TV(in this case) willingly, can leave us without room for anything good to absorb and rest in by the end of the day. Years of this accumulation can have the same impact as would eating cheeseburgers to your arteries.

His reply, "There is medication for arteries now that can undo the damage."

This reminds me of the scenerio of the Christian who thinks they can go through life sinning and quickly get redemption in the end.

My question is, should a wife just shut up and take this form of socially acceptable abuse because she is in subjection to her husband?

edit: my husband did give permission for me to post this.

Edited by None

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

1 Peter 3:1-2

Wives and Husbands

1Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2when they see the purity and reverence of your lives.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  633
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  06/05/1953

"Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands"

What if he's aware you are trying to be a good Christian and he is clearly not a Christian and is taking full advantage of your wanting to obey all of the rules, particularly in the NT. I know only Christ's blood will save us, but He does say to do our best and some NT books declare this standard of spousal submission.

Lets just say my husband fills our living room with garbage TV every day and is subjecting the entire household to the end results of this mental destruction. His response to my objections would be, "Just because you watch things like this, doesn't mean it will influence your behavior."

My theory on that is, your brain is like a sponge, only you can never squeeze out what you put into it. Soaking up a little dirt is something that sometimes happens whether we allow it or not, but mopping the entire dirty side of TV(in this case) willingly, can leave us without room for anything good to absorb and rest in by the end of the day. Years of this accumulation can have the same impact as would eating cheeseburgers to your arteries.

His reply, "There is medication for arteries now that can undo the damage."

This reminds me of the scenerio of the Christian who thinks they can go through life sinning and quickly get redemption in the end.

My question is, should a wife just shut up and take this form of socially acceptable abuse because she is in subjection to her husband?

First, are you funning a scenario or two actual encounters where he said both of those statements? Not that it really matters but I am somewhat confused as you put them both as scenarios (supposed could happens). Then, how do you know he is not a Christian? Has he never accepted Jesus Christ or are you judging him by his desire to watch "garbage tv"? I don't see any abuse but I DO know many people in Christianity seek to "free themselves" from their spouse or at the least, not apply God's Word due to technicalities as they see them. God - Jesus never gave any room for "Technicalities". There is no "gray areas" even when we wish theye was. If your husband did accept Jesus Christ, you have an advocate to go to. If he has never or is not serving Jesus, (and you cannot use tv as a gauge...Jesus said fruits of the spirit), you still only have one advocate - Jesus.

Paul dealt with this in Corinthians:

1 Corinthians 7:13-14 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

Basically, he is the man you chose to marry and if his leadership is not Christ centered, then place yourself under Christ's leadership and follow Him yet, giving heed and love more abounding in Christ toward your husband. Jesus never wanted you to argue with your spouse or fight with them. If a spouse is "unBeliever", they are not mindful nor will be of what you deem necessary in Life but still should receive respect as who they are to you. In your case, your husband should be acknowledged and actually treated better by you for Christ's sake. You want Love and Change, show him the Love and Change of Jesus applied personally without yokes and bonds your husband doesn't nor would understand.

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

From the dictionary of Marnie: Submission: HARD!

Guest Biblicist

I believe that submission begins in the heart. Your relationship with the Lord will definately dictate what type of relationship you have with your husband. Complete submission to Jesus Christ as Lord and saviour helps with submission to others. Jesus, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, came here to be servant to all.

A wife should not be gossiping about your husband to other people. "The heart of her husband safely trusts her." Proverbs 31:11&12

If you have a problem with your husband, go to him. If it's not something you can talk to him about you should definately not talk to anyone else about it.

If he will not listen to you, after you have approached him with the problem then you go to your pastor and ask him if he will join you in a conversation with your husband. Matthew 18:15-17

It also has to do with loving your husband. "Love covers over a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

1 Corinthians 13:4-8a 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails.

None of this should hinge on whether or not your husband is a Christian. The most important thing we can do for our husbands is pray for them. Being a husband and being accountable to Christ for their wife, and children, is a huge job.

My husband says this,

To have a submissive wife is a wife who takes her role as a woman and a wife seriously and enjoys it. She understands the differences between men and women, and doesn't try to be a female man.

A submissive wife is a wife who does not jump ahead of the husband's plans. No matter how slowly he may be going with those plans. A submissive wife is a wife who does not try to take charge all the time.

Of course, he also said the picture of a sibmissive wife is me. :emot-crying: Although I don't have any problem with being submissive to him I KNOW there are times when I am not.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

I don't see any abuse but I DO know many people in Christianity seek to "free themselves" from their spouse or at the least, not apply God's Word due to technicalities as they see them. God - Jesus never gave any room for "Technicalities".

I love my husband and, from a non-Christian's point of view, have a perfect, happy home.

Who is trying to run away?

I may panic when the pressure's on but God quickly levels my thoughts, rendering me able to make better choices.

There is no "gray areas" even when we wish theye was.

I like the black and white. It makes choices much easier. I hate grey.

Has he never accepted Jesus Christ...?

He claimed to have said the "little magic prayer" when he was younger.

The trouble with my disbelief in his actual acceptance of Jesus is, whenever I try to talk to him about God, he acts like a vampire who's just been shown a cross, he runs away. Every time. 8 years and no matter how many different ways I try to approach him, this is how he responds.

Not to mention that just recently he told me he actually hates people who are "born again through Jesus".

Just an opinion. He's not saved.

You want Love and Change, show him the Love and Change of Jesus applied personally without yokes and bonds your husband doesn't nor would understand.

Not everyone has the same personality.

For instance, his mother is extremely soft spoken and very sweet.

I can't fake that and won't. He has told me many times he wishes I was like his mom.

What most people expect to see when they think of the glowing Christian is Suzy-Homemaker.

I am not like that. I can never be like that.

This is how most non-believers judge character, by audible/tangable traits.

Trying to be like that would be acting and therefore lying and I'm not going to lie.

Every person who wrote a book in the Bible has portrayed their own specific personality, all being a teeny bit different.

I have showed him the Love and Change my relationship with Jesus has brought me.

He wants Suzy-Homemaker.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

none,

With all due respect you seem a bit naggy.

If you feel that tv is detrimental to your marriage, give him a reason to turn off the TV.

Ask if he wants to take a walk with you.

Or go out for ice cream.

Or play cards.

Or put in an acceptable movie that you both like to watch.

There are other things you can do but I'll let you use your imagination on that.

Women can get their way without nagging all the time over trivial things.

I also do not think it is right for you to judge his salvation.

If he told you that he said the sinners prayer, then you need to believe him.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  01/27/1964

From the dictionary of Marnie: Submission: HARD!

Never a truer word was written. :emot-crying:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

Submission is about respect and yielding. Scripturally, you should yield to him in everything unless he asks you to do something that contradicts God's Word. However, there are ways for you to respectfully influence and encourage him to be a better leader in the home. Have you thought of counseling? What about going through a book on marriage together? Does he like to read? Does he have a close friend he respects who is more mature who could mentor him?

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

umm does anyone look at the ads on some of these pages? There was an add for wives who want to cheat on their husbands above.... :emot-crying: