senerhu

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,661
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

I'm seeing in some posts on this board where some people post God with a dash in the middle of His name. Shown as G-d. That is the only word in the posts that has that dash in it. What is the point of putting a dash in God's name? That shows irreverence for God. It shows to me that your taking His name in vain. Why is this done or allowed on here?...

As EricH pointed out it is actually a sign of reverence. In Hebrew, God's Name YHVH is ineffable (unpronouncable). Jewish people make no attempt to pronounce His Name. Whenever YHVH appears in the text, they replace it with Adonai or the term "Ha Shem" ("The Name") so that they avoid taking His Name in vain.

Taking the Lord's name in vain refers to a vain oath. What was meant was that we were not make a false promise or swear falsely by His Name.

I understand what taking the Lord's name in vain means. I've been saved for years and when I read those posts with G-d in them, instead of God, I felt it was wrong and didn't know the meaning behind it as you described. What about unsaved people that come here? Are they supposed to know the origin behind putting the dash in between God's name? Why not make it simple and just use God's name the way most are familar with and how the King James Version and other versions of the Bible have it? An unsaved person could read that and draw a conclusion that the name of God is being disrespected without having any foreknowledge...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

I understand what taking the Lord's name in vain means. I've been saved for years and when I read those posts with G-d in them, instead of God, I felt it was wrong and didn't know the meaning behind it as you described. What about unsaved people that come here? Are they supposed to know the origin behind putting the dash in between God's name? Why not make it simple and just use God's name the way most are familar with and how the King James Version and other versions of the Bible have it? An unsaved person could read that and draw a conclusion that the name of God is being disrespected without having any foreknowledge...

Shalom senerhu,

I say this with all gentleness and love.

Why does it bother you? Please ask yourself that. Should you judge someone else's walk with the L-rd, or your own?

You "felt it was wrong"? Something you should consider is that it is not your place to decide how another Believer relates to G-d. Instead of asking with an open mind, you wrongly assumed it was wrong and asked why it was allowed here. That is a shame.

No, it is not "irreverence" for G-d's Name, it is the opposite. Yet, as this thread clearly shows, Believers are ready to jump on someone who is different than themselves, without knowing anything about the person, their motives or the actions. THIS is what is wrong - quick to judge and criticize, rather than ask and give the benefit of the doubt to G-d's children.

The Bible speaks against this type of judging.

As a born-again Jew, writing as I do is a consideration to the Jewish people I minister to and also as a way of reverencing G-d myself.

You may consider that Paul too approached witnessing to the Jews in ways NOT to offend them. These are unsaved people and they need to hear the message, not be offended at how it's delivered. This is actually done in consideration of the unsaved people who would be offended.

As for "making it simple"? According to whose parameters? Yours? Do you get to decide, or does G-d?

In MY family and my circle of friends and those I seek to minister to, it would be considered very rude and irreverent to write G-d with the vowels, so the simplest thing for me is to do as I am led by G-d and my convictions, not as other people dictate who have no right to demand it.

Do you think that there are only those in the Body who do not understand writing G-d this way? If so, you are mistaken. Many do write this way and are happy to explain when asked graciously why they do as they do. But, some others still judge first and ask questions later and THIS is wrong.

As for the King James, ummmm, there are more translations than one. And for the Body of Messiah, not everyone looks, thinks, acts or speaks the same. THAT is wrong to demand that we all do. You want everyone to fit in nice little boxes and all look the same? You mean, look like you? That is pride and that is a sin. And no, we don't and we won't.

In one of MY Bibles, all the names are in Hebrew. And G-d is not used, but "Adonai" is.

You should consider Paul's words:

1 Corinthians 9:

19 For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. 21To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that(AH) by all means I might save some. 23I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

I don't want to start an argument or anything, but I'm wondering about all the times in the Bible that tell us to "Call on the name of the Lord".

Isaiah 12:4 In that day you will say:

"Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name;

make known among the nations what he has done,

and proclaim that his name is exalted.

Psalm 116:13 I will lift up the cup of salvation

and call on the name of the LORD.

Psalm 116:17 I will sacrifice a thank offering to you and call on the name of the LORD.

Genesis 4:26 Seth also had a son, and he named him Enosh. At that time men began to call on the name of the LORD.

1 Chron 16:8 & Psalm 105:1 Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done.

1 Corinthians 1:2 To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ