• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I was just wondering...

Do you, those of you who partake in allowing your children to believe the lie of Santa being real, do you expect the truth from your children at all times? And when they did lie to you, were they punished?

And don't try to tell me that ommission of the truth is not a lie...It is.

What is it that word they call someone that does one thing and expects other's to do something else? :th_praying: Hmmmm, what's that word? :laugh:

Shalom Bib,

I don't know the word, (except I am thinking "hypocrite"?) but you raised an EXCELLENT point.

As a Christian parent, I expect my children never to choose to lie, either by omission or commission.

As a Christian parent, I answer to G-d for what I teach them or allow them to believe and I mist walk in G-d's ways if I expect them to.

Aah, yes, THAT's the word...hypocrite! Thank you eversomuch Vickilynn! :laugh:

A parent who lies to their child yet expects their child to tell them the truth is a hypocrite.

Then we're all hypocrites.

I personally know of no parent that has never lied to their kids about some minor thing.

If we're going to be so absolute about it, then we'd all by hypocrites anyway. Because it's not just about lying to our children, it should be about lying, period. We shouldn't expect our kids to tell the truth about anything if we don't tell the truth about everything. That includes those little "white lies" we tell our friends just to be nice.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member

there is no argument.

Then why has this thread gone on through 7 pages? :th_praying:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

So when my 5-year-old comes to me and asks me how babies are made and I tell her that "Mommy and daddy want to talk to you about that when you're a little older," it's a lie? There are age-appropriate conversations, in my opinion, and I have absolutely no qualms about being silent concerning certain subject matter until the time is right.

Shalom Ovedya,

Telling them it's not the right time to discuss something is not a lie.

However, telling your child that they born by the STORK bringing them to your home would be a lie and a violation of Scripture, replacing the miracle of G-d's creation with a mythical thing. Exactly the same as lying about Santa.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Content Count:  7,876
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

Here is an interesting article about the Jolly old 'Father Christmas' :

http://www.av1611.org/othpubls/santa.html

Somewhat long, but well worth the read :th_praying:

I take very little stock in websites which essentially condemn people to perdition for perpetuating the Santa Claus myth. This is exactly the sort of thing that I wrote about earlier in this thread - a perfect example of going overboard.

edit: That website also happens to be authored by a KJV-Only group. Stands to reason, then, why it is so condemning. :emot-hug:

I am certainly not intending to offend any Christian sensibilities here, Ovedya. :laugh:

I, myself, allow certain 'Santa' themed articles into our house.....Christmas cards, boxes of chocolates, etc.....

But I would never tell children that Santa is real.....or substitute him for Jesus Christ, who is the real reason for the season.

As I write this, I am drawn to the 'Scripture Bot' at the top of the page, which reads:

Ephesians 4:3.....Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace

No major issue....we should all deal with our handling of the Christmas season as best we see fit :laugh:

Santa is just a fairy tale.....whereas Jesus is our ever-present Saviour :laugh:

there is no argument.

Then why has this thread gone on through 7 pages? :th_praying:

Shalom,

What you see is man's attempt to circumvent G-d's righteousness.

I said there is no argument against the Biblical truth and there is none. But that doesn't stop people from trying for 7 pages.

Guest Biblicist
I was just wondering...

Do you, those of you who partake in allowing your children to believe the lie of Santa being real, do you expect the truth from your children at all times? And when they did lie to you, were they punished?

What is it that word they call someone that does one thing and expects other's to do something else? :th_praying: Hmmmm, what's that word? :laugh:

Shalom Bib,

I don't know the word, (except I am thinking "hypocrite"?) but you raised an EXCELLENT point.

As a Christian parent, I expect my children never to choose to lie, either by omission or commission.

As a Christian parent, I answer to G-d for what I teach them or allow them to believe and I mist walk in G-d's ways if I expect them to.

Aah, yes, THAT's the word...hypocrite! Thank you eversomuch Vickilynn! :laugh:

A parent who lies to their child yet expects their child to tell them the truth is a hypocrite.

Then we're all hypocrites.

I personally know of no parent that has never lied to their kids about some minor thing.

If we're going to be so absolute about it, then we'd all by hypocrites anyway. Because it's not just about lying to our children, it should be about lying, period. We shouldn't expect our kids to tell the truth about anything if we don't tell the truth about everything. That includes those little "white lies" we tell our friends just to be nice.

A hypocrite is a person who lives one way and expects others to live another.

If I have lied to my children, when I have, I have always asked their forgiveness. That is not hypocracy, that is human nature and Biblical teaching. If you have lied to your child and never asked their forgiveness for it, yet expected them to never lie to you, or ask your forgiveness for their lie, you would be considered a hypocrite.

I would never expect my children to tell me the truth when I willingly, knowingly tell them lies. And it would be wrong for me to do so. Until that sin is repented of, I have no right to.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

Clear something up here. My child comes up and asks, "How are babies made Mommy?" I then explain to the child that I will explain it when he is older.

Now, My child comes up to me and says "Santa is wonderful! He can see me when I am awake and when I am asleep and he loves all the little children and he is just the greatest man and is omnipresent! :laugh::th_praying::laugh::laugh: And then I can either not say a word, or correct the child. Notice in my first example, I did not choose silence? I let the child know that I am waiting to tell him when he is older about how babies are made. See the difference? Apples and oranges really.

Here is an interesting article about the Jolly old 'Father Christmas' :

http://www.av1611.org/othpubls/santa.html

Somewhat long, but well worth the read :th_praying:

I take very little stock in websites which essentially condemn people to perdition for perpetuating the Santa Claus myth. This is exactly the sort of thing that I wrote about earlier in this thread - a perfect example of going overboard.

edit: That website also happens to be authored by a KJV-Only group. Stands to reason, then, why it is so condemning. :emot-hug:

I am certainly not intending to offend any Christian sensibilities here, Ovedya. :laugh:

I, myself, allow certain 'Santa' themed articles into our house.....Christmas cards, boxes of chocolates, etc.....

But I would never tell children that Santa is real.....or substitute him for Jesus Christ, who is the real reason for the season.

As I write this, I am drawn to the 'Scripture Bot' at the top of the page, which reads:

Ephesians 4:3.....Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace

No major issue....we should all deal with our handling of the Christmas season as best we see fit :laugh:

Santa is just a fairy tale.....whereas Jesus is our ever-present Saviour :laugh:

ITA!

Clear something up here. My child comes up and asks, "How are babies made Mommy?" I then explain to the child that I will explain it when he is older.

Now, My child comes up to me and says "Santa is wonderful! He can see me when I am awake and when he is asleep and he loves all the little children and he is just the greatest man and is omnipresent! :emot-hug::laugh::laugh::laugh: And then I can either not say a word, or correct the child. Notice in my first example, I did not choose silence? I let the child know that I am waiting to tell him when he is older about how babies are made. See the difference? Apples and oranges really.

Shalom Emily Anne,

Amen, I agree. Let's call it as it really is. :th_praying:

Guest Biblicist

Now, My child comes up to me and says "Santa is wonderful! He can see me when I am awake and when he is asleep and he loves all the little children and he is just the greatest man ever and is omnipresent! :emot-hug::laugh::laugh::laugh: And then I can either not say a word, or correct the child. Notice in my first example, I did not choose silence? I let the child know that I am waiting to tell him when he is older about how babies are made. See the difference? Apples and oranges really.

That's a good point, Emily Anne. :th_praying:

Santa is said to be able to "see you when you're sleeping, and knows when you're awake. He knows when you've been bad or good"... Yet those are attributes only God has, so elevating Santa to the omnipresent state would be elevating him to a god like status would it not?

What's it called when you elevate someone to God's position in your life? The word escapes me at the moment!