Natt

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  470
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

What is the difference between the quenching and grieving the Holy Spirit?

ok noone knows

:wub:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Hello Natt,

There is a difference in quenching the Holy Spirit and grieving the Holy Spirit. You have asked a very good question I believe.

First off quenching the Holy Spirit is to resist what the Spirit is leading and prompting you to do. Say for example if the Lord lays someone on your heart and you can't get them out of your head and you feel like something is wrong the Lord is prompting you to pray and intercede for that person but you will not take the time to pray for them when you were being lead of the Holy Spirit to do so then your resistance to what God wanted to do through you was quenched or cut off and the Holy Spirit was unable to use you as an intercessor for another. Again for another example the Lord may lay it upon you heart to buy your neighbors across the street a sack of groceries as they are going through a hard time but instead of doing what the Holy Spirit is put in your heart to do you resist and ignore it thus once again you quenched or cut the Spirit off from working through you and being a blessing to another. There is one scripture passage that I know of off hand that speaks about quenching the Spirit and it is found in

1 Thessalonians 5:15-22--"See that none render evil for evil unto any man but ever follow that which is good both among yourselves, and to all men. Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit Despise not prophesying. Prove all things hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil."

It is when we do not follow that which is right and good that we quench the Spirit as we stop God from working in and through our lives that is quenching the Spirit.

Second concerning grieving the Holy Spirit is much different than quenching the Spirit because it is our inward sin that grieves the Holy Spirit in our lives as the Holy Spirit literally cries and grieves because if the sin is left in our hearts and not dealt with it can overtake our lives thus the Holy Spirit will eventually not be seen in our lives at all. I have experienced this grieving of the Holy Spirit within my own life as I in my past have gone through some pretty rough stuff and it left me full of hate and bitterness and there came a point that I had to let the hate and bitterness go as it was being made obvious to me by the things I would say at time as it kind of manifested itself in my speech and I had to let it go because the Spirit of God couldn't no longer work in me if I didn't let it go I couldn't grow further in the Lord and I had to forgive. And by doing so the Holy Spirit was still able to continually work in me and be seen in my life as a result when the sin left. Our sins can and will grieve Him away from our lives to where we no longer feel His ever abiding presence with us. There is only one passage of scripture that I can think of off hand that speaks about grieving the Spirit and it is found in

Ephesians 4:29-32--"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth but that which is good to the use of edifying that it may minister grace unto the hearers. And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamour and evil speaking be put away from you with all malice. And be ye kind one to another tenderhearted forgiving one another even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."

When these things get down in our spirit they will come out of our mouths and we must be careful what we let stay within our spirit as it will grieve the Holy Spirit in our lives and instead of us being kind with our speech and having it seasoned with salt it will have no grace but if we deal with the sins of bitterness anger and confess them then the things that come out of our mouths can give grace unto others who are in need of compassion and love of God.

Anyways I hope I have helped to show the difference between the two.

blessings in your studies

OC

Hello Natt,

There is a difference in quenching the Holy Spirit and grieving the Holy Spirit. You have asked a very good question I believe.

First off quenching the Holy Spirit is to resist what the Spirit is leading and prompting you to do. Say for example if the Lord lays someone on your heart and you can't get them out of your head and you feel like something is wrong the Lord is prompting you to pray and intercede for that person but you will not take the time to pray for them when you were being lead of the Holy Spirit to do so then your resistance to what God wanted to do through you was quenched or cut off and the Holy Spirit was unable to use you as an intercessor for another. Again for another example the Lord may lay it upon you heart to buy your neighbors across the street a sack of groceries as they are going through a hard time but instead of doing what the Holy Spirit is put in your heart to do you resist and ignore it thus once again you quenched or cut the Spirit off from working through you and being a blessing to another. There is one scripture passage that I know of off hand that speaks about quenching the Spirit and it is found in

1 Thessalonians 5:15-22--"See that none render evil for evil unto any man but ever follow that which is good both among yourselves, and to all men. Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit Despise not prophesying. Prove all things hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil."

It is when we do not follow that which is right and good that we quench the Spirit as we stop God from working in and through our lives that is quenching the Spirit.

Second concerning grieving the Holy Spirit is much different than quenching the Spirit because it is our inward sin that grieves the Holy Spirit in our lives as the Holy Spirit literally cries and grieves because if the sin is left in our hearts and not dealt with it can overtake our lives thus the Holy Spirit will eventually not be seen in our lives at all. I have experienced this grieving of the Holy Spirit within my own life as I in my past have gone through some pretty rough stuff and it left me full of hate and bitterness and there came a point that I had to let the hate and bitterness go as it was being made obvious to me by the things I would say at time as it kind of manifested itself in my speech and I had to let it go because the Spirit of God couldn't no longer work in me if I didn't let it go I couldn't grow further in the Lord and I had to forgive. And by doing so the Holy Spirit was still able to continually work in me and be seen in my life as a result when the sin left. Our sins can and will grieve Him away from our lives to where we no longer feel His ever abiding presence with us. There is only one passage of scripture that I can think of off hand that speaks about grieving the Spirit and it is found in

Ephesians 4:29-32--"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth but that which is good to the use of edifying that it may minister grace unto the hearers. And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamour and evil speaking be put away from you with all malice. And be ye kind one to another tenderhearted forgiving one another even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."

When these things get down in our spirit they will come out of our mouths and we must be careful what we let stay within our spirit as it will grieve the Holy Spirit in our lives and instead of us being kind with our speech and having it seasoned with salt it will have no grace but if we deal with the sins of bitterness anger and confess them then the things that come out of our mouths can give grace unto others who are in need of compassion and love of God.

Anyways I hope I have helped to show the difference between the two.

blessings in your studies

OC

Thanks OC

So if quenching(thirsting or reducing) the HS is not obeying what the spirit is leading us to do, to be being filled with the spirit it would be obeying the HS.

Any thoughts on this?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

So if quenching(thirsting or reducing) the HS is not obeying what the spirit is leading us to do, to be being filled with the spirit it would be obeying the HS.

Any thoughts on this?

The word quenching means to suppress or to put out to distinguish. In the Greek it means to extinguish or go out. Quenching the Holy Spirit has nothing to do with "thirsting" as that is a whole different topic and a good one at that.

Yes you are correct about obeying the Holy Spirit as we want the life of God within us to be brought to the fore front so that Christ in us can touch others lives. It is like the parable of how no man lights a candle and then hides it under a bushel but instead they put it out there where the light can be seen by all. When we don't allow the Lord to have place in our lives we suppress the life of God in us and thus we distinguish the light with in and thus it becomes hid to others in whom we may have been used to comfort and what not.

Being filled with the Spirit is to be full of the life of God we have to stay in the word and in prayer and keep our faith built up so that Christ can live in and through our lives. Running on half empty we are less effective than what we should be for the Lord.

But I think you are getting it and these are good questions and thoughts that you have.

blessings

OC