• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

" In fact OMG isn't a vain uttering,"

I don't think it's vain, I think it's mostly just thoughtless when used by the majority of people. I even see OMG used all the time on the Internet. It's like a 'wow' but people are just thoughtlessly interjecting God's name.

" and GD'mit is just casting a curse on something."

Just casting a curse? Is that all?

Are we Christians supposed to be casting curses? Is anyone?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

:"At my work people use the Lords name in vain a lot, it bothers me, thats when I reply, "what did God have to do with it?"

When nonChristians do this I often scowl along with them by saying "Buddha!!! Muhammed!!" . Then I ask "why don't people ever use those other names?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

I choose not to get into whether OMG is taking the Lord's name in vain. I do know that it should not be encouraged, all it does is allow people to stop giving God the respect He deserves. How can someone use His name as a swear word and consider him the all-powerful Lord of the universe at the same time?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

I choose not to get into whether OMG is taking the Lord's name in vain. I do know that it should not be encouraged, all it does is allow people to stop giving God the respect He deserves. How can someone use His name as a swear word and consider him the all-powerful Lord of the universe at the same time?

my goodness.... :emot-highfive: I hear a lot worse. When people around me yell j.c in vain i laugh and tell them One day he is going to show up if you keep call out His name.. It is ususally curtailed follow by an I'm sorry!

People are way to critical...maybe that is why some do not go to church.. well anyway what a curse word is according to human knowledge vs. God knowledge are two different things. My daughter says Oh my God.. she is actually talking to God but someone admonished her for that and then I went to them.

When I babysat my niece when she was younger and I would praise Jesus she told me we are not allowed to say THAT word. She thought I used it as a curse. So when her mom came home we all talked together...patricia1 :emot-highfive:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  09/20/1947

I personally try never to use His name in a frivoulous fashion, some use it as an expression of shock when some disaster or other occurs. I really don't think that is right. He is our creator, our King and our Saviour and we should at all times accord Him the reverence that is His due and His right.

Yet we should never forget those anguished words spoken by even our Master " Eloi, Eloi, Lama Sabachthani " as He took the sins of the world upon Himself and I suspect the One who hates all sin for a moment did in fact, for that moment, turn from the Saviour of the world. Those same words were used in psalm 22 by King David.

I apologise for going off subject (as I often do) but I mention that as a possible example of the use of the OMG expression. Perhaps Job is another example, but was corrected fearsomely.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

I think that people have differing sensitivities and standards as to what it means to take God's name in vain.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

2 Samuel 3:29

29)"May his blood fall upon the head of Joab and upon all his father's house!

May Joab's house never be without someone who has a running sore or

leprosy or who leans on a crutch or who falls by the sword or who lacks food." - King David

(i'd hate to belong to that family line)

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

2 Samuel 3:29

29)"May his blood fall upon the head of Joab and upon all his father's house!

May Joab's house never be without someone who has a running sore or

leprosy or who leans on a crutch or who falls by the sword or who lacks food." - King David

(i'd hate to belong to that family line)

no we are definitly suppossed to stay away from casting curses. What People do not know is every time they talk badly about someone or judge someone falsely a curse comes upon both by their own words!! When Jobs wife said curse God and die...we only assume what she meant, in the way of a curse that is. patricia1

God - is not, "God's" name. The second commandment in the Ten Commandmenst is to not take the name of the LORD in vain. If you read the old Testament, every time you see the word LORD, it is in all capitals. In the New Testament, you start seeing "lord" or "Lord." The all smalls talk about people like landlords and things of that nature. The Lord with the capital L talks about Jesus.

When the ancient scribes and copiers of the Bible were trying to figure out how to not take the LORD's name and vain and what all that meant, they figured that if they never said it, or wrote it, then they would never take his name in vain. God's name is Yahweh. That's his covenant name that he was called by the ancients. Gods (or gods, in some cases) have names. In the old testament there was Baal, Astheroth, Yahweh, and Dagon, to name a few. These were the names of some G(g)ods. Egypt had their gods, Grece, had theirs, and Rome had theirs. So the Hebrew God's name was Yahweh.

What does it mean to say Yahweh's name in vain? They really didn't know, so they used his title to talk about him. So everywhere you see it saying thins like, "the LORD God of Israel says," or just the phrase, "the LORD," replace it with Yahweh. It makes a lot of sence. When Elijah was challenging the prophets of Baal, they were trying to see, "if Baal was God, or if Yahweh was God." It would read in our Bibles, "if Baal was God or if the LORD was God."

So, Yahweh is his name, like Mark, or Bill.

God is his "job description" so to speak like, administrator, or overseer, commander or, squadron leader.

Lord is his title, or rank, like President or Governor, Sergent or General. Landlords are called lords.

To say that saying "Oh Lord!" Or "Oh My God!" is taking Yahweh's name in vain would be almost like saying "Oh Overseer!" or "Aw, President!"

But then again if we were to put our President's name in there and say someting like, 'Aw George!" "Oh G.W.!" That's kind of silly and not very clearly understood how that's vain. I think if we were all honest, we'd have to admit that it's really not all that clear.

I will stop here to admit that I don't know what this means for "Lord" or the New Testament or for Jesus himself. But I will say that "Christ" is not a part of his name. That's probably another "job description."

Anyway, that's all I have. Any thoughts, let me know.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  124
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

It happens.