IGNORED

Are we commanded to cut our hair or not?

KeilanS

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

You either believe what the Bible says or you don't.

Whether or not something in the bible is cultural an opinion or universaly madated are all different things. You always play this card. Such is not the issue. I believe that Paul very specificaly said what he wrote and what he meant is where we disagree.

The Bible says it is a shame for a man to have long hair.

Yes, but what did Paul mean by the word 'nature'? God's nature? Secular nature? Cultural nature?

I see alot of 'if's' in there don't you? What did Paul say? Did he write that it is a shame or 'if it is a 'disgrace/shame'... Did he establish that it is a shame previous to his statement in v.6? Paul was speaking to his audience not giving a universal principle about hair length. Paul was addressing a cultural view

5And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head

So should I cut my hair? It is long right now and I have trouble thinking of how it will look good short. And that does make sense that it was a particular culture leading to the belief that you shouldn't cut your hair.

:):wacko::blink:

You are way to young and way to male to be bothered with fussing with hair!

:thumbsup:

Whack it off and let your naturally sweet charms speak for you!

:glare::help::20:

I hope you are still running!

:P

With all that hair, she just might use it to rope you all in!

:):24::24:

You Go Bro!

It's not like God handed Adam a pair of shears or something.

No, he gave us his Word and the ability to come up with the ability to follow it. With the invention of the scissors, trimming one's hair is quite simple. As for Adam, he lived before the law was given, so the example is irrelevant. The scriptures concerning hair length are given in the New Testament.

If it is against divine nature then whether or not such a law was given (which none ever was notice, not even as a command in the NT) then it would have always been shameful to God, His nature anyway. That which is not in accord with divine nature is relative always otherwise absolute which is a 'key' to our obidience to God when we ask such questions as 'which laws are we to obey today in our culture of America?' for example.

Guest Trent D.
Well, I found two verses that appear contradictory. I have heard that Leviticus 19 is referring to cutting your hair, how do we know that's what it means? Because if it does indeed mean "Do not cut your hair" then how can we possibly prevent a man from having long hair? And is shaving okay?

Leviticus 19:27 - Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.

Just a note, the first part of this verse in the NIV bible makes reference to hair specifically, but in the KJV it does not.

1 Corinthians 11:14 - Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

I'm somewhat confused, help please?

God Bless,

Keilan

I believe the laws were different from the Old Testament to the New. For example, it talks how we are to give sacrifices such as animals or anything that God wishes, but after Jesus came to die for our sins different Laws came into effect and were created. So listen to Corinthians which is in the NEW Testament not the OLD and look decent and cut your hair. haha

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

;):P:24:

;):P:24:

:)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  829
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/26/1943

No, he gave us his Word and the ability to come up with the ability to follow it. With the invention of the scissors, trimming one's hair is quite simple. As for Adam, he lived before the law was given, so the example is irrelevant. The scriptures concerning hair length are given in the New Testament.

If it is against divine nature then whether or not such a law was given (which none ever was notice, not even as a command in the NT) then it would have always been shameful to God, His nature anyway. That which is not in accord with divine nature is relative always otherwise absolute which is a 'key' to our obidience to God when we ask such questions as 'which laws are we to obey today in our culture of America?' for example.

13 Judge among yourselves. Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him? 15 But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given to her[a] for a covering. 16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

This whole section is couched in questions to which the corinthians were to judge amongst themselves as to the answer. So the question is, does nature teach anything like this? Actually, no it does not. In fact, nature teaches that males generally have longer hair than females. In most warm blooded mammals the male of the species has long bolder hair than the female. Even among the birds, the males have the more dazzling plumage. In birds the reason seems to be to attract the females.

So, if anyone wants to be contentious about the issue of hair lengths, the NT church, the body of Christ, has no customs of any sort that we need to pay attention to. Long or short it is up to each individual to decide between them and God.

Guest JJohnP
Well, I found two verses that appear contradictory. I have heard that Leviticus 19 is referring to cutting your hair, how do we know that's what it means? Because if it does indeed mean "Do not cut your hair" then how can we possibly prevent a man from having long hair? And is shaving okay?

Leviticus 19:27 - Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.

Just a note, the first part of this verse in the NIV bible makes reference to hair specifically, but in the KJV it does not.

1 Corinthians 11:14 - Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

I'm somewhat confused, help please?

God Bless,

Keilan

:P I believe that people get too hung up on the idea od long hair, coloured hair styled hair. The Nazerines kept their hair long to mark themselves as seperate for God. I think that if we are to bind our youth are any others to short then we are putting on an unneeded yoke on them and perhaps turn off "searchers" to something they may feel is another dead religion filled with uneccessary rules. After all, long hair cannot be seen as immoral or even self abusive. I myself do not consider myself under law but under grace. Jesus loves me as I am, For he is the great I am. ;)

13 Judge among yourselves. Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him? 15 But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given to her[a] for a covering. 16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

This whole section is couched in questions to which the corinthians were to judge amongst themselves as to the answer. So the question is, does nature teach anything like this? Actually, no it does not. In fact, nature teaches that males generally have longer hair than females. In most warm blooded mammals the male of the species has long bolder hair than the female. Even among the birds, the males have the more dazzling plumage. In birds the reason seems to be to attract the females.

So, if anyone wants to be contentious about the issue of hair lengths, the NT church, the body of Christ, has no customs of any sort that we need to pay attention to. Long or short it is up to each individual to decide between them and God.

;)

Nuff said.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

we are not.

AK recently explained this in great detail in another thread... maybe he'll post again here and explain it again. it had nothing to do with everyone in the world having to cut their hair (men) or wear it long (women) and everything to do with what was appropriate within THAT CULTURE, because in that culture the temple prostitutes shaved their heads and the gays wore their hair long.

I'm not going to challenge something that is explained written by a member here but keep in mind that the doctrine is inspired by the Holy Spirit for all of us.

To look at text and say "yeah that's for me" "no that part isn't because he's talking about something in the past..." is something I don't do.

Minus well chunk out the entire 1 Cor and say it wasn't meant for us but for those people that lived 2000 years ago.

Besides females look beautiful with long hair.

The Sinead O'Conner look is soooooooooooo 80's. ewwwww. ;)

i want to hand a female a gift and not a lollipop then say "here ya go Kojak...."

Edited by exrockstar