What is the devil?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Satan is...

• a metaphor for man's sinfulness
    • a construct of an overactive imagination
    • a real entity
  2. 2. Demons...

• exist exactly as Scripture outlines
    • are a superstitious way of describing natural events (like dementia)
    • are a metaphor for temptation

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

A number of Christians have differing opinions about the origin and reality of Satan, and by extension, of demons. Some of these ideas include the thought that Satan is a metaphor for the evil nature of man, while others believe him to be a sort of Christian-style bogeyman (read: myth). Still others (myself included) believe Satan is exactly what the Bible says he is: a fallen angel that tempts man and is hell-bent (pardon the pun) on pulling God's children away from Him (steal, kill, destroy).

What is your understanding, and on what biblical basis do you draw this opinion?

I'm especially curious about those who believe Satan doesn't exist as an entity: how do you reconcile this belief with your faith and the Bible?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Satan is an actual entity, and demons are also. There is no reason that we should ever believe anything other than that.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Glad to see I'm not the only one who believes it is all real stuff.

I believe Satan is a real entity, and his demons are the temptors on this planet.

:thumbsup:

Satan is an actual entity, and demons are also. There is no reason that we should ever believe anything other than that.
:thumbsup:

Amen Dear Sister, Amen!

Glad to see I'm not the only one who believes it is all real stuff. I believe Satan is a real entity, and his demons are the tempters on this planet.
:huh:

Amen Dear Brother, Amen!

Dear Randy

Interesting poll on a deadly foe of mankind!

Next to sin, I think Satan and his soon to be "fire-bathing" brothers are humanities greatest threat.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:12

The Wonderful Big Book of Beginnings concisely sets up the battlefield.

Is God Good Or What.....

Dust Eating Old Snake

And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: Genesis 3:14

Head Stomping Yeshua

And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. Genesis 3:15

At Calvary Our God defeated both the power of our sins and the power of Satan!

Thank You LORD

Hallelujah!

The Prince of SHALOM

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8

Trespassers Will Be Toast

And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. Revelation 20:9-10

Thank you Brother Randy

Post Early

Post Often

Love, Joe

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

A number of Christians have differing opinions about the origin and reality of Satan, and by extension, of demons. Some of these ideas include the thought that Satan is a metaphor for the evil nature of man, while others believe him to be a sort of Christian-style bogeyman (read: myth). Still others (myself included) believe Satan is exactly what the Bible says he is: a fallen angel that tempts man and is hell-bent (pardon the pun) on pulling God's children away from Him (steal, kill, destroy).

What is your understanding, and on what biblical basis do you draw this opinion?

I'm especially curious about those who believe Satan doesn't exist as an entity: how do you reconcile this belief with your faith and the Bible?

I didn't realise that there were Believers that thought Satan and demons were anything other than real just as described in the Scriptures and encountered by many including Jesus, I have never met any...where are they hiding? :)

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

yes, Satan is very much real and dwells within our world. Satan is an entity also and is a fallen angel himself. Satan is a Christian's adversary along with the fallen demonic spirits that war against us. The church must be on guard and aware of Satan's tactics as he seeks out whom he may devour. The only desire that Satan has for believers and unbelievers is to steal from them the things they have good in their lives, to try to destroy their lives totally in any way he can do this, and to try and kill us prematurely whether that is physically or spiritually. The devil hates us all and wants us under his control. Satan is very real and should be taken that way as he is playing no games but playing for our souls to keep.

OC

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/13/1987

Satan was, is, and soon won't be.

When Christians believe that Satan doesn't exist is the day he wins.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist"

~From The Regular Suspects

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  211
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  09/14/2006

I don't think I could put it better than what everyone else has said. :whistling:

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Satan and the demons are real entities. If they are metaphorical, then we must re-examine how we look at evil in this world. We must wonder, who or what exactly tempted Adam and Eve in the Garden? If we lose this basis, then evil is no longer something that was brought on by choice, but instead was created by God...