What do you know about panic attacks?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Does anyone know anything about panic attacks? My college son has occasional very devastating panic attacks that are extremely instense. He had one today, the first one in a long time. They had to call the campus police to try to subdue him, then the paramedics, then a mental health consultant.

He's doing better now and is going to take advantage of the free counseling they offer at the university. It was a very rocky day for him. He's a very good, conservative young man. They say it's a disorder, like a seizure disorder, only panic attacks.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  95
  • Birthday:  08/20/1961

Garden Dove,

I had been plagued with severe panic attacks before in my life. First even though the way it happened sounded pretty traumatic I think that God has opened the door for intervention to start. With my panic attacks I started by treating them with anti-anxiety meds, which they should probably prescribe. Then an important step was counseling where I not only learned some breathing and focusing exercises to help get them under control but also was able to get to the root of the cause, a trauma that happened 20 years before. Then God, through a christian counselor, a supportive body of believers, prayer and faith healed me of the problem. So just stand on the fact that God is supplying a route for healing. Sometimes it starts with mental health care providers so that your son can get over the worst of it so God can work.

Father I thank You for being with this beloved child and thank You for the work You are about to do. I ask that you give this child the assurance to know that You are in control. Work through those professionals to bring him back to a place where fear does not plague and affect him. Send your Holy Spirit to comfort a parent's heart. Thank You for Your mighty hand on this situation. In Jesus Holy Name,Amen.

Amanda

At the university they have a counselor who specializes in anxiety disorders. It's free, included in the tuition. My son also said he's going to join a support group that meets there.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  662
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  02/01/1960

Medically I don't know much about panic attacks, but I got them for about 3 years. I went through a very tough time in my life with extreme stress and to the point where I got muscle spasms and seizures, as a result of my tension. Being alcoholic also didn't help matters at all. I remember the very first time it happened and we were driving in the car (hubby, kids and myself) and suddenly in a split second I started panicking....but didn't know what was happening. Fear took a grip on my life and I felt like my I was loosing my mind.

It crept up on me and the attacks got so severe, that I nearly choked my mother one day, out of fear!! You have to realise that a person who gets panic attacks are fearful and scared and helpless at that moment. You are so extremely scared at that stage that all you see is death, and torture!

My heart rate was always sky high and I was admitted to hospital several times for near-strokes as a result of that. One night I got a panic attack and hubby rushed me to hospital. By the time they got to me, the panic attack was gone but my blood pressure was still hitting the rooftop and at that stage was 290/205!!!!! Believe it or not, but I lived it, and I lived to tell the story! (at that stage I was in my mid-20's with two young kids). The doctor said that my blood pressure must've been much higher than that, since it already started to drop when he got to me.... so I have no idea what it was when I got the attack.

Seeing my blood pressure go that high didn't help much, and I got reminded of it each time I would get a panic attack, and then it would get worse, since I then realised that I may die of a stroke.

My GP diagnosed me also with depression and I was put on medication for depression and panic attacks. It would get so out of hand, that he increased the medication every other week. Finally I was put on the strongest medication that you can get for panic attacks and I took 2 tablets three times a day and also two before I went to bed. Slowly but surely I got hooked on the medication and increased my dosage myself. By this time I was so used to the meds that I started buying my own medication on top of these.

The panic attacks was under control, and I was addicted to prescription drugs, but still depressed and neurotic. It got so bad, that I got a panic attack when I skipped my medication and my mind was playing serious tricks on me.

Nobody knew what I was going through and didn't understand why I was so scared and fearful. A person with panic attacks cannot explain this - it's a living hell! My husband thought I was crazy and my kids was afraid of me, since I got aggressive with the panic attacks. I used to get about 3-5 attacks daily!!

Well, after three years being an addicted to medication alcoholic, my sister told me about this cool church that they found and I thought, "yeah right, whatever!!"

To make a long story short.....

I found JESUS and got delivered from alcohol and all the medication!!

Remember, it is extremely dangerous and even fatal to be on these medication and stop using it immediately. You have to be "nursed" and slowly decrease the intake. BUT...... the Lord delivered me, and He can do that in your case as well. I woke up one morning and was ready to take my medication, when I just turned around and threw EVERYTHING in the dustbin and quit drinking ENTIRELY!

Until today I haven't looked back once! Jesus has set me free!! Praise the Lord!! (it's been 6 years)

My personal belief that most panic attacks are actually demonic attacks. I do however realise that some attacks are to do with chemical imbalances, but if you have a history of stress, then it's most likely spiritual.

I pray for your family and ask God for intervention.

If He could do it for me... He can do it for you!

Shalom...

The Blood of Jesus covers you all!

Esther

:emot-hug:

Awesome~~Last week I ministered to a Lady from a church I had spoke at. She had a similar case. The Lord had revealed that there was unresolved issues (traumas) and unforgiveness in her life that had opened the door for this torment. When she addressed these issues she was set free...

God's Word is still doing what it says it will do... SET THE CAPTIVES FREE!!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  662
  • Birthday:  02/01/1960

Does anyone know anything about panic attacks? My college son has occasional very devastating panic attacks that are extremely instense. He had one today, the first one in a long time. They had to call the campus police to try to subdue him, then the paramedics, then a mental health consultant.

He's doing better now and is going to take advantage of the free counseling they offer at the university. It was a very rocky day for him. He's a very good, conservative young man. They say it's a disorder, like a seizure disorder, only panic attacks.

Encourage your son to allow the Holy Spirit to reveal the source of torment. Address the issue the Holy Spirit reveals to him by either forgiving someone, submitting an emotional wound to God, and unresolved guilt.

I hope I am not being to personal but is there a father issue??

Emotional trauma is a #1 cause of panic attacks.

Blessings, Karen

BTW~I use to suffer panic attacks for years... Jesus set me free too!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

I suffered from panic attacks. Usually in crowded places, like restaurants, airport terminals or subways. I never needed to be subdued though, I would just pass out.

The only things that worked for me were medication in the beginning, but much prayer and "self talk" later on. Filling my mind with the Word and positive thoughts seemed to help a lot. I am not saying this will work for everybody; there may be a need for constant medication in your son's case.

• Topic Count:  160
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

At the university they have a counselor who specializes in anxiety disorders. It's free, included in the tuition. My son also said he's going to join a support group that meets there.

This sounds good but I would also recommend that he see's his doctor. Medications can help while your son figures out the cause of the panic attacks.

Also- does he go to church? He should seek the counsel of his Pastor.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  633
  • Birthday:  06/05/1953

GardenDove:

You mention your son is a "good and conservative" young man. Is he a Born Again Believer in Jesus?

GardenDove:

You mention your son is a "good and conservative" young man. Is he a Born Again Believer in Jesus?

We are Catholics and don't use that terminology in the Catholic faith.

Meaning, we don't call ourselves born again believers, that one time born again philosophy is not a part of the Catholic approach. You are using a lingo that is strictly from either Evangelical or other types of churches. The Catholic Church doesn't evaluate one's salvation status based on a one time experience of this sort, as far as I know. It's more of an ongoing relationship with God that is considered more important.