• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

What is the history of the SBC? Why did the Baptists split?

The answer was race and the confederacy. The

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

I had no idea racism was so rampant in the South. That is so sad.

Christians and churches should have nothing to do with these kinds of notions though. I don't care how 'nice' a person is - they need to be corrected. They may seem nice, but how nice is someone if they can't love their black brothers and sisters as their own?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I've lived in the south all my life and it is not rampant here, are they people who are racist here, yes there are and there are racist all over the rest of world.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

I too live in the south and it is not rampant here either.

It "may" have been true 20 years ago but not now.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  02/17/1961

Thanks for your response, hr, but I'd like you to go back and read post #5. Here is part of what you said:

The Klan was extremely racist in its second era, however, this racism was ordained and fueled by the Church; the baptist church in particular. The baptist preachers fueled the hate fire from the pulpit.

That's a lot different from saying:

...that the SBC has not taken strong enough action to root out racism within its ranks.

I don't see much difference in saying the Baptist church pushed the Klan and the Baptist church ordained and fueled the racism behind the Klan.

I understand the stories past down through the generations, but I'd still like to see some sort of documentation regarding your claims.

Maybe I'll have to make a trip down south one of these days and observe these institutions (that call themselves churches) you're talking about. I cannot comprehend someone calling himself a Christian and acting like that. But then again, maybe if I went there, I'd end up doing or saying something that would get me into all kinds of trouble :24: ! Would you bail me out if I landed in jail, hr? :24:

:21:

Just to let you know, hr is right in all of his posts. I live in georgia too, and i live near a town called blueridge. Up until about 10 or 15 years ago maybe they still had a sign on the city limits warning blacks to not get caught in town after sundown.

About 15 years ago down in Manchester Ga, there was a cafe that had been there for probably 100 years, they remodled and took down the colored entrance sign from the back door.

As a kid one of my buddies was the son of the imperial wizard of Stone mountain.

He has always been respected as a honorable man in the town as far as i know.

it took til 1972 i think before riches department store took down the signs designating coloreds drinking fountains and bathrooms.

Up until 5 years ago i lived in a 100% white county. It wasn't that they kept other races out, they just didn't come up here.

I think theres a couple counties around here that are still all white counties.

Most of the people that are racists won't come out and say they are. I can tell you for a fact that it still exists in my neck of the woods. I wouldn't expect it to be as bad in Florida however because a great deal of the population there are northern transplants. On the other hand, I would bet it is worse than Silentprayer thinks in Tennessee.

By the way, concerning your comments Eliyahuw, it wasn't that long ago when there was a big tadoo in Forsyth Country Georgia over blacks moving into that county. They didn't have any or want any, and there were outsiders trying to force change on them. I am not sure what happened. Even though I feel this type of racism is wrong, at the same time, I cannot understand why anyone would want to put themselves in such a position as to try to force themselves on people like that. I would personally rather live in an area where I was welcome, but that is just my opinion.

Well if they aren't saying it to me, I'm glad cause my friends and family know, I don't sit by quietly to racist jokes. I hope your wrong Butero, but I guess I'm afraid your not.

By the way, concerning your comments Eliyahuw, it wasn't that long ago when there was a big tadoo in Forsyth Country Georgia over blacks moving into that county. They didn't have any or want any, and there were outsiders trying to force change on them. I am not sure what happened. Even though I feel this type of racism is wrong, at the same time, I cannot understand why anyone would want to put themselves in such a position as to try to force themselves on people like that. I would personally rather live in an area where I was welcome, but that is just my opinion.

Yeah i remember it. Around that time was when oprah decided to come down and make a stink and sharpton. They ran both of them out of town. I said good riddance too not because of race but because they were nothing but troublemakers trying to stir up the racists and make everyone there out to be racist.

forsyth now is overgrown, collapsing in on itself in infrastructure because everyone bought up land around there after that and started building. its just another burb of atlanta now. and now Dahlonega is just as bad. they have stripped most of the beauty of the land up here to put in million dollar homes. Natives are leaving now.

What happens isn't race that causes the problem its what we term dang yankees coming in telling us how they don't like the way we do things and trying to force us to do it their way. I am moving further north from where I am and people in that area won't tolerate it.

Most of the people that are racists won't come out and say they are. I can tell you for a fact that it still exists in my neck of the woods. I wouldn't expect it to be as bad in Florida however because a great deal of the population there are northern transplants. On the other hand, I would bet it is worse than Silentprayer thinks in Tennessee.

Well if they aren't saying it to me, I'm glad cause my friends and family know, I don't sit by quietly to racist jokes. I hope your wrong Butero, but I guess I'm afraid your not.

it depends on what part of tennessee your in. i am moving up to blairsville and its right on the tenn/nc/ga border, and in those mountains its still like it was.

:UsA_smilie:

it depends on what part of tennessee your in. i am moving up to blairsville and its right on the tenn/nc/ga border, and in those mountains its still like it was.

I grew up and lived most of my life in Nashville. Now I live about 25 miles north of Nashville. Our church is huge, and there are blacks, asian, hispanic............................it doesn't matter, and I wouldn't go there if it did.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

adbot says you can get ku klux klan items on ebay.

:UsA_smilie:

hr, I dont know where you live but it sounds like you are in a time warp