• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  11
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/03/1992

Separation of church and state; the government can't be seen endorsing a particular religion, so I guess it makes sense to me. Actually, I don't see it as a problem at all. People can put what they want up on private property, but the government needs to represent all the people including religious minorities, so it really doesn't make sense for a particular faith to be endorsed or have its holidays celebrated.

As for people saying "happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", who cares? Say what you want. When I say happy holidays it's because I'm referring to several holidays -- Thanksgiving, Christmas, Chanukah because some of my friends celebrate it and New Year's. Being inclusive isn't a sin. I think it's a very silly and frivolous thing to get worked up over. Just say whatever makes you happy and let everyone else have the same privilege.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  1

Separation of church and state; the government can't be seen endorsing a particular religion, so I guess it makes sense to me. Actually, I don't see it as a problem at all. People can put what they want up on private property, but the government needs to represent all the people including religious minorities, so it really doesn't make sense for a particular faith to be endorsed or have its holidays celebrated.

As for people saying "happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", who cares? Say what you want. When I say happy holidays it's because I'm referring to several holidays -- Thanksgiving, Christmas, Chanukah because some of my friends celebrate it and New Year's. Being inclusive isn't a sin. I think it's a very silly and frivolous thing to get worked up over. Just say whatever makes you happy and let everyone else have the same privilege.

Finally another voice of common sense. :24:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Both of you. . .

You are mischaracterizing this debate and throwing in yet another hypothetical, theoretical, philosophical subject that isn't relevant to this discussion.

That was a very dishonest thing to say forrestkc and thoughtful you are niave to agree with him. Who do you think leads the blanket, canned food and Christmas gift drives? It's the Church, every year, in my church, we always collected canned food, supplies, bedding and clothing for the needy from Thanksgiving all the way through the New Year.

Yes, but typically not the same churches that sue the city to get a ten commandments monument in the court house. Lets call a spade a spade here. Catholic Charities and the Mainline Protestant churches that run the bulk of the soup kitchens and homeless missions are not the ones out there blowing millions on law suits that they know they won't win. Its these marginal groups that choose to blow their money on the culture war whipping post of the week rather than invest it in their communities.

Why can't we do both? :24:

t.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.74
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.84
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

People can put what they want up on private property, but the government needs to represent all the people including religious minorities, so it really doesn't make sense for a particular faith to be endorsed or have its holidays celebrated.

But if December 25 is not acknowledged as the day we celebrate the birth of Christ, then what is it?

Or would you rather, like many atheists I have heard, wish to return the day to the celebration of the Sun (El Sol)?

Both of you. . .

You are mischaracterizing this debate and throwing in yet another hypothetical, theoretical, philosophical subject that isn't relevant to this discussion.

That was a very dishonest thing to say forrestkc and thoughtful you are niave to agree with him. Who do you think leads the blanket, canned food and Christmas gift drives? It's the Church, every year, in my church, we always collected canned food, supplies, bedding and clothing for the needy from Thanksgiving all the way through the New Year.

Yes, but typically not the same churches that sue the city to get a ten commandments monument in the court house. Lets call a spade a spade here. Catholic Charities and the Mainline Protestant churches that run the bulk of the soup kitchens and homeless missions are not the ones out there blowing millions on law suits that they know they won't win. Its these marginal groups that choose to blow their money on the culture war whipping post of the week rather than invest it in their communities.

Why can't we do both? :emot-dance:

t.

Technically you could, but somewhere priorities must be established because of the finite resources that any organizations have. Either a church puts its resources into the community, or it chooses to spend what could possibly be millions on cases that it knows it probably won't win.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Both of you. . .

Why can't we do both? :emot-dance:

t.

Technically you could, but somewhere priorities must be established because of the finite resources that any organizations have. Either a church puts its resources into the community, or it chooses to spend what could possibly be millions on cases that it knows it probably won't win.

On the flip side, the less resistance an opposing force encounters, the more it pushes. Someone has to present the case, don't they?

t.

On the flip side, the less resistance an opposing force encounters, the more it pushes. Someone has to present the case, don't they?

t.

I agree, but I also think we need to do better at picking our battles.