ollkiller

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Right. I've taught about this for a bit and i want to see what other people's views are. I'll outline where i'm coming from as well. So

I was born a Catholic. I went to mass until i was 12 and then stopped going. I do not know if there is a God or not. If there is a God i believe if you are nice you go to heaven and if your bad you go to hell( i know very simple idea but i think it fits.) I have been raised by my parents to look at both sides of an topic and then take the side that i find reasonable.

Now my question is this. If the God of the Bible exists then why has he given me this brain that through reason and thinking leads me to dismiss the Bible. That is why would God (in the organised religion sense) give me a brain which leads me to dismiss his existence.

Your views are greatly appreciated from both believers and non-believers. Slan Leat(that's goodbye in Irish).

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TrueImages
Right. I've taught about this for a bit and i want to see what other people's views are. I'll outline where i'm coming from as well. So

I was born a Catholic. I went to mass until i was 12 and then stopped going. I do not know if there is a God or not. If there is a God i believe if you are nice you go to heaven and if your bad you go to hell( i know very simple idea but i think it fits.) I have been raised by my parents to look at both sides of an topic and then take the side that i find reasonable.

Now my question is this. If the God of the Bible exists then why has he given me this brain that through reason and thinking leads me to dismiss the Bible. That is why would God (in the organised religion sense) give me a brain which leads me to dismiss his existence.

Your views are greatly appreciated from both believers and non-believers. Slan Leat(that's goodbye in Irish).

Because when God made human, he gave us the right to choose. He gave us free will, and the power to decide what to do. We have our own minds. God gave us the decision to turn towards salvation, or turn away from it. He hopes people choose Him, but it is in the hands only of the person. He gave you the brain to use how you wanted to use it. If you choose to dismiss the Bible, that is the choice you made. If you chose not to, that is the choice you made.

Hope I was of some help.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Because when God made human, he gave us the right to choose. He gave us free will, and the power to decide what to do. We have our own minds. God gave us the decision to turn towards salvation, or turn away from it. He hopes people choose Him, but it is in the hands only of the person. He gave you the brain to use how you wanted to use it. If you choose to dismiss the Bible, that is the choice you made. If you chose not to, that is the choice you made.

Hope I was of some help.

I can see where your coming from and appreciate the comment. Maybe i'm not being clear about what i mean. From where i am i don't see it as a choice. When looking or studying religion my immediate reflex is no defintely not for me. Maybe it's because i look for evidence or a feeling inside me. To me if God existed he would want me to feel like he existed. I just don't get that feeling. Any more thoughts keep them coming. (if i don't respond it's because i'm off to a band practice but i will be back on-line tomorrow). Later Dudes.

Guest TrueImages

Hope I was of some help.

I can see where your coming from and appreciate the comment. Maybe i'm not being clear about what i mean. From where i am i don't see it as a choice. When looking or studying religion my immediate reflex is no defintely not for me. Maybe it's because i look for evidence or a feeling inside me. To me if God existed he would want me to feel like he existed. I just don't get that feeling. Any more thoughts keep them coming. (if i don't respond it's because i'm off to a band practice but i will be back on-line tomorrow). Later Dudes.

I understand where you are coming from, also. I was not a believer for a very long time. It took a lot of time for me to become one. I always had the same mind set you did, then I tried to be more open ( i am not saying you are not open), and since then, I understood the point of view being given to me. From my belief, I believe that God does want you to feel as though He exists, but that He will not force you to believe in Him. Again, though, that is just my opinion.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Funny, isn't it? :emot-hug:

God gave me a brain that through reason and thinking, I came to recognize His existence and accept the Holy Bible as His written and inerrant Word.

I guess it is what we do with our minds and hearts...and more importantly, who we place at the center of our universe. :blink:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  498
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/25/1949

Hi there...

I was raised Catholic too..in Rome Italy....

at 23,I had it all,sex drugs and rocknroll,I was ebven friend with Nick Mason the Pink floyd drummer...and I decided that after all I wanted KILL MYSELF because life was miserable.....

Then JESUS came in my life..please note,I DIDNT GO TO JESUS...HE CAME TO ME....and in 24 hours HE SAVED ME,FILLED ME WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT and CALLED ME TO PREACH...please note that THE BIBLE was a LOCKED BOOK to me...( I tried to read it before Jesus in my life and I just couldnt get it)

I didnt go Bible Schoool,but immediately I was preaching and people were getting saved,I was praying for the sick and several got healed,I prayed for new believers and they got filled with Holy Ghost and spoke in tongues too.....

DONT TRY TO UNDERSTAND GOD......JUST BELIEVE IN HIM,JUST TELL HIM DIRECTLY:"GOD I BELIEVE IN YOU,JESUS SAVE ME and HE WILL DO IT and you will stop wasting your time with a dead religion and with useless philosophy...THE GOSPEL of JESUS IS THE POWER of GOD to SAVE ANYONE that BELIEVES and that INCLUDES YOU if you decide to believe...I pray YOU DO...so YOU GET SAVED and then YOU will know DIRECTLY from GOD and HIS SPIRIT and HIS WORD...please COME TO JESUS BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

Friendly

Roberto :emot-hug:

• Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

Cajunboy::::Remember too, that HE also gives you the same brain to reason with to alllow you to ACCEPT HIM and HIS Bible of Laws/Words. It is throught the choices and experiences that you ALLOWED yourself to partake that brought you to this decision. With HIM, it can be changed ! Anything, with the exception of death, that was done, can be undone, in the way of decision-making. Because I have allowed God to overtake and come into my heart and life, I can see no other decision as being more convincing than the one I made. If this sounds single-mindedness , then so be it.

One of the things I have noted that might have hindered your relationship with God and the Bible is the fact that your most impressionable growing and learning experience with God's Word should have begun between the age of 2 to 12 years old and the problem I had growing up as a Catholic is for all the obvious reasons that so many Christians branch off to other denominations searching for a better way to find God and learn about HIS love. 1) While the Catholic Church does a great job of bringing its community together to love and worship God and HIS people, I always , from the beginning, have had a problem with showing so much reverence to the Blessed Virgin Mary when you compare it to God/Jesus. 2) In my days, being allowed to read the KJV of the Bible was discouraged and almost forbidden because we were told "we may not have the ability or capacity to comprehend it." 3) I don't encourage or recognize the announcement of my personal (sins) to a "higher" authority unless it is God Himself. Why is a Priest considered a closer mediator merely because he might have more education in his field than I do. How do we know that any particular Priest/Preacher/Pastor is not more secular than any given non-believer if he chooses to live in and with his "cross," and not repent of it. I have spoken to several within my community that have NOT. 4) Why do we have to only acknowledge and revere "Holy Days of Obligation" by attending "Mass" and showing respect, when we should be obligated to "reverence" God and celebrate HIS greatness and goodness everyday! There are many more issues I have that have personally affected my life and have hindered my ability to understand and learn more about the true God of the Bible but they were personal to me and may not have affected others in the same manner. For this reason I will not list them!

While there are many that I know of that are doing great works for God and appear very close to God and HIS Laws, there are just as many that are still very worldly and secular and make their beliefs and understanding of their own personal beliefs known that confuse and confound the average striving Christian. If God directs me to a particular Priest who HE has blessed with HIS messages and Spirit I may still attend that particular Church, however the Priest's beliefs must stay aligned with the basic principles and teachings of the Word of God.

Be Blessed

Cajunboy

• Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

Hope I was of some help.

Cajunboy::: ollkiller, The first thing you have to determine is, "Do I want God in my life and heart and do I want to live within the confines of HIS Laws?" If you truly want this , then you have to begin at some point to accept God and HIS Words. The key here is , YOU have to make the initial effort and YOU have to be sincere. If I may be so bold, I think you are beginning to learn and know God at this point in your life but, you haven't been through enough turmoil or sin in your personal life to bring you to a point where you can recognize or realize that it is only through God that you can begin to come out of the fog or dead life that you are heading for by your choice. One thing that I am discerning in your decision making of resoning and if I am wrong please let me know, as this has been a mainstay in most non-believers decisions that I have noted, "If you are purposely or knowingly living in sin and refuse to repent and give up that particular "cross/sin" in exchange for a personal relationshp with God, you are not allowing God to work within your life/heart as you wish to experience. YOU CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. God or the secular life; the two are distinct and deliberately opposed. But then again, one wouldn't expect you to admit to this as your next comment , when thought through, will be , but you don't believe in satan either. At least that you don't recognize satan in your life as we recognize him, anyway!

ollkiller, If none of this applies to you, I truly wish to know and I'll explain my reasoning after you acknowledge or disagree!

Thank You

Blessings

Cajunboy

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Why do you find a need to look for this answer? It brings to mind a verse that is used by some to explain why some are drawn to Christ and some are not.

John 6:44

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

You've been given some good answers ollkiller thus far,

You know your thoughts about if God exists then why did He give you that brain of yours that through reason can dismiss the Bible?

Well God also in that brain of yours gave you the capacity to believe or reject your Creator but that is a willful choice that you make within your own self.

You see one can retain and hold onto the knowledge that their is a Creator or God or they can dismiss it let that knowledge go and remain a nonbeliever and never come to know the Creator of everything in a personal way or they can hold onto God in their knowledge and let it lead them to become a believer who acknowledges God.

God when He created us did not make us slaves to Him but gave each of us the capacity to choose and decide for ourselves if we want to believe and accept Him as Lord of our lives and be saved or to reject Him and be lost eternally as a result.

So to me it is simply your choice.

OC