Should I or Shouldn't I

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Here is my dilemma. I talked to a pastor at my church and told him that I wanted to help at church in some way. He gave my name to a person who is starting a Prayer Team. Part of your obligation would be to pray with people at church during the last set of worship songs. My problem is that I am really bad at praying outloud. I am shy, I get nervous, I lose track of what I want to say, my prayers are short, no frills. Many people at my church are good at prayer. They really seem to be able to get to the heart of the matter and you feel good after they pray for you. I have just started praying out loud for people and I am sure I do not always instill any sense of peace for the people I pray for. I love to talk to the Lord. I pray for people all the time in private. I know the Lord loves to hear my prayers. The other part of this is that they will have a weekly meeting where they will discuss prayer and learn more about it. Also praying for the requests that come into the church that week and other topics as well such as our government, teachers, etc. This would be great for me and then maybe I could be of more help in the future. But I don't want to seem like I am just a taker and I don't want to give. Any suggestions?

Guest Biblicist

Welcome to Worthyboards! :laugh:

Four questions to ask yourself, the answers should align with scripture...

Why should I do this?

Why should I not do this?

Why would I do this?

Why would I not do this?

Four questions to ask yourself, the answers should align with scripture...

Why should I do this? Throughout the whole bible we are asked to pray for others. Jesus, our perfect example, prayed for everyone including the people who put him to death.

Why should I not do this? I can not think of a biblical reason not to do it. However, Moses asked God if Aaron could speak for him because he was not good with his words.

Why would I do this? To obey God.

Why would I not do this? The bible says "when you pray go into your closet and pray in private and your father will hear you" I have always prayed in private and am just new to praying for other out loud.

Guest Biblicist

I can think of a good reason why you should not do this...

Do you have time?

Will it take you away from "minding for the store" [meaning taking care of home and family first]?

Would you be doing it to make other's feel good, or because God has called you to do it?

If the answer to those is "NO" then your third answer will help you. If God has truly called you to do this, then he will help you make the time, keep your priorities in order and give you a heart for His will instead of accolades. :laugh:

One secret to these types of questions, don't give an answer right away. Take the time to think and pray about it.

Thank you, Your questions have really helped me. I will think and pray about them.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  963
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/10/1963

Blessing to you GG in Jesus Name

My advice is not to frett - let God do the fretting :rolleyes:

His presence will be in the congression and fellowship of his people. His spirit will be moving in the Church. Trust him and he will do the rest :whistling:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Good questions Biblicist....questions that I think we should all aske ourselves before doing anything!

Good answers Gift of Grace.

Now, the last question you answered was that the Bible tells us to pray privatly in a closet. Remember that one of the main things Jesus taught against was a show of religion and not real faith. The Pharisees made a big deal about being more holy than anyone and made a show of religion by praying long and loud in the streets. Jesus wanted our faith to be true and not just a show.

"And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites [are]: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly." Matthew 6:5-6

If you do decide to go through with this wonderful ministry, remember that you aren't on stage....you are just talking to God. The person you are praying for will not be judging your words. It does get easier to pray out loud in front of people the more you do it. I think that God is using you in a wonderful way.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Praying out loud when you're alone will help when you pray out loud with others.

I can think of a good reason why you should not do this...

Do you have time?

Will it take you away from "minding for the store" [meaning taking care of home and family first]?

I know that you said I should take my time and think and pray about this but when you asked this question you could have knocked me over with a feather. I have just be praying about this very thing a few days ago. I talk to the Lord all the time. I was asking him to help me with my time so that I could find the time to do all the things I need to do at home so I am not stressed, angry and crazy. And then I go and contimplate adding another thing to my day. I already work full time. Monday through friday 8-5, I have my own small ministry that makes, collects and sends handmade cards to elderly shut-ins and nursing home residents, I help with the clothing the homeless ministry at our church, I just finished a women's bible study which met once a week, YIKES. It's just that I see so much need and I want to help. And I wonder why these things are brought to my attention if God does not want me to do them? Anyway, I know I need to get my priorities in order. 1. God 2. Family 3. Church. Right?

Guest Biblicist

That is very right sweetie.

There is one very important thing I have learned in recent years. If God is not interested in it, neither should we. If he is interested in it, he will raise up someone to do it.

I know that willing workers sometimes feel that they need to do it all. And churches will monopolize on that. But we need to learn to say "no" in love, in the LORD. He knows we can not do everything, He only expects what He has prepared us to do.

Don't worry about saying "no", it is likely that you are not the only person God has called to this ministry. He knows your limitations and your schedule, he also knows what your schedule will be like later on. So if you still felt really called to do this, know that he will help you organize your life so you can make this part of it.