• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

I think the whole situation (the child drawing the gun) is a great example of what happens when federal/state authority is left unchecked for too long. The kid didn't draw pictures of people being killed, murdered, tortured etc. He drew a picture of a gun, which was probably inspired by either some toys of his or video games. If he had drawn a picture of a gunman killing say his classmates billy and bobby and jean and the teacher, perhaps there would have been a reason to intervene. It was a harmless picture. Boys play cops and robbers, cowboys and indians and soldier. Maybe we should let our boys learn to be boys and let them enjoy a childhood full of action and adventure.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Ironically...Christianity is built on authoritarianism.

Absolutely! Maybe that is the root of the misunderstanding. Christian attitude towards God are misapplied to government? Govt shouldn't be revered, because reverence leaves little room for scrutiny. If we deify govt, there is nothing to keep it in check--and it must be. :39:

From my point of view I think this pretty much sums everything up. I find I can't criticise the American attitude towards Christianity because it is miles ahead of the rest of the world in it's honesty, its laws and its openness.

However, I have a really big problem with the fact that so many people seem to be thinking that to be a Christian means that they have to obsequiously support government "authority". I can't remember who it was who said that "a good government is one that is afraid of its people", but a lot of you seem to forget that government exists to serve the people - not the other way around.

Jesus didn't tell anyone to deify government. So why do so many people think they have to do this?

bucks, we are agreeing way to much lately..........................should I worry! :thumbsup:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

but a lot of you seem to forget that government exists to serve the people

Jesus didn't tell anyone to deify government. So why do so many people think they have to do this?

Since you brought Jesus into it (rightfully so...) I don't recall Jesus saying that the government exists to serve the people. Its a grand idea, but not necessarily factual.

The government should exist to serve God, no matter what 'the people' think.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

Since you brought Jesus into it (rightfully so...) I don't recall Jesus saying that the government exists to serve the people. Its a grand idea, but not necessarily factual.

:emot-highfive: all arguements set aside I will say if I saw that drawing in school on a students notebook and it was not art time I would be concerned for two or even maybe three reasons 1) He is not paying attention in class

2) with all that has happened and attention, he should have known better and being"The good boy" that he is may have wanted attention.

3)I may be nutz but I see more than "just plain doodling" I see a school with two levels,one with windows three smiley faces and where the trigger is underneath are three dead bodies and I am blind with my glasses still inuse. But also I see someone on top of that building and yes tomany of us it seems silly but I would not send my child back there unless the kid had a psychiatric assesment. Most of the time the parents knew nothing and the other guy from the university people knew an still couldn't do anything. Check them out when they are young...I doodle but in gunshapes... :) patricia

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

I didn't ever say that Jesus said that the government exists to serve the people. Governments are totally separate from Jesus, governments are an invention of man, and I, for one, find it obscene when people compare man's government to divinity (things like "God sees all, so why shouldn't government?")

The people (the masses if you like) allow government to exist (yes, that's right "allow government to exist", they do pay for its existance you must realise) for the benefit of the people, not so that government can "bite the hand that feeds it" by "pushing round" the people and following the personal agenda of despots and providing luxurious living for politicians and senior bureaucrats.

The sooner people realise that they have the power to "reign in" their employees - their government, the better off they'll be. The people exist to serve God, they don't need a government to do it for them.

How can a government exist to serve God, when it is an invention of the people and all the people don't serve God. You're right about one thing, they should. Then maybe their government could, through them, serve God. But until then, no government has the right to go against what the people want.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

not so that government can "bite the hand that feeds it" by "pushing round" the people and following the personal agenda of despots and providing luxurious living for politicians and senior bureaucrats.

no government has the right to go against what the people want.

These things are exactly what governments do, tho, including ours, tho "despots" is a litle harsh.

• Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

:24:

I used to draw guns while bored in school all the time, I wonder what the big deal was about his picture? :24:

I certainly don't thing it warrants a suspension. I mean, I turned out alright... :24:

t.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

:24:

I used to draw guns while bored in school all the time, I wonder what the big deal was about his picture? :24:

I certainly don't thing it warrants a suspension. I mean, I turned out alright... :24:

t.

:24: says who?????????????

• Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

:emot-hug:

I used to draw guns while bored in school all the time, I wonder what the big deal was about his picture? :emot-highfive:

I certainly don't thing it warrants a suspension. I mean, I turned out alright... :P

t.

:o says who?????????????

Well, I got my family and boss pretty snowed right now.... :emot-hug:

t.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29

How was that a drawing of a gun? It had stick people and faces on it; it was obviously some kind of building.

I didn't think the stick people in the bottom part of the drawing looked dead, either.