hupo

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

God created man in His own image. Says so in scripture....

Gen 1:26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Yet it also says.....

Gen 2:7 then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature.

So God created man, from dust, and without life, until He breathed life into Him

Something dead created from dust.......... that is God's image ? :emot-crying:

How would you explain this contradiction? ;)

Like, like the others, am confused about what you're trying to convey. I don't see a contradiction. Do you believe that God's image in us is something physical? :th_praying:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  07/12/1944

I was amazed at the emotionally loaded responses I got and in such a short time too.

First I must thank you for your posts. They don't show too much about who God really is but it sure puts a mirror for us to look into and see ourselves.

I was actualy surprised to find myself learning so much from these responses and for that I thank you all.

Yet a question.....Don't you think God can look after Himself?

Do you really believe I see God as bunch of dust, and that God may be insulted?

I'll start with the one poster that really got what's behind this question

"One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple." Psalms 27:4

Something dead created from dust.......... that is God's image ? :noidea:

How would you explain this contradiction? :wub:

:24:

Dear Brother, I have just the greatest fun reading replies to your posts!

I also gather amazing insights your questions stir up!

So......

You Go Bro!

Love, You Brother Joe

Now , in case you haven't got the "spirit" behind my question, I'll just go post after post.

I'm not sure I follow your logic.

If I draw a picture of my image, it doesn't make me ink and paper. If I sculp my image from clay, it doesn't make me dirt.

Regardless, the image of God goes far beyond the physical. It includes the spiritual. God has three parts so we have three parts. God is Father, Son and Spirit. We are soul, flesh and spirit. We were made in His image. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure that God isn't an overweight, 47 year old ornery old guy like me. ;)

I love it Wayne :wub:

It's always great to see things in a vivid way. Much better than words

Thanks Bro

It's only a contradiction to you. If I were you I would wonder why...

God doesn't contradict Himself...

I do wonder why I stirred up a hornets nest..... now that I have.

and by the way, are you sure it's only a contradiction to me?

It very obviously isn't a contradiction to God. We agree on that. Yet is this question something of a threat to you?

Ask yourself, could be interesting

I would agree with Wayne's answer. There is no contradiction. The Bible says we're created in His image - not that we are His clones.

Absolutly rtwo,

How do you feel about the question? What is it doing to you?

It's not the initial reason for my asking but I find it interesting

Blessings

Hi brother,

lets put it like this...we dont understand everything...actually when comes to to GOD we understand NOTHING unless....UNLESS HE MERCIFULLY and GRACIOUSLY REVEALS HIMSELF and HIS WORD TO US.....

I remember that BEFORE being born again I tried to read The Bible and I understood .....NOTHING..it was a a sealed book to me then,actually scary in some parts and even boreing in other...I mean I remember feeling antagonistic to this God of the Bible...little wonder,I was His enemy...BUT when CHRIST came to rescue me saving me and giving me HIS GIFT of HIMSELF and THE SPIRIT...WOW,THE BOOK BECAME ALIVE,I started to understand and actually I remember that I had to implore God to stop the rivers of revelation because it was so much so fast....35 years afterwards I approach the Book with awe and I still pray that He would reveal in my inner man HIS WORD and I know a bit more HIM and of HIM and HIS WORD but.....I also know that I know so little and I have to rely more and more on His grace to go on....

I said this because THERE ARE NO CONTRADICTIONS in THE BIBLE...it is PERFECT,just like THE AUTHOR....but for sure there are contradictions in us....at least in me...so when I find a part, a passage I dont understand I ask the Lord to make me understand and wait until HE DOES IT...and that puts me at peace because I know that THE FATHER IS GOOD and has HIS WAYS and TIMES to accomplish His will and most of the time in ways totally different from mine...THANK GOD FOR THAT!!! :):thumbsup:

You see...our God is ONE and THREE.....WOW that in itself is something that we accept by faith and will be understood in eternity..because it will be revealed...

We just cannot put God in a box......HE IS OUTSIDE THE REALM of SPACE and TIME and HE HAS NO LIMITS....

The Wonder is that HE CAME TO US as a MAN,100% MAN and 100% GOD...in the WONDERFUL PERSON of JESUS....

HE COMES TO US because there would be NO WAY that we could EVER go to HIM,NEVER....

Being inquisitive is good,asking is good,seeking is good but in a spirit of humility and brokness....waiting on HIM brother.....because HE LOVES US and in HIS TIME we will know everything that He will see fit for us to know...HE IS THE LORD.

SHALOM and blessings to you and your family

Shalom jc49, you sure make this forum a lively place :laugh:

Thanks for your response

We don't understand God. I agree with you. One of the reasons for my question, by the way.

You say the Bible has no contradictions and you know what. When looking through faith I tend to agree with you, yet, alas, i'm a fallable human being (made of dust ;) ) who has a whole bunch of logic given to him by God himself. I can't switch it off even if I wanted to. So I ask questions.

What I know by faith doesn't sit straight with logic. My logic says there are contradictions and in my quest to understand God, I ask questions. This is one of them.

We cannot put God in a box, although God knows how we try and do that. We see this in "religion" or being legalistic about God's way.

God is Timeless. God is omnipresent. God is all. God IS.

God also told me it was ok to ask questions ;)

I'm sorry if my question came over as lacking in humility.

Rest assured it comes from the very confidence I have in God being SO BIG that He can even tolerate my questions :laugh:

Thanks Bro. Loved your response

So...are you asking if God is dirt?!?

Now that's just silly.

He made man after his own image (I agree with Wayne though, we don't all physicially resemble Christ).

He created man out of the Earth...which is amazing, it just goes to show how miraculous God is...he created you out of dust. I don't think the story is told so we will assume that God decided that dirt would be the best way to portray his image... :huh:

Question is silly depending on the reason for asking it.

Of course God is not dirt!! But there is room for a question when you compare man's creation by God in two seemingly different ways in two seperate chapters.

Don't you think?

Blessings :th_praying:

This passage speaks to me of how much of us is merely dust of the earth (and therefore how humble we should be about what we are) and how much of us is of the divine origin of the Creator of the Universe (and therefore how privileged we are as the creation of so mighty and holy and being and how honored we should be to be the repositor of His very Spirit).

Humble and proud.

Thanks LAW,

Your response shows me how far I actually am from being a witness to God's glory.

Being a witness is what I see in your reponse.... thanks. I'm learning by the moment :thumbsup:

:huh:

The image of God isn't physical - it's our ability to think rationally, intellectually, be emotional, and ignore our natural tendencies for survival.

Yes, the image of God is something we have in our minds, if I understand you correctly

We need it as human beings. We cannot really see God with our limited abilities.

If I understand anything about God it's that when we were made in His image, we were made with the capacity to Love.

Our free choice defines if we put it into practice or not......with God's help of course

"One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple." Psalms 27:4

Dear Brother, I have just the greatest fun reading replies to your posts!

I also gather amazing insights your questions stir up!

So......

You Go Bro!

Love, You Brother Joe

What can I say brother. Your posts always manage to inspire me

Blessings in HIM :th_praying:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

I was amazed at the emotionally loaded responses I got and in such a short time too.

I think the reason that folks tend to be sensitive is that the Christian faith and even belief in a Creator-God is under such attack today by folks looking for reasons NOT to believe mostly because so many people refuse to acknowledge a higher power than themselves. It has become intellectually unpopular to submit to a higher authority.

You make a good point though. If we don't respond to the hard questions from our critics with sound reasoning and logic, tempering our responses without getting too emotional, we tend to fall into that sterotype of the "emotional" Christian.

Word pictures are always better, aren't they? It is one of the reasons why Jesus spoke in parables. :thumbsup:

I think the reason that folks tend to be sensitive is that the Christian faith and even belief in a Creator-God is under such attack today by folks looking for reasons NOT to believe mostly because so many people refuse to acknowledge a higher power than themselves. It has become intellectually unpopular to submit to a higher authority.

You make a good point though. If we don't respond to the hard questions from our critics with sound reasoning and logic, tempering our responses without getting too emotional, we tend to fall into that sterotype of the "emotional" Christian.

Word pictures are always better, aren't they? It is one of the reasons why Jesus spoke in parables. :th_praying:

Thanks Wayne, :thumbsup:

I was afraid I might have over-done it this time.

I can quite understand the sensitivity of people under attack.

I want to apologize to anyone here who felt he or his faith was under attack by me.

People have different ways of checking their faith and building it.

The way I check myself is going to extremes in a way. Right now I am studying God's word with a Jehovah's Witness and to my surprise I find it so productive. It amazes me. Talking with someone who believes so differently than I do, pushes me to study His word in a way I never knew I could.

So I hope you forgive me for posting a provocative question...

In Him :wub:

If I understand anything about God it's that when we were made in His image, we were made with the capacity to Love.

Our free choice defines if we put it into practice or not......with God's help of course.

Amen brother. :thumbsup:

...and without Jesus Christ, our Redeemer, we cannot grasp the deep and abiding love that is Agape love.

"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. " John 13:34,35

Jesus said..."A new commandment..."

Until we come to know Jesus Christ and the veil is removed before our eyes, we cannot know what a true agape love is and how to show it. We cannot reflect Christ without Christ. We may know a Phil

• Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Gen 1:26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth."

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

Yet it also says.....

Gen 2:7 then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature.

So God created man, from dust, and without life, until He breathed life into Him

Something dead created from dust.......... that is God's image ? :thumbsup:

How would you explain this contradiction? :wub:

There is no contradiction as man is created in the image of God meaning that God image is God the Father God the Son and God the Holy Ghost. Mankind was also created from the dust of the ground as a three part being those being body, soul, and spirit. You misinterpret scripture and lack further bible knowledge in this area. I hope I have cleared this up for you.

OC

Yet it also says.....

Something dead created from dust.......... that is God's image ? :th_praying:

How would you explain this contradiction? :th_praying:

There is no contradiction as man is created in the image of God meaning that God image is God the Father God the Son and God the Holy Ghost. Mankind was also created from the dust of the ground as a three part being those being body, soul, and spirit. You misinterpret scripture and lack further bible knowledge in this area. I hope I have cleared this up for you.

OC

I absolutly agree with you that I am lacking in knowledge on more than just this issue.

I could shut up till I have that knowledge but then I would shut up till end times or whereabouts.

As for misinterpretations, My feeling is that you are misinterpreting me.... think about it :thumbsup:

Blessings :wub:

So I hope you forgive me for posting a provocative question...

Brother, I think some folks have misunderstood the point of your question. Maybe an explanation of what it is like to be a believer linving in Israel where the percentage of believers is less than 3% (is that a correct statistic?). I don't think folks truly understand what it is like to really be under attack. I am amazed at some of the stories George shares with me. If we aren't able to respond to these sort of questions with humility, how can we honestly expect to withstand the real attacks on our faith one day? :emot-highfive:

Openly Curious, you should read the entire thread. :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

'Wayne B.'

Openly Curious, you should read the entire thread. :emot-highfive:

Finally I get it the OP was a set up for us to see what our responses would be.

Very slow on this one I am slipping

:thumbsup::noidea::wub:

OC

I don't think that I misinterpreted you at all your whole idea is that mankind was created in God's image then you took that one thought to how God created mankind from the dust of the ground as you seen a picture of a dead man in your mind having no life in him and at the same time being created in the image of God.

Ok.... I must have posed the question in a bad way.........

I know God created man in His image, but then comes this verse in chapter two and I kind of sit and stare at it and wonder why this is written and to what end. So I threw it into the forum to see what would happen. I can now see why it could push people's buttons.

To make things clear, I am NOT questiong God. I am questioning what seems to my logic, to be a paradox.

To this day I am waiting for an answer to my question " Why did God allow all first born in Egypt to be killed, especially the babies and the animals?"

To this day that question is waiting to be answered but it doesn't stop me from following God and Yeshua. It just means I want to know.

But something dead created from dust is not God's image which is what you have said. And that is the difference for man was created "IN" the image of God or bears the likeness of God in that man is also a three part being body, soul, and spirit.

God has never been dead nor ever was created from the dust nor had to have the life of God breathed into Himself.

But you must admit, the verse in chapter two does pose a question, at least for those who are lacking in knowledge of this subject....

I do know that it is an amazing thing for one to stop and think that something that was formed out of the dust of the ground actually bears the very image and likeness of the creator of this entire universe out of all the creations in which God made mankind bears God's likeness. It only make us to be more grateful knowing how personal he created us doesn't it.

yes it is definatly amazing once you realize what is going on. Takes time to get there, is all :thumbsup:

If I did misinterpret please let me know where I was wrong for that is not my intent to misinterpret someone I like to converse and talk about the bible with others.

OC

Thanks OC, whether you did or not, you definatly don't sound like it was intentional.

I would rather like to think that I didn't make myself clear enough.

Blessings :emot-highfive: