Rachel72

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

In Genesis 9:20-27, Noah becomes drunk and lays down, naked. He has three sons. Ham told his brothers, Shem and Japheth about his father being naked, and Shem and Japheth went to cover him up, but not Ham. When Noah woke up, he was upset at Ham and put a curse on Canaan, who Ham was the father of, and for Ham to be a slave to his two brothers. I am not sure I understand why? Why would Noah be angry at Ham? All three of them played a part in keeping him covered in his nakedness and drunkenness.

I don't do well when someone answers and is politically correct, and trying to show off their knowledge of the Bible. If you choose to answer my question, I need you to do it in a way that I can understand it. Easy words. Please do not be offended. I just want someone to answer in a way I can understand, along with anyone else who reads and may learn from this.

Thank You,

Rachel72

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Ham told his brothers to make fun of/ or tattle on his father, not so he would be covered up, if I remember correctly, the other 2 covered him in a way that they wouldn't see him while they were doing it. He should have covered him up and out of respect for his father said nothing.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

Ham told his brothers to make fun of/ or tattle on his father, not so he would be covered up, if I remember correctly, the other 2 covered him in a way that they wouldn't see him while they were doing it. He should have covered him up and out of respect for his father said nothing.

Thats the way I understand it.

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

This makes perfect sense. Thank you. It kind of gives you a message of gossip as well. Thanks to both of you...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Very true, but I can add one other thing it can teach us, Noah was drunk, and past out, yet even then 2 of his sons showed him the honor due to him as their father according to God's word!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

I agree. bascially Ham was rejoicing in Evil. It was the attitude of "Hey guys, come and see what I just saw".

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

It was actually Canaan, Ham's son, who was cursed. And as far as we know he was not present. I don't even know if he was born yet. I read that Noah could not curse Ham because he was already blessed by God and could not be cursed personally but his son could carry the curse because of his Ham's sin (whatever it was).

Another commentary I have read on this states that Ham's sin was more than just mocking his fathers drunken and naked state. That he acted in some very disrespectful way toward his father when the father was helpless to prevent him.

I don't know but whatever he did, he certainly had Noah extremely upset. Imagine cursing your grandchild because of something your child has done... I think it would have to be something really bad.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

It was actually Canaan, Ham's son, who was cursed. And as far as we know he was not present. I don't even know if he was born yet. I read that Noah could not curse Ham because he was already blessed by God and could not be cursed personally but his son could carry the curse because of his Ham's sin (whatever it was).

Another commentary I have read on this states that Ham's sin was more than just mocking his fathers drunken and naked state. That he acted in some very disrespectful way toward his father when the father was helpless to prevent him.

I don't know but whatever he did, he certainly had Noah extremely upset. Imagine cursing your grandchild because of something your child has done... I think it would have to be something really bad.

Can you say, "dysfunctional family"?

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

I have actually heard commentaries that agree with your second paragraph, and what it was is condemned later on in the Bible...like at Sodom...and yes, that is a very dysfunctional dude.