• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  698
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/05/1946

Bibles contain the words of God the Father.

Most common read Bible to my knowledge is the King James Version. Why is this?

The King James Version in the only Bible that hasn't be altered .

Every year there is a knew Bible published.

If you have time, do some comparing. I think you will be very surprised.

Blessing to all,

Snowdoove:)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

We have several translations in our home. NIV for teens for my daughter, NIV for kids for my 10 yr old, 2 NIV study bibles, 1 NKJV prophecy study bible, 2 KJV and 1 bible that is a children's bible, written KJV but it isn't the whole bible, that I got when I was a little girl.

We mostly use our NIV study bibles and the NKJV study bible. The KJVs are the real nice family bibles with the gorgeous paintings inside and stuff so we don't use them.

Guest Shawneeda

Hi,

We have had this discussion about bibles several times, but I'll say again, that I use ONLY the King James version, and it for the very reason that you said.  It hasn't been altered.   Anything translated by Wescott and Hort is not good.  Wescott and Hort asserted that they did not believe in the Divinity of Christ nor the Verbal Plenary Inspiration of the Scriptures.  Now, do you want a bible that was translated by such people?  I don't.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

Tell that to the Indonesians ...every language has it's own nuances and word syntax which varies according to the language and culture of a people group.

No matter what language the text is converted into, you will never find an exact or precise translation.  

Language is extremely complex but we make a lot of assumptions regarding the translations according to our own limited understanding.

My husband's a smart man -  he can  take a car apart and put it together again. He can read schematics and diagrams with mastery but he can barely read. We use an NIV translation written at about the 6th grade level.

The Indonesian Bible translation would blow your mind...it had to be adapted to the people's cultural understanding and linguistic nuances.  

Compare this to witnessing: When you do inner city ministry to the homeless, a wise witness will dress in simple street clothes and not their "Sunday" best...in order to relate to the people group you're relating to.  

In missions, you obseve the customary attire of the people you're witness to, as well as traditional greetings and behavior.  

The gospel is a gift from God. We need to put the goal of reaching lost people ahead of anything else. I think Paul defends this position better than I ever could...

1Cor 9:20-22

(20)To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law...

(21)To those not having the law I  became like one not having the law...so as to win those not having the law.

(22) To win the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means  I might save some.

We need to be flexible in using whatever tools we have available. Whether it be the NIV, the KJV, the NASB, or

a childrens' bible... we use whatever will be most effective in communicating God's word to the reader.

-Cat

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

I strongly second that!   :thumb:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I use the KJV because I love the old language

many don't like it. Which Bible will be a discussion

long after we have left the earth. Just read yours and study

it which ever one you feel comfortable with. Thats what is important :noidea:

regarding bible translations, versions:  i have a kjv, niv, nas,rsv,nlt,noah webster's translation,interlinear hebrew and greek, but my favorite is young's literal translation, because it gives me exactly what the original word says.  i think it is very important to know exactly what the original words were, no matter what the language is into which it is translated.  i have found errors in the new living translation, which is easy to read quickly, but there is definitely editorialization, and i can't live by words that someone thinks sound more poetic, or up to date, than the original words.  i think the message is shocking.

Guest okiejack

I use as many versions as I can get my hands on. I like the KJV and the NKJV and the NLT best. I have a Catholic Bible that I like too.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,111
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

At first I thought this was just a topic to find out which Bible we all use. But, is it really a topic to say how bad the KJV is? Not sure.  :noidea:

I have NIV and NRSV. My husband uses only KJV.

Good post, Cat. Even the KJV is not perfect, and not what God "breathed" into the inspired men. Only what they wrote down is.