• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Theres a big difference between hiring and helping. Don't break the law by hiring that illegal immigrant, but definatly give them a meal and some clothes, and direct them to a food bank or homeless shelter or some organization that can help them.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

WOW...That was bizarre. LOL

The original post was as follows:

I know that the Bible instructs us to obey the laws of our land, but is it appropriate for a Christian to hire illegal aliens? Many of these people come from poverty-stricken backgrounds, and need the money to support their families, so I wonder:

How should we co-incide compassion with legalism? Is it Scripturally unsound for a Christian to hire these people?

I'm not sure about scriptural unsound but wouldn't Jesus want us to obey the law? :P

Ya, but not all laws are just. What about the prayer in school issue? I'm just looking for outside perspectives.

I'm sorry but I'm just a little more then upset that illegals can get things that we can't ...like health care? I can't afford it, but my tax dollars go to pay for health care for illegls. That is not fair. We made it very attractive for them to continue to break the law come in here illegally.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Yup...I've said it before and I'll say it again: they need to make it more attractive for them to become legal rather than illegal immigrants. Someone replied to that with the idea that getting shot at a border crossing seems pretty unattractive, but these people still think it's more attractive to do it legally. The reality of it is, though, that in the circumstances most of these people come from that's not exactly unusual: They're putting their lives on the line whether they cross illegally or not. What I think they need is education and an availability of resources to help them know that there are other ways to do it besides the illegal way. Otherwise...this'll just keep happening, in greater and greater numbers.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  580
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Hey, everyone;

I really appreciate all of the responses. I am on the same wavelength as you guys, and I'm glad I have some back-up.

The reason I asked was because I was recently chartting with a co-worker about this issue, and he brought to mention that "Christians are supposed to be compasionate."

I told him that he was right, but that we are also supposed to obey the law, and that when my mother immigrated here from Rhodesia (or Zimbabwe--same thing), she had to go through legal hoops, so these people should have to as well.

In no way do I think that Christ's compassion was indicative of social anarchy, which is what this whole movement is becoming, IMO.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

"Christians are supposed to be compasionate."

Here is an article by Richard Land, head of the Ethics committee for Southern Baptists. I don't agree with everything he says...but at the same time I have no biblical disagreement with Him on the issue...just political. Biblically, I think we should all approach the issue via this viewpoint:

The immigration crisis in the United States is a huge issue, impacting tens of millions of people in many different ways. How do we approach this problem? First, we have to identify

Guest LadyC
I'm sorry but I'm just a little more then upset that illegals can get things that we can't ...like health care? I can't afford it, but my tax dollars go to pay for health care for illegls. That is not fair. We made it very attractive for them to continue to break the law come in here illegally.

uh, let's not forget the credit cards for illegals without a social security number etc.

and let's not forget the reduced college tuition that isn't available to citizens.

I live in a area of the country that is affected by illegal immigration. I'm not saying that others are not.

With that said, I think the laws need to be changed to allow guest workers, and a path to citizenship if that's what a person wants. I'm not sure what those already here illegally should do. I don't have all the answers for that. I will say this however:

I have a very big issue with having to read signs in a foreign language in my own country. When I was in the military it was expected that you would deal with the language in the country where you were stationed. For me, it was Germany. So, I learned German and some history (which was actually quite interesting.) I did not expect everyone to speak English, although many times they did (better English than mine in many cases.) The first couple of months was rough, but I got by, and I had a great time while I was there.

Here in Phoenix once you are south of the downtown area, all the billboards are in Spanish. Sorry, but this is the USA and we speak English here.

I have to agree with the Aussies: If you don't want to learn the language and respect the way we do things in our country, feel free to leave! I really wish American politicians had the backbone to say that and mean it! The immigration issue has been ignored for years, and now its finally getting some attention. That is good to see.

As for christian compasion, I have to agree with some others here. I had a job, but couldn't afford health insurance. I made too much to qualify for "help" for medical or food stamps. 3 days after I "crash landed" at the shelter, I had medical and all the rest and could finally get a few problems fixed. What kind of society do we have when you are working and can't get basic health care? Things have improved since then, and am again employed -- but I had some really great health care when I was homeless. What's up with that? :thumbsup:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  286
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Being smack in the middle of the contenental US, I don't know much about how illegal immigration effects us. How exactly does it cost us "millions of dollars" every year? :)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  286
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

uh, let's not forget the credit cards for illegals without a social security number etc.

and let's not forget the reduced college tuition that isn't available to citizens.

I don't understand- how do you get those things without a social security #? I see how to get it if someone steals a SS number, but otherwise?

I don't understand- how do you get those things without a social security #? I see how to get it if someone steals a SS number, but otherwise?

There are banks here (Bank of America) that are marketing credit cards to anyone without the need for a SS number. They do this because all you really need is a Tax ID from the IRS if you are not a citizen. They are marketing it heavily to the latino community here and in other areas. Of course, there are higher interest and fees with these cards. How nice of them to offer to "serve the community" with high interest/fees.