• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

There is no evidence that the book of Enoch that people know today is the same book referenced in Jude. The other old books that exist today that are not in scripture are interesting reading, but are not the inspired word of God.

Actually the book of Enoch was among the books found in the Dead Sea Scrolls. Have you read any of those books to find out if they inspire you or bless your heart? I can tell you that the book of Enoch blessed my heart. He praises God more then any book that is in the bible today. Just because it is not in the bible doesn't mean that it was not inspired by God. There many books written by many pastors and laypeople that are blessed by God and Help many better understand the bible.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  55
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/26/1969

Why are books quoted in the bible, that are not in the bible. In the new tetement, as well as the old testement, there are quotes, that are not from biblical books. example:

Jude 14 quotes from the book of Enoch. The book of Enoch is not in the bible. Now one of my friends thinks that in his book, Enoch exposed or revealed something that the people who put the bible together, did not want the public to know. So it was rejected. This is weighing on my brain so I'm just looking for clarifaction.

Shalom,

The reason these books are quoted is because they didn't have an "authorised canon" of the scriptures at that time, and many other books that are not in the present "canon" were read and used in their synagogues and studied by scribes and rabbis. There are actually more books than are in the Apocrypha, upwards to about 120, and these are of Old Testament writings alone.

now about the book of Enoch, the original was written by a group known as the B'ney ha N'vi'im, the Sons of the Prophets. notice the manner in which the book begins:

"The words of the blessing of Enoch, wherewith he blessed the elect and righteous, who will be living in the day of tribulation, when all the wicked and godless are to be removed. And he (the one relating the story to the one writing it) took up his parable and said -Enoch a righteous man, whose eyes were opened by God, saw the vision of the Holy One in the heavens, which the angels showed me (Enoch), and from them I heard everything, and from them I understood as I saw, but not for this generation, but for a remote one which is for to come. And concerning the elect I said, and took up my parable concerning them...etc"

notice that it is written in a manner of one person relating the story of another. the tradition is that the Sons of the Prophets, around 300bce, even earlier, received visions from the Holy One of Blessing, much like how Mosheh did when writing the history of creation in Genesis, they saw the past. there is, however one section of the work that was added by Christians around 100ce. it would be the section concerning the parables (Chapters XXXVII-LXXI). this can be varified by the Dead Sea Scrolls, which lack this section in their copy of the Book of Enoch which was dated 200bce.

though they are not referenced by the Sh'lichim (Apostles), there are alot of quotes and references from these book throughout the B'rith Chadashah (New Testament).

B'Yeshua,

Z'ev Yochanan

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

"There are also many things which Jesus did, which if they should be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain all the books that should be written." ~St. John (A.V.)

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

Why are books quoted in the bible, that are not in the bible. In the new tetement, as well as the old testement, there are quotes, that are not from biblical books. example:

Jude 14 quotes from the book of Enoch. The book of Enoch is not in the bible. Now one of my friends thinks that in his book, Enoch exposed or revealed something that the people who put the bible together, did not want the public to know. So it was rejected. This is weighing on my brain so I'm just looking for clarifaction.

Shalom,

The reason these books are quoted is because they didn't have an "authorised canon" of the scriptures at that time, and many other books that are not in the present "canon" were read and used in their synagogues and studied by scribes and rabbis. There are actually more books than are in the Apocrypha, upwards to about 120, and these are of Old Testament writings alone.

now about the book of Enoch, the original was written by a group known as the B'ney ha N'vi'im, the Sons of the Prophets. notice the manner in which the book begins:

"The words of the blessing of Enoch, wherewith he blessed the elect and righteous, who will be living in the day of tribulation, when all the wicked and godless are to be removed. And he (the one relating the story to the one writing it) took up his parable and said -Enoch a righteous man, whose eyes were opened by God, saw the vision of the Holy One in the heavens, which the angels showed me (Enoch), and from them I heard everything, and from them I understood as I saw, but not for this generation, but for a remote one which is for to come. And concerning the elect I said, and took up my parable concerning them...etc"

notice that it is written in a manner of one person relating the story of another. the tradition is that the Sons of the Prophets, around 300bce, even earlier, received visions from the Holy One of Blessing, much like how Mosheh did when writing the history of creation in Genesis, they saw the past. there is, however one section of the work that was added by Christians around 100ce. it would be the section concerning the parables (Chapters XXXVII-LXXI). this can be varified by the Dead Sea Scrolls, which lack this section in their copy of the Book of Enoch which was dated 200bce.

though they are not referenced by the Sh'lichim (Apostles), there are alot of quotes and references from these book throughout the B'rith Chadashah (New Testament).

B'Yeshua,

Z'ev Yochanan

Cool! Where did you get this info?

• 2 weeks later...

Shalom,

B'Yeshua,

Z'ev Yochanan

Cool! Where did you get this info?

Shalom,

sorry this has taken so long, but i don't have my own computer and i am forced to use my brother's or my sister's whenever i get the chance, also with Chanukhah going on i have been rather busy.

it's times like these that i wish i had my notes. the only thing that comes to mind is "The Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha" a two volume set translated and commented upon by Charles. i don't recall his first name, and he's not to be confused with Charlesworth. these volumes are filled with notes and references. if i remember correctly Charles speaks about the Sons of the Prophets, but it may also be something i had read from a translation of the Book of Enoch. 1 and 2 M'lakhim (Kings) makes mention of these Sons of the Prophets also. i hope this is helpful.

Shalom v'Chesed b'Yeshua,

Z'ev Yochanan Valdron

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/20/1984

The Book of Enoch was probably not written by Enoch. I've read and heard that the authorship may have been a group of rabbi's rather than just one person. It's interesting to read (look it up online), but it was never considered canon. In other words, Bible scholars use it as a history book and they use it for grammer/interpretation purposes, but don't consider it inspired by the Holy Spirit. It is not included in the Jewish Tanakh, either.

There are other books mentioned in Scripture that have been lost. For instance, Joshua 10:13 and 2 Samuel 1:18 both refer to the Book of Jasher. Now, you can also look this up online, but what you find is more than likely not what is referred to in Scripture. Numbers 21:14 mentions the book of the wars of the LORD. Again this is lost to time.

The men who translated our Bible and who decided which books to include did a wonderful job. They were led by the Holy Spirit just as the men who wrote these books were so inspired.

<>< ><>

Nathele

I was recently reading the dead sea scrolls one of the books is called the war between darkness and light or something close to that. There are several different non-canon books which were found with the dead sea scrolls which talk about God and the war between good and evil... also discusses 200+ fallen angels, by names who are trying to overpower God. Goes into great details about the war which is supposedly impending.

Heatherxoxox

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/20/1984

Just browsing online and looked up book of enoch....

Quotes from the book

But to them shall he give peace: he shall preserve the elect, and towards them exercise clemency. 1:7

Then shall all belong to God; be happy and blessed; and the splendour of the Godhead shall illuminate them. 1:8

(theres our eternal life) heheh

1Behold, he comes with ten thousands of his saints, to execute judgment upon them, and destroy the wicked, and reprove all the carnal for everything which the sinful and ungodly have done, and committed against him. 2:1

(apparently theres alot of us)

All who are in the heavens know what is transacted there. 3:1

(theres our wisdom we will receive from God)

Therefore your days shall you curse, and the years of your lives shall perish; perpetual execration shall be multiplied, and you shall not obtain mercy. 6:6

(Notice it says "your days shall YOU curse"... we are responsible for our blessings and cursings by CHOICE)

These are the names of their chiefs: Samyaza, who was their leader, Urakabarameel, Akibeel, Tamiel, Ramuel, Danel, Azkeel, Saraknyal, Asael, Armers, Batraal, Anane, Zavebe, Samsaveel, Ertael, Turel, Yomyael, Arazyal. These were the prefects of the two hundred angels, and the remainder were all with them.

Then they took wives, each choosing for himself; whom they began to approach, and with whom they cohabited; teaching them sorcery, incantations, and the dividing of roots and trees. 7:9-10

(this is what the fallen angels are doing among earth... convincing humans they are what they are not)

1Moreover Azazyel taught men to make swords, knives, shields, breastplates, the fabrication of mirrors, and the workmanship of bracelets and ornaments, the use of paint, the beautifying of the eyebrows, the use of stones of every valuable and select kind, and all sorts of dyes, so that the world became altered.

2Impiety increased; fornication multiplied; and they transgressed and corrupted all their ways.

3Amazarak taught all the sorcerers, and dividers of roots:

4Armers taught the solution of sorcery;

5Barkayal taught the observers of the stars, ch. 9

(this is what the fallen angels did to the humans, this is how we became lost and furthur from God, with our own desires and vanities)

This is excellent book and theres alot more!!!!

http://reluctant-messenger.com/1enoch01-60.htm#Chapter01

Heather

I was recently reading the dead sea scrolls one of the books is called the war between darkness and light or something close to that. There are several different non-canon books which were found with the dead sea scrolls which talk about God and the war between good and evil... also discusses 200+ fallen angels, by names who are trying to overpower God. Goes into great details about the war which is supposedly impending.

Heatherxoxox

Ah yesh, the D.S.S

i have spent the better part of 15 years researching the Qum'ran texts. so much so that my brother used to call me "Scroll Skull" :) the Gonzaga University Foley Center (where i live) has several volumes of the D.S.S. with the hebrew/aramaic text on one page and the english translation on the opposite page. not to mention there are literally hundreds of books published by scholars of every background. the problem with all these various books and scholars is that you have various opinions about these mysterious documents, like new age philosophy, Yeshua and Yochanan were Essenes, and other such stuff that are as wacky as they are spaced out. :)

some say the Essenes were mystics and early Kabbalists. but from the research i have done, they weren't. they merely expounded upon various texts like the Book of Enoch, the Books of Adam and Eve, and the many apocalyptic texts of their time. much of their doctrine came from these books. the 200+ fallen angels were of a second falling of angelic beings, the first being that of "Lucifer" who is called Heylel ben Shachar in the Hebrew of Isaiah 14. the Book of the Wars of the Children of Light and Darkness is about the final apocalyptic battle between the followers of the Covenant and the Children of Belial. they believed in the coming of two Messiahs, and the spirits of truth or error influencing the hearts and minds of every one. they were truly a remarkable group, and despite the disagreement i have with many of their ideas, i would have loved to have hung out with them ;)

Yochanan

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  923
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  10/03/1974

I also have read the book of Enoch, as part of my study in Genesis, I am not the most learned Bible student here, however I would issue caution when considering whether this book is to be relied upon as evidence. In short the book of Enoch sounds different, it seems somehow off tune to me. I would sincerely discourage you, unless you felt led to by God to investigate this issue.

However should you decide to continue with your couriousity into the book of Enoch, I ask you to remember that there were two Enoch's. Enoch the descendant of cain, whom the first city/town was named after and Enoch the descendant of Seth.

The question I guess I have is, considering the times within, which Enoch wrote the book?