• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  161
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/13/1934

Here is a post I just made concerning a proper interpretation of scripture.

I've just read this post, AK. I must say, your scholarship is really on display in this post and it is truly a fine display. I couldn't agree more with your conclusions. Unfortunately, the end result of following your suggestions and opt for the exigesis every time will set many a Christian's teeth on edge, what with all the cherished dogmas and traditions we Christians seem forever to tote around from pillar to post. May the Holy Spirit liberate Christans from the weight of all those things not Scripturally supported (from an exegetical viewpoint) that they insist in lugging around as they mightly struggle in understanding God's Word through man-made glasses.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357

The chief problem with the "hot" and "cold" concepts is that we want to impose OUR application to the text, and replace the actual interpretation with subjective application.

We get hung up on "hot" and "cold" when it is the water that is the object Jesus has in view. When we impose "hot" to mean a vibrant, active "on fire" Christian, and "cold" to mean someone who is adverse or antagonistic to the Will of God and is more or less living in sin, we really miss the point Jesus is making, and even worse we attribute something to Jesus that is inconsistent with His character. Jesus would never say that it he would prefer us to either be sold out or live in sin.

See, when we understand that Jesus is saying I wish you were either like hot water or cold water, and when we understand benefits of each, "lukewarm" cannot be taken to mean "fence rider." Lukewarm Christians are the ones who actually bear the characterisitics we incorrectly ascribe to the "cold water" Christians. Lukewarm Christians are the ones who self absorbed, arrogant, full of pride, materialistic, uncaring and completely worldly.

the problem that I have is:

even though it is confirmed that there was a spring nearby that supplied water through pipes it is not as though the water

arrived by a desired choice. there was no hot faucet or cold faucet. it either arrived cold, warm, or hot determined by the weather.

That goes without saying; it is foregone conclusion. It should be obvious, I would think, that we are speaking about the general experience, and are not saying that the water coming through pipes was lukewarm 100% of the time. Even if the water was luke warm only say, 30% of the time, it would be enough for Jesus' point to be understood readily by the Laodecians.

The water did not come from one spring, BTW. Cold water came from Colosse, and the hot water came from the springs of Hieropolis.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Okay, thank you friends.

I have been enlightened, and thank each of you for responding. I know this is not a contest, but if I were to "judge" the best answer that fits me and my lack of understanding, Shiloh, you are the winner. You made it very clear.

Okay, Leonard, enough jokes. It was early this morning when I asked this question. Can you please show some mercy? I tried to edit my revelation of Revelation not Revelation"s", but too late. At any rate, you cracked me up...And Fresno Joe, DON"T GIVE HIM A PEN!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not turned off by God one day and turned on another. But, I do have times when I am working too much, and I miss a nite of Bible reading. I do not go to church, I have a social phobia thing, we are in HUGE debt, and I work on Sundays. My husband is saved, as we just recently reviewed the prayer of salvation. Leonard, I almost said "resaid", but I know that is not a word, I didn't say it for your sake only...lol. I have been saved for 16 years, but due to sin in my life, I am still a baby in the Lord.

Another verse, and I don't know where it is, it talks about God taking our lampstand away. I know it is in Revelation. I learned it from a guy in New Jersey, when I was a nanny and lived there. We went to a Baptist church in Bloomfield, and I asked him if we could ever get our salvation taken away from us. He answered with the "lost" verse of the lampstand being taken away from us. Anybody care to point this one out to me?

I judge myself constantly, and I know I should not. Unfortunately, I see either black or white. I have a hard time reading between the lines, when it is called for, especially when it comes to my life. I kinda hate myself, a lot. I am overweight, and it is negating my self esteem, if there is any left. This makes my perception of God a little off centered. I want to be with Jesus in Heaven when He calls us Home, but then again, I don't want to be in hell, separated from God. Does this make me selfish?

I don't know what I would do without God in my life right now. I cannot imagine being separated and cut off from Him for eternity. What am I doing wrong? Am I saved? Am I not? Am I a bad person? Am I a good person? I am so confused. It is so hard trying to make my husband into someone I am equally yolked with. He sees things so differently. Sometimes I think about divorce, but I could not survive without him, I do love him very much. Sometimes my perception gets all mixed up. Can someone help me see that God loves me? Not so much with verses, but with words from the heart. I understand them better. Sometimes I just want to give up...cuz I try and live the Godly life God wants me to, but sin still comes knocking at the door. I still am tempted to do things I should not do, and sometimes I am just so depressed and numb, I don't go to God. What does He want from me? What do I do? Can someone please help me....

Thank you all,

Rachel72

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Dearest Rachel :) please know the Lord hears the cry of your heart. Sometimes God the Father is just sitting back waiting to hear the voice of His children and in some cases for the very first time. He longs to hear our cry of faith as we come to Him and cry out of the depths of our hearts our cares and concerns that we have in this life. The word says that His ears are open to the righteous. Never hide from the Lord Rachel what is ailing your heart so and the things troubling your mind for He wants to know those very things whether good or bad.

I've been leaning on Matthew 6:33 and the teachings in that chapter to get me through of late as our Heavenly Father doesn't want us to worry but to trust Him with our whole life as He has promised us that if we will just seek Him and His righteousness then the things we need will be added into our lives. I believe if we are faithful to do this and if you and I can hang onto this promise and keep trusting in God and seeking Him in His Word then the things we lack and have need of in our lives will be given to us. Everybody needs someone or something to lean on in life so why not let it be the Lord we lean on and trust in the promise He has given His children in His word and let Him take care of us. Take the time to consider the sparrow and the flowers blooming this time of year. Oh Rachel How the Lord loves you.

Jesus Loves Me This I know

For the Bible Tells Me So

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

1 John 5:11-15

loving blessings to you Rachel

:):)

OC

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Is this the only message we are to take away from Rev. 3:15-16? That Christ was sick of the church?

15. I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.

16. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.

There's no other message there other then the church makes Him sick?

We should just ignore this passage and move on to the next?

Is there nothing that can be learned from these 2 verses?

What does that have to do with what I said?

Is this the only message we are to take away from Rev. 3:15-16? That Christ was sick of the church?

15. I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.

16. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.

Take a look at post #27 and tell me you want to continue this here.

Come on....get a clue.

:wub:

Don't tell me you're not going to discuss this with me now.

Talk about mature.

Answer the questions.....it's that simple.

Unless of course you can't.

Talk about mature.

:)

I answered it with another question. Before I can answer your question I need to know what exactly you're trying to get at. I honestly have no clue where you're coming from with your question. I'm asking for clarification.

Talk about mature.

:)

I answered it with another question. Before I can answer your question I need to know what exactly you're trying to get at. I honestly have no clue where you're coming from with your question. I'm asking for clarification.

You have a nice day.

Rachel has some things that need to be addressed. Things that are more important then what you and I have to say to one another right now.

I asked those questions in your other thread. If you can't answer them there...I don't need to know.

Peace.