• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

But we can still repent and our sins will be forgiven, right....? :24:

If you believe that Hebrews 10:26 means that you can lose your salvation, then you must also believe that once you have lost it, you cannot be renewed.

I believe that if we commit a wilful sin after salvation, it is not automatically covered by the blood atonement, meaning that if we died in that condition, we would wind up in hell. That is not the same thing as falling away. That is a person who doesn't just commit a single wilful sin, but one that returns to the world and rejects God. There comes a point where restoration is no longer possible because God no longer convicts them of their sins.

How did you draw these conclusions out of Hebrews 10:26?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But we can still repent and our sins will be forgiven, right....? :P

If you believe that Hebrews 10:26 means that you can lose your salvation, then you must also believe that once you have lost it, you cannot be renewed.

I believe that if we commit a wilful sin after salvation, it is not automatically covered by the blood atonement, meaning that if we died in that condition, we would wind up in hell. That is not the same thing as falling away. That is a person who doesn't just commit a single wilful sin, but one that returns to the world and rejects God. There comes a point where restoration is no longer possible because God no longer convicts them of their sins.

How did you draw these conclusions out of Hebrews 10:26?

Years of personal study of the Bible.

What I was asking for is your rationalization for your beliefs

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

"For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins"

So if we commit the same sin multiple times, are we doomed...? :P

1 Samuel 3:11-14

11) And the LORD said to Samuel:

"See, I am about to do something in Israel that will make the ears of everyone who hears of it tingle.

12) At that time I will carry out against Eli everything I spoke against his family

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

Some other passages that seem to correlate with Hebrews 10:26.

Hebrews 10:26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. 28 Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

Hebrews 6:4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, 6 if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

2 Peter 2:20 If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. 21 It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them. 22 Of them the proverbs are true: "A dog returns to its vomit," and, "A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud."

In His Love,

Suzanne

So, what do you do with the above passages?

Do we just ignore those? Who do those apply to?

In His Love,

Suzanne

Some other passages that seem to correlate with Hebrews 10:26.

Hebrews 10:26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. 28 Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

Hebrews 6:4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, 6 if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

2 Peter 2:20 If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. 21 It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them. 22 Of them the proverbs are true: "A dog returns to its vomit," and, "A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud."

Anyone on this thread who wants to answer it.

FWIW, I am not advocating that a person "loses" his/her salvation, but that thru time and testing, a person will prove to be truly born again, or NOT. As the passage above states, a dog will return to it's vomit, if it is indeed still a dog.

A true believer (saved person) endures and does not return to the "old" man's ways.

In His Love,

Suzanne

With this in mind, let's return to Hebrews chapter 10, beginning at verse 26.

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:

29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hand of the living God.

You can see how these Old Testament scriptures and New Testament scriptures go hand in hand when it comes to showing that God sees a difference between people missing the mark and wilfully sinning. In addition, some have tried to claim that here in Hebrews, the person being spoken of was never a Christian, but merely someone who heard the Word but rejected it. The problem with that argument can be found in verse 29, where it mentions the fact the person had been sanctified by God and did despite unto the Spirit of grace. This shows it is speaking of a believer.

In other words, most people that teach unconditional eternal security say that God doesn't even see a Christian committing a sin because it is under the blood automatically, and that no sin is charged to their account. That is the case with sins done through ignorance or that were not intentional, but not with pre-meditated, wilful or presumptuous sins. They will stain the believer, and nothing unclean will enter heaven.

You make some very convincing points with the above, Butero.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Sorry EricH, but I didn't really know how to take the question. The verse itself is pretty plain.

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.

Notice that the first part of the verse states "if we sin," but then goes on to say "wilfully." This makes it plain that God makes a distinction in a sin done without thought and one that was premeditated. The next part of the verse says "after that we have received the truth," indicating it is speaking of someone who is a believer. The last part says, "there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins." Based on that, and the following verses that compare things to the way they were under the law, I come to this conclusion. In Hebrews, such sins are called wilful, but in the Old Testament, they were called presumptuous.

In Numbers chapter 15, God makes a distinction between 2 types of sins. Those done through ignorance and those done presumptuously. For those done in ignorance, you find the remedy is an animal sacrifice when the person realizes their error. For those done presumptuously or wilfully it says in verses 30 and 31

30 But the soul that doeth ought presumptuously, whether he be born in the land, or a stranger, the same reproacheth the LORD; and that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

31 Because he hath despised the word of the LORD, and hath broken his commandment, that soul shall utterly be cut off; his iniquity shall be upon him.

With this in mind, let's return to Hebrews chapter 10, beginning at verse 26.

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:

29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hand of the living God.

You can see how these Old Testament scriptures and New Testament scriptures go hand in hand when it comes to showing that God sees a difference between people missing the mark and wilfully sinning. In addition, some have tried to claim that here in Hebrews, the person being spoken of was never a Christian, but merely someone who heard the Word but rejected it. The problem with that argument can be found in verse 29, where it mentions the fact the person had been sanctified by God and did despite unto the Spirit of grace. This shows it is speaking of a believer.

In other words, most people that teach unconditional eternal security say that God doesn't even see a Christian committing a sin because it is under the blood automatically, and that no sin is charged to their account. That is the case with sins done through ignorance or that were not intentional, but not with pre-meditated, wilful or presumptuous sins. They will stain the believer, and nothing unclean will enter heaven.

Does the greek word used here for sanctified always apply to salvation in the scriptures?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

'EricH'

Does the greek word used here for sanctified always apply to salvation in the scriptures?

Hi EricH,

Thought I would throw my thoughts in the mix. Yes the greek word for sanctified does apply to those who have been made clean.

You know like the sow that was washed but returned back to the mud in Peter's epistle says.

When I think about this I think are you kidding? As I have never heard of a sanctified set apart sinner have you? :lightbulb2:

blessings

OC

Dear cardcaptor,

I believe that is what Butero stated.

:lightbulb2: