Natt

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  470
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

Should we obey the law of the country or obey God. For example in China they are only allowed one child. If someone gets pregnant with a second child I've heard they are forced to have an abortion. So should they defy government and run from authorities or submit to authorities(which is also commanded by God)?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  161
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/13/1934

Should we obey the law of the country or obey God. For example in China they are only allowed one child. If someone gets pregnant with a second child I've heard they are forced to have an abortion. So should they defy government and run from authorities or submit to authorities(which is also commanded by God)?

In the 22 chapter of Matthew, Jesus was essentially asked the same question. His answer, found in the 21st verse of the 22nd Chapter is a classic.

Render therefor unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things that are God's

I really can't see how we can improve on what Jesus said. Obviously, as a Christian, our first and foremost allegience is to God. This means that anything that is God's which might be in conflict with the government, is offered to God in defiance of the state. An example: We are told in His Word not to forsake the assembling of ourselves togther (Hebrews). Yet many a government has prohibited the gatherings of Christians in an attempt to stamp out Christianity in their country. China and the Soviet Union are but two countries that spring to mind.

So, we must render unto Caesar the things of Caesar and unto God the things of God. When a conflict arises, God always wins the coin toss.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178

Romans 13

1 Everyone must submit to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except from God, and those that exist are instituted by God. 2 So then, the one who resists the authority is opposing God's command, and those who oppose it will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do good and you will have its approval. 4 For government is God's servant to you for good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, because it does not carry the sword for no reason. For government is God's servant, an avenger that brings wrath on the one who does wrong. 5 Therefore, you must submit, not only because of wrath, but also because of your conscience. 6 And for this reason you pay taxes, since the authorities are God's public servants, continually attending to these tasks.

7 Pay your obligations to everyone: taxes to those you owe taxes, tolls to those you owe tolls, respect to those you owe respect, and honor to those you owe honor. 8 Do not owe anyone anything, except to love one another, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9 The commandments: You shall not commit adultery, you shall not murder, you shall not steal, you shall not covet, and if there is any other commandment--all are summed up by this: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor. Love, therefore, is the fulfillment of the law.

11 Besides this, knowing the time, it is already the hour for you to wake up from sleep, for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. 12 The night is nearly over, and the daylight is near, so let us discard the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. 13 Let us walk with decency, as in the daylight: not in carousing and drunkenness; not in sexual impurity and promiscuity; not in quarreling and jealousy. 14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no plans to satisfy the fleshly desires.

Quick edit to keep from getting pummeled.

If the government tells you to do THIS or face punishment ant the THIS is against Gods law you take the punishment and you are still within the Scriptures if you are non violent.

Edited by JB Horn

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  613
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  04/02/1959

God without question!!!!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Both unless the government is breaking Gods law. :thumbsup:

Shalom,

Yup, what she said! (I think she's a she!)

We are to obey the laws of the land UNLESS they break G-d's law.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  470
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Last Sunday our pastor said that one day he could see preaching christianity being illegal. We will not be able to legally share our faith, Pastors will be told what they cannot preach about in church (e.g. homosexuality) or risk arrest. It seems to be happening all over the world. We've been told that to continue in Christianity we need to be strong but he did not think those who submit to government pressure as lost.

I agree with God needs to be obeyed.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178

Last Sunday our pastor said that one day he could see preaching christianity being illegal. We will not be able to legally share our faith, Pastors will be told what they cannot preach about in church (e.g. homosexuality) or risk arrest. It seems to be happening all over the world. We've been told that to continue in Christianity we need to be strong but he did not think those who submit to government pressure as lost.

I agree with God needs to be obeyed.

You Pastor is correct but look at the home churches in China where they hide their one bible under the floorboards in fear of possible imprisonment or death. A persecuted church is the strongest church you will ever see. You want to see strong christians look at Northern Africa or Iraq and you'll see Christians that won't take the mark of the beast, they will die first. The Church world wide will get smaller but it will get stronger because those that remain will be solid strong followers.

My 2 cents

JB

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/13/1987

Both unless the government is breaking Gods law. :o

I agree!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Certainly God is our number one allegience. Having said that, we should be very sure that when we do disobey government with the excuse that we are doing so to obey God, that there really is a commandment from God that supercedes a government law. God places a very high premium on our being subject to the governments. So if we are going to disobey them, we had better be sure we are not spiritualizing our desire to do what we want

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  23
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I thought the bible actually did state somewhere that we are to obey the laws of man unless they conflict with God's laws, but I couldn't find that scripture, but I did find one that may be fitting.

Psalms 93:4"The Lord rules supreme in heaven, greater than the roar of the ocean, more powerful than the waves of the sea. 5 Your laws are eternal, Lord, and your Temple is holy indeed, for ever and ever"

and since supreme means "highest in rank or authority; paramount; sovereign; chief." (dictionary.com) I would think that would mean that we always follow God's laws and rules, even if they conflict with man made laws.

Edited by Babylove