Axxman

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

My kids came home from school today with the following note...

Hi Parents!

Next week marks the 6th anniversary of the Sept. 1th tragedy. Our school is participating in a few events to remember that sad day. First, we will be making a peace sign on the field before announcements. Then, there will be a peace poetry contest. Finally, students are encouraged to wear red, white, and blue. We briefly discussed the events that occured on Sept. 11th, 2001, but please feel free to elaborate and answer any questions your child might have. Thanks!

Am I right to be concerned about this...or am I overreacting because I have to deal with so much liberalism in the school?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Personally, I feel the same way. I'll be wearing my red, white and blue that day. But the peace sign?

First of all, I have problems with the symbol as a broken upside-down cross. (Somewhere out there is an explanation of that.)

My second problem: we were attacked. How do you make peace with someone who wants you destroyed? :emot-pray:

• Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

For the most part, I don't see anything wrong with it. I would think that peace is a universal value, everyone regardless of ideology or party affiliation ought to want a more peaceful world. The peace sign is a little over the top though.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

For the most part, I don't see anything wrong with it. I would think that peace is a universal value, everyone regardless of ideology or party affiliation ought to want a more peaceful world. The peace sign is a little over the top though.

I have NOTHING against peace...of course I don't much care about its 'universal' value. The problem is that it is a political statement, and an ideological statement that the public school has NO business involving itself in. I also think that its wrong to have a Peace rally on the day that 3000 Americans were murdered and while we are at war with that enemy.

If they wanted to have a memorial for the victims, or even use the day to reflect on what Sept 11th meant to this country...that would be different. Overall...thats not why I send my kids to school.

:24:

Voice Of Vanity

For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
1 Thessalonians 5:3

Voice Of Truth

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee.
Psalms 122:6

Voice Of War

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
Mark 10:34

Voice Of Victory

Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
1 John 4:4

Voice Of Love

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

Voice Of Rest

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Mark 11:28-29

:24:

See Jesus And Be Blessed

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them.

Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Joe

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

I watched the movie "The Secret" and it's theme was basically that if you believe something will happen, you make that thing happen, no matter what it is. Money, wealth, power, beauty...etc. This theme is all over the place now, from many different angles and storylines. Some stories have people believing in wishes, positive energies, witchcraft, all pointing to self. One thing they all have in common is they remove God from every equation.

Without God, there is no peace on earth.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  469
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  09/21/1967

Personally, I feel the same way. I'll be wearing my red, white and blue that day. But the peace sign?

First of all, I have problems with the symbol as a broken upside-down cross. (Somewhere out there is an explanation of that.)

My second problem: we were attacked. How do you make peace with someone who wants you destroyed? :whistling:

Certainly it is good to be on ones guard, but things can be taken too out of context and we start seeing things as bad even though they are not. The peace symbol has nothing to do with a broken cross. I assume you are referring to the classic circle with vertical line through it with inverted V at bottom

This symbol was a logo commissioned in 1950s by CND , campaign for Nuclear disarmament , the design has nothing to do with a cross. HOw many of you are familiar with semaphore, signaling with flags, well the lines inside the circle are the arm positions for ND, Nuclear Disarmament, in Semaphore.

I am not American so stay out of these topics in general, however i think this is miles over the top, a 1 minute standing in silence is more than enough .

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  160
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  01/30/1983

Since I live in Canada I suppose I have a bit of a different perspective.

I really don't see a big issue in this. Keep in mind that religion no longer has a place in most public schools, so this is something you're always going to have to contend with. It sounds to me like the school just wants to keep in remembrance of Sept.11...

Personally I don't really see the point, unless you're commememorating those that are out in war...but then who am I? Why people want to continually dwell on this day I don't understand. It will not change anything to "remember" since no one could really do anything to change it anyway!

:whistling:

• Topic Count:  281
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

Why remember that is a good question?

If I look at the tradegy of the book Exodus in the story of the 10 plagues, why would God want us to remember past? What was the passover any way the but the death angle, who, came and killed the first born of all the house who did not have the protection of the lambs blood on their door. Yet we remember and honor this for almost 2000 years.

Why do honor the death and remember His last supper? Because he told us too.

Why should we remember 9/11? Because He gave us reason too. He just never said how and we must all do what we can to help us move on.

For some of us we who 9/11 may have hit harder than others need more symbolism for them continue to move on with life. While it may feel strange to those of us it did not greatly impact we can never understand but we must support peoples need for healing.

It is good day to promote peace and people will take advantage of that just like Christians take December to promote the birth of Christ and Easter to celebrate the memory of his death that was horrifying. I remember these time because of the healing that has come from the birth and death of Christ which is to bring to peace to the world.