IGNORED

Why is the 'Church of Christ' sometimes called a cult?

graymousey

I have often heard other Christian groups refer to the 'Church of Christ' as a cult. I am wondering why, for I haven't found any valid reason so far. (I am not talking about the 'United Church of Christ' which is a completely different denomination).
:emot-highfive:

These Are Beloved Brethren Saved By The Blood Of The Lamb Of God Shed For The Remission Of Sin.

Some Like An Argument - Some Like A V-8. :emot-highfive:

All Are The Beloved of The LORD. :th_praying:

The LORD Our Savior

For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
1 Corinthians 2:2

The LORD Our Confession

Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 10:32-33

The LORD Our Power

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
John 15:4

The LORD Our Strength

When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
Isaiah 43:2

I thrust the same Lord Jesus Christ for the salvation of my dear brothers and sisters who fellowship within the Church of Christ as I trust for my own salvation.

I trust the same Holy Spirit that teaches me to teach my dear brothers and sisters who fellowship within the Church of Christ.

He will never leave me nor forsake me!

He will never leave them nor forsake them.

I do however believe towels are optional but The Blood Is Life and Life Eternal.

"Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us."

Hebrews 9:12

Glory! Glory! Glory!

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:24-25

Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them.

Numbers 6:24-27

Come Quickly Lord Jesus, Come Quickly!

Love, Joe

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I get weary of continually fighting over our doctrinal differences. The Church of Christ is not a cult, period.

I disagree with them on some doctrinal issues, if they want to believe that only Church of Christ go to heaven, that is fine by me, we can talk about that in heaven together. But I disagree with probably the majority of the people on this board concerning all of the sacraments, including baptism, that does not make my congregation a cult, nor does it make those I disagree with a cult. Christian's can disagree about these sort of things, as long as we base our disagreements on faith and on scripture we are just going to have to live with them, and we are going to have to answer for how we treated our brothers and sisters when we debate about doctrine, when we get to heaven.

I guess I am leery of this as the media jumped all over that sad case in Tennessee as if that happened because they were some sort of strange cult. Almost with glee they pointed out the CoC being strictly bible based and cult like, which they are not, but anyway I usually defended them as a group.

I get weary of continually fighting over our doctrinal differences. The Church of Christ is not a cult, period.
:emot-highfive:

Because He First Loved Us

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
1 John 4:7

Because He First Loved Us

No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
1 John 4:12

Time Is Short

And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
Luke 21:28

Praying

Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.
Luke 10:2

Rejoicing

He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.
Psalms 126:6

Shouting Hallelujah!

Love, Joe

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I don't believe it is a cult. It is a denomination that has differing interpretations of the Word of God. But to be called a cult, it would have to be teaching a doctrine that leads away from who Jesus is. While I don't believe that they are correct in teaching that baptism is a part of salvation, it does not point one away from Jesus Christ as the Saviour.

I can' live with the fact they don't believe in musical insterments I can't abide that they teach that baptism is part of salvation. Jesus alone saves and not being baptised. I think it boarders on a cult. Maybe I"m not hearing the whole story of the baptism thing.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

For one the Baptist do not say that you have to be a Baptist to be saved from damnation. The Baptist do not say that salvation comes from the church or belonging to the Baptist Church. NOT SO WITH COC OR LDS.

I am talking as slow as I can. Do you understand?

IHS

JB

Acts 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

What church did he add them to?

Each denomination has a different or varying doctrine or they would not be different denominations. Of all the Churches that were written about in the bible, which denomination were they? All the churches taught and believed the same things the same way. They did not vary like denominations today. If you were from the church at Ephesus you would get the same teaching and understanding if you went to Corinth, or Galatia, etc.

2 Corinthians 2:14 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.

Today the savour of Christ's knowledge is not the same in every place.

The saved are added to Christ's church.

Did any of the congregations addressed by Paul say that salvation was restricted to their particular group? Why would a Christ lead church say that anyone outside of their denomination is going to hell? Are all members of every denomination except for COC going to hell? Do we have faults teachers today?

Did the eunuch Philip baptized go to hell? Was the eunuch a member of the COC?

Like I said everyone has a deferent definition of what a cult is, adding or changing the requirement of salvation is MY criteria.

Amen cardcaptor!

IHS

JB

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

For one the Baptist do not say that you have to be a Baptist to be saved from damnation. The Baptist do not say that salvation comes from the church or belonging to the Baptist Church. NOT SO WITH COC OR LDS.

I am talking as slow as I can. Do you understand?

IHS

JB

Acts 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

What church did he add them to?

Each denomination has a different or varying doctrine or they would not be different denominations. Of all the Churches that were written about in the bible, which denomination were they? All the churches taught and believed the same things the same way. They did not vary like denominations today. If you were from the church at Ephesus you would get the same teaching and understanding if you went to Corinth, or Galatia, etc.

2 Corinthians 2:14 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.

Today the savour of Christ's knowledge is not the same in every place.

Did any of the congregations addressed by Paul say that salvation was restricted to their particular group? Why would a Christ lead church say that anyone outside of their denomination is going to hell? Are all members of every denomination except for COC going to hell? Do we have faults teachers today?

Like I said everyone has a deferent definition of what a cult is, adding or changing the requirement of salvation is MY criteria.

Amen cardcaptor!

IHS

JB

I know a woman who goes to the Seventh Day Adventist Chruch. If you listen to her she will tell you that there are Christians in all chruchs but ....unless you worship on Saturday. well your in trouble.

Amen cardcaptor!

IHS

JB

In John the 4th chapter, Christ ran across a Samaritan woman at a well. Now, for those who don't know, the Samaritans where part Jewish and even had a copy of the Old Testament. They also worshiped God and even this woman know about Christ. They believed and worshiped God, yet it was unlawful for the Jews to associate with them. Here is part of the account -

John 4:20-25 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.

Why did not Christ accept her worship? They have the Old Testament, they worshiped God, they knew of the coming Christ, but Jesus still told her she was wrong.

The point being is that it takes more than just a faith and belief in God and Christ. Christ went on to say that God is looking for those to worship him in spirit and in truth. That goes beyond having faith. Truth never varies nor contradict. The Samaritans worship and the Jews worship varied and contradicted each other, but Christ knows that only the Jews had it right.

I have heard more times than I can remember people stating that it doesn't matter what you believe, as long as you believe. If that were true then that would have been Christ response to this woman.

I am not a judge of anybody. I just know what the scriptures say and know that they are written for a purpose. The time is now that God seeks for people to worship him in spirit and in truth.

I sure hope you're not insinuating that John 4:20 sets up the CoC as the whole body of Christ.

I am real glad to read that you believe as I do in 2 Tim 3:16 to rebuke doctrine.

Act 16:30

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I would sure be bored and dry spiritually if the only musical instrument in the church was a pitchpipe! Where's the life? Where is the response to the command to worship with instruments and shouts of praise and dancing before the Lord?

I would sure be bored and dry spiritually if the only musical instrument in the church was a pitchpipe! Where's the life? Where is the response to the command to worship with instruments and shouts of praise and dancing before the Lord?

I agree with you that it would be boring :thumbsup:

But many things can become a stumbling blocks. Because music does move people, there is a chance that for some that they could be moved by the music and not by the Holy Ghost. We have a very good worship group at our church and sometimes I have to remind myself it is about worshiping God and not about the sounds I am hearing.

If the person seated next to me only had my voice to hear the church would be empty. :)

JB

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Canadasgenius wrote:

"we cannot substitute the word "denomination" for the word "Church". There is one Church (the body of believers, wherever they are), and this has nothing to do with denomination."

That is very true. You said it well.

Canadasgenius, you must be the child of God, are you not? 'Cause only His children are geniuses.