Rachel72

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Revelations 3:15,16 talks about being lukewarm. I know He is talking to the church, but is He talking to us as well?

If we are lukewarm, He will spit us out of His mouth. What does this mean?

In life, we struggle every day to remain from sinning, we mess up, and there is forgiveness. I don't go to church, but I am a Christian, struggling, yes, but I know Jesus is my savior.

Does this verse mean we can have our salvation taken away?

Another verse, Revelations 3:19 says

"I correct and punish those whom I love. So be eager to do right, and change your hearts and lives."

If He loves us, He is going to punish us? I thought there was no judgments from God when you are a Christian. I totally respect these verses, but would like someone to explain them to me better, so I don't walk around thinking I am going to go to hell cuz I may be lukewarm.

Thank You,

Rachel

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357
Revelations 3:15,16 talks about being lukewarm. I know He is talking to the church, but is He talking to us as well?

In life, we struggle every day to remain from sinning, we mess up, and there is forgiveness. I don't go to church, but I am a Christian, struggling, yes, but I know Jesus is my savior.

"I correct and punish those whom I love. So be eager to do right, and change your hearts and lives."

If He loves us, He is going to punish us? I thought there was no judgments from God when you are a Christian. I totally respect these verses, but would like someone to explain them to me better, so I don't walk around thinking I am going to go to hell cuz I may be lukewarm.

Thank You,

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

Being lukewarm to the church of Laodecia was a very strong statement to that church. Laodedica did not have a natural water source they had to have water literally "piped" in from nearby Colosse as well as another city. The problem was that by the time water reached Laodecia, it was lukewarm and had to be boiled before it could be used for human consumption such as drinking or cooking. Lukewarm water is the breeding ground for bacteria and deadly parasites. Most parasites lay their eggs in that kind of environment.

Too often "hot" and "cold" are misinterpreted by those reading this text as referring to Christians who are either turned on, or turned off of Christ. The "hot" Christian is serving God, and "cold" Christian is not living for God or serving God at all. That is not what Jesus is saying here. Jesus was drawing from the analogy of water, not merely temperature. And according to Jesus, He would prefer that we were either hot or cold.

Jesus is not saying, as is often misinterpreted from this passage, that he wishes us to be either living for Him or living in sin. Too often, preachers use this verse/passage to say that Jesus would rather you be sold out to God or sold out to the devil. That makes no sense, because Jesus would never say that being sold out to the devil is better than being lukewarm, but that is how many take this.

As I said, Jesus is talking about water. Hot water and cold water are beneficial. Hot water has healing/medicinal properties, and cold water is refreshing and quenches thirst. When Jesus said that lukewarm makes him sick, the "lukewarm" analogy would have reminded them of the way that kind of water they had piped in would make them sick. Jesus is saying I wish you were like hot or cold water. Both of those types of water are useful and beneficial. Lukewarm water, where the Laodecians were concerned was not only not useful but actually sickening.

Jesus was, in effect, comparing the church at Laodeciea with the parasites and deadly bacteria in the lukewarm water. That was the object He had in view.

Thank You,

Rachel

Ok, Shiloh took care of the first part, I think. I'm going to look it up myself later when I have the chance. :emot-handshake:

As to the subject of judgement. Believers will face a judgement, but this one is not about whether we are saved or not. The Great White Throne judgement is for the lost. If you find yourself in this one, you died without Christ so believers won't stand at this one.

The second judgement is often called the Judgement Seat of Christ. This is the one all believers will stand at. This judgement is not about salvation -- that is taken care of here on earth. Instead, it is about how we lived our lives in Christ -- all the way down to thoughts and intents of the heart as we did so. It is here that our rewards are given or taken away.

Here's a few verses from biblegateway.com (KJV and the keyword search)

# Matthew 12:36

But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

Matthew 12:35-37 (in Context) Matthew 12 (Whole Chapter)

# Luke 16:2

And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.

Luke 16:1-3 (in Context) Luke 16 (Whole Chapter)

# Luke 20:35

But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:

Luke 20:34-36 (in Context) Luke 20 (Whole Chapter)

# Acts 19:40

For we are in danger to be called in question for this day's uproar, there being no cause whereby we may give an account of this concourse.

Acts 19:39-41 (in Context) Acts 19 (Whole Chapter)

# Romans 14:12

So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Romans 14:11-13 (in Context) Romans 14 (Whole Chapter)

# Hebrews 13:17

Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

Hebrews 13:16-18 (in Context) Hebrews 13 (Whole Chapter)

# 1 Peter 4:5

Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.

Hope this helps.

Thank You,

Rachel

Hot or cold......you are either doing the will of God or you're not.

Being lukewarm is taking the Word of God for granted. Thinking that just because you believe, you are automatically granted permission to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 7:21-23 is a good example of what will happen to those who are lukewarm.

Being lukewarm is believing that your works will get you into heaven.

Guest lovinghim4ever
Hi Rachel,

Being lukewarm to the church of Laodecia was a very strong statement to that church. Laodedica did not have a natural water source they had to have water literally "piped" in from nearby Colosse as well as another city. The problem was that by the time water reached Laodecia, it was lukewarm and had to be boiled before it could be used for human consumption such as drinking or cooking. Lukewarm water is the breeding ground for bacteria and deadly parasites. Most parasites lay their eggs in that kind of environment.

Too often "hot" and "cold" are misinterpreted by those reading this text as referring to Christians who are either turned on, or turned off of Christ. The "hot" Christian is serving God, and "cold" Christian is not living for God or serving God at all. That is not what Jesus is saying here. Jesus was drawing from the analogy of water, not merely temperature. And according to Jesus, He would prefer that we were either hot or cold.

Jesus is not saying, as is often misinterpreted from this passage, that he wishes us to be either living for Him or living in sin. Too often, preachers use this verse/passage to say that Jesus would rather you be sold out to God or sold out to the devil. That makes no sense, because Jesus would never say that being sold out to the devil is better than being lukewarm, but that is how many take this.

As I said, Jesus is talking about water. Hot water and cold water are beneficial. Hot water has healing/medicinal properties, and cold water is refreshing and quenches thirst. When Jesus said that lukewarm makes him sick, the "lukewarm" analogy would have reminded them of the way that kind of water they had piped in would make them sick. Jesus is saying I wish you were like hot or cold water. Both of those types of water are useful and beneficial. Lukewarm water, where the Laodecians were concerned was not only not useful but actually sickening.

Jesus was, in effect, comparing the church at Laodeciea with the parasites and deadly bacteria in the lukewarm water. That was the object He had in view.

Awesome! I am finally grasping a better understanding of what this scripture means. :thumbsup:

This is a great response Shiloh. :emot-handshake:

Now, that makes more sense than all the answers I've ever gotten before regarding this particular scripture. :emot-handshake:

Thanks for sharing. :emot-handshake:

:th_praying::th_praying::th_praying:

Guest shiloh357

Being lukewarm is taking the Word of God for granted. Thinking that just because you believe, you are automatically granted permission to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 7:21-23 is a good example of what will happen to those who are lukewarm.

In our modern Christianeze we associate "hot" and "cold" with spiritual temperature, but that is not something the ancient Chrisdtians would have done. They did not think in those terms. We tend to read our modern culture and idomatic references into the text, I think.

Jesus uses very poignant imagery that hits the Laodecians between the eyes. Laodecia was a very affluent city. They were a leading city in the textile industry and were known for creating expensive, high end clothing. In addition, they had a very famous medical center and produced a highly sought after oily eye-salve. Jesus hits on all three things, their affluence, their fine clothes and their eye medicine, when he says in part, that they are poor, naked and blind, among other things.

Those things contributed to their lukewarmness.

In our modern Christianeze we associate "hot" and "cold" with spiritual temperature, but that is not something the ancient Chrisdtians would have done. They did not think in those terms. We tend to read our modern culture and idomatic references into the text, I think.

Jesus uses very poignant imagery that hits the Laodecians between the eyes. Laodecia was a very affluent city. They were a leading city in the textile industry and were known for creating expensive, high end clothing. In addition, they had a very famous medical center and produced a highly sought after oily eye-salve. Jesus hits on all three things, their affluence, their fine clothes and their eye medicine, when he says in part, that they are poor, naked and blind, among other things.

Matthew 23:23

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

There is no 'Book of Revelations anywhere in the Bible. I searched every different Bible version I own, and cannot find such a book.

Sorry; just one of my (many) crotchets, which I grow to cherish more and more in my superannuation!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Shiloh, thats great and I have never heard that before, but it makes so much more sense than the way its always been explained before! Thanks!

Guest shiloh357

Matthew 23:23