• Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4027203a4560.html

Deliver your own baby... by caesarean

By JASON DOWLING and LOUISE HALL - Sun-Herald | Monday, 16 April 2007

SPECIAL DELIVERY: Thomas Greenway arrives with some special help from his mother, Naomi Chapman who took a hands on role in her own caeserian section operation.

Naomi Chapman has joined the ranks of women who helped deliver their own baby by caesarean.

Using a procedure known as "assisted caesarean", Ms Chapman's hands were guided into her womb by doctors so she could be the first to hold her new baby, Thomas, when he was born on April 2.

Ms Chapman, 38, of Perth, who for medical reasons was forced to have her three children by caesarean, chose an assisted caesarean at the city's King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women to be closer to her baby.

"In a caesarean they put a screen up in front of you, you can feel very disconnected and it can be very quick, and then the baby is handed straight over to a pediatrician and taken away . . . and for some people they don't even get the baby brought back to them and they can have a long separation," she said.

"There was no screen in front of me, I was participating, and while I could not see them actually doing the surgical cut, I was intricately involved. I could help participate, it was very emotional, it was just wonderful," she said.

Ms Chapman, a nurse for 10 years before becoming a midwife, said women did not need medical experience to have an assisted caesarean.

"You have to be very motivated and some people don't like the thought of touching their baby or being near their tummy, and that's fine," she said.

"Birthing is all about choice and women making informed choices. I believe it was safe. I feel fine."

But she said vaginal births should still have priority.

"But for those of us who don't necessarily have that opportunity this is a way of making an intervention experience a better experience," she said.

"It was just amazing. The two doctors there got his head in the right spot, but I was really the main person who touched our child first up."

Chris Gunnell, the Perth obstetrician who performed the procedure, said assisted caesareans were unlikely to become mainstream.

"A lot of women are actually grossed out about the idea, they don't like the concept of helping," Dr Gunnell said.

"I don't think it will become standard and I don't think it should. There are still a lot things to work on, things like infections."

The executive officer of the Australian College of Midwives, Barbara Vernon, said the technique had been practised occasionally in Australia for many years.

She said techniques such as a "natural caesarean" could help establish the mother-baby bond.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  864
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  04/22/1954

Ouch!! ;)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  588
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  03/06/1967

Having had 2 of mine delivered by c-section...I was more than happy to leave it to the Drs to do without my help ;)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706

Cymba and the others, didn't you want to be first to touch your baby though?

I find the idea of a c-section (or any operation for that matter) to be really scary - but I will admit that I've never actually been in that position. but I think that participating in it would tend to "take the sting out of it".

I think it is a really great idea and like the article said, much better for bonding.

Cymba and the others, didn't you want to be first to touch your baby though?

I find the idea of a c-section (or any operation for that matter) to be really scary - but I will admit that I've never actually been in that position. but I think that participating in it would tend to "take the sting out of it".

I think it is a really great idea and like the article said, much better for bonding.

The Idea never bothered me...the first c-section I was asleep...(emergency)

then I had one via forceps and one via suction...I was offered to touch the heads of those when they came out...umm no thanks...i'll wait until they are properly born if its all the same...those ones were plonked on my belly...even thought I was still having contractions (they dont stop the moment baby is born) and I was very uncomfortable as I was knackered...

on 2nd section I was awake and he was a premie...so I would rather have the medical staff see to him first and make sure he had a chance for life...

just because I had babies doesn't mean I was broody...I had them 'cos I was pregnant..I was pregnant because the pill/ implant and shots do the same for me as ivf does for other women...

thats right...I didn't want babies to begin with....but I had them...I wasn't exactly given a choice in the matter.....so no...I didn't care about being the first to hold any of them....why should I!

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  180
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  04/04/1970

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4027203a4560.html

Deliver your own baby... by caesarean

By JASON DOWLING and LOUISE HALL - Sun-Herald | Monday, 16 April 2007

SPECIAL DELIVERY: Thomas Greenway arrives with some special help from his mother, Naomi Chapman who took a hands on role in her own caeserian section operation.

Naomi Chapman has joined the ranks of women who helped deliver their own baby by caesarean.

Using a procedure known as "assisted caesarean", Ms Chapman's hands were guided into her womb by doctors so she could be the first to hold her new baby, Thomas, when he was born on April 2.

Ms Chapman, 38, of Perth, who for medical reasons was forced to have her three children by caesarean, chose an assisted caesarean at the city's King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women to be closer to her baby.

"In a caesarean they put a screen up in front of you, you can feel very disconnected and it can be very quick, and then the baby is handed straight over to a pediatrician and taken away . . . and for some people they don't even get the baby brought back to them and they can have a long separation," she said.

"There was no screen in front of me, I was participating, and while I could not see them actually doing the surgical cut, I was intricately involved. I could help participate, it was very emotional, it was just wonderful," she said.

Ms Chapman, a nurse for 10 years before becoming a midwife, said women did not need medical experience to have an assisted caesarean.

"You have to be very motivated and some people don't like the thought of touching their baby or being near their tummy, and that's fine," she said.

"Birthing is all about choice and women making informed choices. I believe it was safe. I feel fine."

But she said vaginal births should still have priority.

"But for those of us who don't necessarily have that opportunity this is a way of making an intervention experience a better experience," she said.

"It was just amazing. The two doctors there got his head in the right spot, but I was really the main person who touched our child first up."

Chris Gunnell, the Perth obstetrician who performed the procedure, said assisted caesareans were unlikely to become mainstream.

"A lot of women are actually grossed out about the idea, they don't like the concept of helping," Dr Gunnell said.

"I don't think it will become standard and I don't think it should. There are still a lot things to work on, things like infections."

The executive officer of the Australian College of Midwives, Barbara Vernon, said the technique had been practised occasionally in Australia for many years.

She said techniques such as a "natural caesarean" could help establish the mother-baby bond.

I think I am going to faint....

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706

Big babies, all of you! I think it is wonderful that you can participate in the birth of your child not only with natural childbirth but with C-section also. My sister had a C-section for her first baby (the first of five) and she said she "felt she had missed out on something" as the she was anethsetised before she even went into labour. And she didn't really feel that she had given birth.

I think this is a wonderful thing. Childbirth is a natural thing, and it isn't good to miss out on the first few minutes of your baby's life.

Childbirth is a natural thing,

spoken like a true man :(:P:(:24::24:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  970
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Big babies? I dont think so. I went through labor, twice. And pushed and pushed and pushed until I was exhausted and ready to give up. I still was not the first to touch my babies, as it was the baby catcher. Yes giving birth is an amazing experience. No matter how the child is born. Some do experience more pain, but the miracle of birth is still the same. A unique experience for each. But if women are getting worked up over missing the birthing experience, do they get worked up when they miss the other firsts of their babies over next 18 years? :(