• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

I don't think there is anything definately sinful about intelligent lighting. Although if it interrupts worship then it's obviously a problem, is it possible to talk to your pastor about it?

And to be quite honest, if a church has enough money to purchase wierd light effects, then it probably isn't doing/giving enough to the community. Send some people on mission trips or something. Help out some homeless people. Both of those sound like wonderful ways to glorify God. Make the church look like someone's Christmas lights blew up? Not so much.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is anything definately sinful about intelligent lighting. Although if it interrupts worship then it's obviously a problem, is it possible to talk to your pastor about it?

And to be quite honest, if a church has enough money to purchase wierd light effects, then it probably isn't doing/giving enough to the community. Send some people on mission trips or something. Help out some homeless people. Both of those sound like wonderful ways to glorify God. Make the church look like someone's Christmas lights blew up? Not so much.

:emot-questioned:

You Go Bro!

Guest Biblicist

My pastor has dedicated this time in our growth to preach about Following the Biblical Method of Church, I posted part of his sermon here.

As long as your church is striving to follow the Biblical model of Church then the extra stuff doesn't matter.

God bless you!

Bib

:emot-questioned:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  150
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Then maybe it's time to walk.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

It is just this sort of 'entertainment' which began to make me 'uncomfortable' with the normal Charismatic worship at my former church.

Every service, HUGE amounts of time were directed toward making everybody 'feel' like worshipping; then actual worship began. It seems to me that directing all this energy and attention horizontally, if you will (out toward US), was NOT what church was for. Rather all the energy and attention needs to be focused on the worship of GOD (upward, if you please!).

I found that Liturgy does this best.

It is a real pity when the Church feels it must 'become relevant' and buys into all the latest "entertainment kitsch" for the sake of 'growth.' This indicates a church unsure of the importance of the moral reason for its existence.

What is everyone's scriptural objection to this?

Come, come, old boy! I'm sure you realize that wherever we spend our most time and energy is what's most important to us! If we spend all our efforts to 'please man,' then we ARE 'man pleasers,' and we KNOW how the Scripture speaks about that, do we not?

And I'm sure you can get out your Strong's Concordance and find a good many passages dealing with the issue of a church becoming 'unsure of the importance of the moral reason for its existence'! Everything I spoke about is a Scriptural issue for the church, I just assumed most folks here knew a little about the Bible, and could make the connections for themselves........

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

It is just this sort of 'entertainment' which began to make me 'uncomfortable' with the normal Charismatic worship at my former church.

Every service, HUGE amounts of time were directed toward making everybody 'feel' like worshipping; then actual worship began. It seems to me that directing all this energy and attention horizontally, if you will (out toward US), was NOT what church was for. Rather all the energy and attention needs to be focused on the worship of GOD (upward, if you please!).

I found that Liturgy does this best.

It is a real pity when the Church feels it must 'become relevant' and buys into all the latest "entertainment kitsch" for the sake of 'growth.' This indicates a church unsure of the importance of the moral reason for its existence.

What is everyone's scriptural objection to this?

Come, come, old boy! I'm sure you realize that wherever we spend our most time and energy is what's most important to us! If we spend all our efforts to 'please man,' then we ARE 'man pleasers,' and we KNOW how the Scripture speaks about that, do we not?

And I'm sure you can get out your Strong's Concordance and find a good many passages dealing with the issue of a church becoming 'unsure of the importance of the moral reason for its existence'! Everything I spoke about is a Scriptural issue for the church, I just assumed most folks here knew a little about the Bible, and could make the connections for themselves........

You really haven't added any sciptural objection. It seems to me that you are atributing motive (that if people want to use modern technology they are guilty of being "men pleasers"). I find nothing unbiblical about using things people are familiar with to make the Gospel more understandable. Paul used the Athenians idol worship (he even quoted their pagan poets) to get his point across. Lights are not sinful in themselves.

The church in question might be spending alot of time and energy on this because they have a heart for the lost. I still don't see your point here.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Hey there guys and gals! :21:

Well the service last sunday was brilliant and the guest speaker (who was from north africa) was such a blessing! It was just what I needed, except for one thing.

We are "upgrading" our Church at the mo and this will mean that a gallery will be built upstairs for more seats and a new sound system will be put in to make things better sounding and of course............louder.

Now dont get me wrong, I love lively music and I listen to alot of "ccm" and loud music at home but when it comes to praise and worship I believe in respecting God and while it can be loud and joyful it shouldnt get out of hand. The newest toy that was bought was inteligent lighting. Its the lights that you would see at a large concert or at a club. They spin and shoot all these coulors onto the stage. Impressive but it could not have been more inapropriate.

I just dont know anymore. I LOVE loud music but I am struggling to honestly praise God when the front of the Church is lit up like a sycadelic christmas tree.

Any thoughts?

Sean

i say nix on the lights..... flashing lights can cause some to go into sezures..... flashing lights is one of the triggers for such things..... might be fun, but then again, might cause some to start thrashing about in a GrandMal seizure..... not something that is desired at church.....

there was a show on TV, that had a bunch of flashing lights, and it caused some major problems with alot of viewers..... strobes can do the same thing....

mike

mike, I hope you are joshing!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Hey there guys and gals! :)

Well the service last sunday was brilliant and the guest speaker (who was from north africa) was such a blessing! It was just what I needed, except for one thing.

We are "upgrading" our Church at the mo and this will mean that a gallery will be built upstairs for more seats and a new sound system will be put in to make things better sounding and of course............louder.

Now dont get me wrong, I love lively music and I listen to alot of "ccm" and loud music at home but when it comes to praise and worship I believe in respecting God and while it can be loud and joyful it shouldnt get out of hand. The newest toy that was bought was inteligent lighting. Its the lights that you would see at a large concert or at a club. They spin and shoot all these coulors onto the stage. Impressive but it could not have been more inapropriate.

I just dont know anymore. I LOVE loud music but I am struggling to honestly praise God when the front of the Church is lit up like a sycadelic christmas tree.

Any thoughts?

Sean

i say nix on the lights..... flashing lights can cause some to go into sezures..... flashing lights is one of the triggers for such things..... might be fun, but then again, might cause some to start thrashing about in a GrandMal seizure..... not something that is desired at church.....

there was a show on TV, that had a bunch of flashing lights, and it caused some major problems with alot of viewers..... strobes can do the same thing....

mike

Meh, everything he says IS true...and in a large church it may very well be a concern. You wouldn't want people to have to stop going to church for medical reasons, after all.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

Using technology isn't inherently wrong (we use electricity and other forms of modern technology - i hope! lol). But you have to consider a few things like:

1. Is there more emphasis being placed on the "look" of the building than on the teaching, ministry and equipping the believers?

2. Is the technology being used in a manipulative way? That is, is it being designed to stir emotions or produce a desired emotional state?

3. Is the money being wisely spent?

4. Does God get the glory in it?

Those are just a few questions to ask about the issue.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Hey there guys and gals! :)

Any thoughts?

Sean

mike

Meh, everything he says IS true...and in a large church it may very well be a concern. You wouldn't want people to have to stop going to church for medical reasons, after all.

YOU must be joshing and all! Epilepsy? Now I've heard everything! That is definitely negative thinking at its finest...actually it is called cursing.