• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/06/1967

To begin with...why are you paying uni fees when your living at home with your parents...I live in the uk and know that you dont need to be paying them.

Second.....You just want some peace and quiet and be treated like a human being right?...(I can see your frustration btw)...can you get a room and your uni as that seems to be the best option right now.....

third locking you out in a hailstorm no matter what the reason is physical neglect and unacceptable....is there an adult outside the family you can trust and talk to that can help you with practical things (like finding a dorm room and sorting finances etc)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

I know TONS of people that have jobs on top of being a full-time student...actually, I'd say that's the case for 75% of the people I work with. The key is this: You work a well-paying job over the summer (it might mean doing something you don't like, like working construction or something...but newsflash: life's not always about what you like), save up money, and then move somewhere close to campus so you don't have to pay for a car. Get roommates to help with the bills, and BUDGET BUDGET BUDGET. Some banks offer budgeting advice, actually, so check with your local bank see if they do.

Believe me, I'm no stranger to your situation...I'm not long out of it myself.

Anyway, it's either that, or you have to just learn to live with your parents, because trust me, until you're out of the house and proving yourself worthy of the title "adult," it's not going to change. It sucks, but there you have it. Again, I'm not long out of a situation like yours myself.

Anyway, if they DO kick you out, you'll be dealing with the same financial problems you're worried about now...so why wait until they do?

what do u think of Iryssa's idea?

(personally, i would do it if my house wasnt so close to my school.)

i also come from a family were we dont talk about anything. but one time we tried it. it had to be done and u know what? it was VERY awkward but a lot of things came out that day that none of us expected. i was able to say SOME things to my mom that she did in the past that had bothered me for a while. the key was to keep calm.

another thing that i do is to not respond with anger when provoked. no screaming back, storming out or banging doors. i just keep quiet and calm.

you wouldnt believe it but my mom has crazy curfews too! i couldnt get a phone till i was 20, my sister wasnt allowed to go out when she was 21...the fact that she has a BF when she is almost 25 is an issue even! (i assure you, my siblings and i have never done anything to warrant some of the strictness. we stay home all the time anyways). i mean ... parents do these things. just have to find a civil way to get around the, ummm, unreasonable things they ask.

if you feel you really need to stay in your house, try making some room for God to work through you in your family. its easier to be a witness that letting them bring you down :th_praying:

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  03/06/1967

Just wondering how the opening poster is?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Moved from the General Discussion Forum to the Looking for Advise Forum