My husband hit a dog

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

This is really a long story, but I will try and make it simple.

My husband has a gambling problem and has no family but mine. He does have a sister and brother, but does not really keep in touch. We are in debt, because of both of us, and we are supporting Jerry, my husband, and making him accountable for where he is at if I go in to work on Sundays.

Last Sunday, I went to work, and we were both going to meet at my parents for dinner. On the way over to my parents, Jerry hit a dog that was in the middle of the road. Jerry slammed on his brakes, and the dog rolled under the car. About an hour later, he died. Jerry helped the owner's son, who was snowmobiling. The dog wanted to follow the son, and that is how the dog got hit. Crossing the road to be with the kid who was snowmobiling. Jerry's back brake lines broke, completely, and he had trouble stopping. When he got to the kid and the dog, the dog tried to get up, then fell down. He died. Jerry stayed with the kid, till his dad came and took him to the barn. He told him how sorry he was. He really did feel bad. And so did I. I called up the family an hour later, to give my apology, and the dad was receptive, and sad. I have a tendency of taking care of everyone, and my family told me to leave it alone now. It is what it is. It was an accident.

The dog's owner must have realized who I was, when I called from my parent's home (caller ID) and he went over to my dad's place of work. He asked my dad if Jerry was going to replace his dog. And, he also mentioned that Jerry did not have very good brakes on his car. That is not true. When the dog rolled under the car, he tore up the back brake lines.

Jerry feels bad enough, and we did have to get his brakes fixed, which cost 221 dollars.

We feel very bad for this family. It was an accident. And the kid felt so bad, and said he always had trouble keeping the dog home, that he should have left him in the barn.

Are we liable? Does my husband really have to replace his dog? What does being a Christian require of us?

I have been spiritually falling down, and just decided to get back up. And when I did, that was when it seems like everything went wrong. Jerry hits a dog. Jerry's brakes broke. My friend blew up at me for nothing, and I am having trouble turning off some self hating thoughts I feel about myself. It just feels like we are under attack. Jerry does not believe the way I do, and I have been praying that God will work with him, and help him to see how loving God is. I know we cannot blame everything on the enemy, but everytime I fall down and get back up again, it seems like something bad happens to us. When I say every time, I do mean every time.

I would like to ask for prayer, and would love to hear what you all think.

Thank you,

Rachel72

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Of course you're not liable. Owners are responsible to have their dogs under their control or on a leash at all times. If they're trying to make you feel guilty it's probably to sooth their own guilt over allowing their dog to get run over. Braking for animals has gotten some HUMAN BEINGS killed before, it's a traffic hazard. They should be more responsible with their dogs.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  02/15/1959

Was this a pure-breed dog that they paid for? If not, maybe go to an animal shelter and get one. Or check local newspapers for pups that are being given away. In any event, I personally do not see where you are responsible for replacing it. They were irresponsible for letting it roam away from home.

Accidents do happen. I have hit several dogs in my lifetime and it was no fault of my on. They just ran out in front of my car.

The dad should not have bothered your dad at work about the situation. He should have gone straight to you and your husband. This alone throws up red flags with me. In any event, I would not worry too much about it.

Incidentally, being a Christian does not mean acceeding to the demands of every person who comes along.

I ran over a dog once, it was always loose and everytime I passed by that house it would vigorously charge at my car and then chase it. One time it just got too close and I hit it. There was no one home so I brought it up on the porch of the house. I was very poor at the time and couldn't afford a vet. So I called animal control, but they couldn't do a thing if the dog was on the people's porch.

The dog ended up dying, I heard, and through the grapevine I heard that the owners were indignant. I did not feel guilty one iota. It wasn't my fault and the dog was a nuisance and a menace and should have been contained, not loose and lunging at cars.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Thank you both.

GardenDove---you sound very angry. Maybe I need to be angry. Instead, I feel weak. And humble. I always want to please others and make them happy. And, not having a choice in this matter is hurting me. My husband told me to leave it alone. I have to listen to him, as this situation was his, not mine. Thank you for your feedback. I guess where I am coming from is that we all make mistakes. The mistake of this man's son, leaving the dog loose, cost him his dog. Am I angry at the son? No. He is a kid, and he lost his buddy.

My mother said, "You cannot make others feel better just so you do." I know that is so true.

I have a hard time with anger. Is it okay to be angry about this? And how long till I should stop and forgive this guy for going to my dad?

I appreciate your support. What do you mean when you say the owners of the dog you hit were indignant?

Thanks,

Rachel72

• Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I have seen several court cases where people have hit dogs and sued the owner of the dog and won and the dog owner has had to pay for car repairs because they were not controling their dog. A dog is like a little child and has to be cared for. The law states that the owner must be in control of the dog. If they sue you for the dog, counter sue for the cost of the car repairs, you will most likely win.

Guest Collie1

Rachel, this was an accident pure and simple.

You say, "I have a hard time with anger. Is it okay to be angry about this? And how long till I should stop and forgive this guy for going to my dad? "

Forgive him now, just as Christ forgave you...being angry at this man will not hurt him, but it will hurt you, and could turn into bitterness on your part which does you even more harm.

I would just let this all go, unless you hear back from the dog owner, if he bothers your dad again, your dad should remind him that he was at fault for not controlling the dog, and that if he (the owner) should be glad you don't sue him for the damage done to your car.

Hope it all works out well for you, Colleen

I'm not really angry about my dog hitting experience now, it's too long ago, but I think that people have alot of nerve to try to get compensated for something that was their fault. It's very upsetting to hit and kill a dog, most people like dogs and don't want them to suffer. It really put me in an awful spot to hit that dog, and I wouldn't have had to deal with the fact that I killed a dog if that person had taken proper care of their dog.

I didn't know how to contact the owner, I needed to be at work, and I didn't really know what to do. I didn't want to be financially responsible to take the dog to the vets so I had to abandon the dog on the owner's porch. I definately didn't go back there because some people are irrational, volitile, and have guns.

Then to find out through the grapevine that the owners were furious is really ridiculous. Their dog was a known compulsive car chaser, I had seen them doing nothing dozens of times passing by their house.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,072
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  02/27/1948

Rachel what an awful experience for you all. Give it to the Lord and then let it go! Praying for you. :whistling::whistling:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

Rachel what an awful experience for you all. Give it to the Lord and then let it go! Praying for you. :whistling::whistling:

Same here! :whistling: