• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1980

:thumbsup: I'm confused if I go to court and have to swear by the Book ....but I remember what Jesus said

Matthew 5:33-37 (New International Version)

Oaths

33"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' 34But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; 35or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

So what to do? Paul also taked about listening to our authorities???????????????????????????

all that is left is to stand 4 what i believe in

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Most jurisdictions allow one to say they 'affirm' they will tell the truth......

However, one fellow refused saying that the Bible says 'Let God be true and EVERY man a liar.' He said simply that he was an inveterate liar, and since the Bible tells us we are all liars, he could not in conscience promise that ANYTHING he said would be true!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

:thumbsup: I'm confused if I go to court and have to swear by the Book ....but I remember what Jesus said

Oaths

33"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord.' 34But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; 35or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. 36And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. 37Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

So what to do? Paul also taked about listening to our authorities???????????????????????????

Now, think that one through a bit??? You're putting your hand on the Bible (if you choose to, not manditory) and swearing to TELL THE TRUTH ! Unless it's your intention NOT to tell the whole truth....Why wouldn't you want to follow God's Law by lying or telling an untruth???? The swearing you reference is referring to several other common laws that people break everyday. This too offends God! I'm believing the the "swearing" that God abhors is when it deals with "lying" or judging against someone or something ! Or even using obscene language against another!

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  09/17/1945

Its not so much what you believe, as what is the Holy Spirit saying. "The letter kills, but the Spirit gives life 2Cor.3:6. Look to your spirit in this matter, do you have a sense of life or death. If you look to what you believe, you could be mistaken. This is where growth is needed, in Hebrews 5:13-14; we are told about "milk" and "strong meat". Strong meat is for those who have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. Knowing what to do in these situations comes from discerning by the Spirit whether an action is right or wrong (good and evil) by the Lord, and not by our particular belief of a scripture. But certainly, we must have the Word as our guide, for it is a lamp to our feet and a light to our path. In prayer, turn to your spirit and and say, "I choose Your will in this", and trust God for the outcome. Let's not go to the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil". Remember, you have the knowledge of good and evil on the same tree, and they both lead to death. Go to the Tree of Life, Christ.

Oaths

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,072
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  02/27/1948

When I went to court a few years ago I chose to affirm on the basis that my yes would be yes and my no no. It wasn't a problem. My testimony was accepted.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  03/20/1980

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP

ITS DEF A PRAYING MATTER ALSO

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

I have no problem "swearing to tell the truth." Some denominations take that teaching to a wild extreme not intended by Jesus. My goodness, we need to understand the whole counsel of the Word of G-d, not just an isolated verse or two.

When God made his promise to Abraham, since there was no one greater for him to swear by, he swore by himself. Heb. 6:13

:thumbsup: If it's good enough for the Lord, it's good enough for me.

Most jurisdictions allow one to say they 'affirm' they will tell the truth......

However, one fellow refused saying that the Bible says 'Let God be true and EVERY man a liar.' He said simply that he was an inveterate liar, and since the Bible tells us we are all liars, he could not in conscience promise that ANYTHING he said would be true!

:thumbsup::cool::P

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

Yup. When administering an oath, you can ask either ask the person which they are more comfortable, or you can simply ask whether they "swear or affirm" ... also, putting one's hand on the Bible is almost never done. (I'm a licensed notary, and former court reporter.)

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

I have no problem "swearing to tell the truth." Some denominations take that teaching to a wild extreme not intended by Jesus. My goodness, we need to understand the whole counsel of the Word of G-d, not just an isolated verse or two.

When God made his promise to Abraham, since there was no one greater for him to swear by, he swore by himself. Heb. 6:13

:) If it's good enough for the Lord, it's good enough for me.

:thumbsup:

If anyone should be proud to declare the truth, it should be believers.